Free Internet for Diamond Members going AWAY?

larka

We just returned from the October 9th sailing on the Freedom OTS. When reviewing our final bill I noticed two charges for Internet usage, one on my account and one on my wifes account for 19.99 and 9.99. I called Crown and Anchor and Guest services and they took the charges off and stated that one days internet usage is still a benefit for now. The way she answered the question however leads me to wonder Is the Free internet usage for diamond members going away now too!

Free one 24 hour period internet is not listed as a Crown and Anchor Benefit.

Does this vary from ship to ship? Not starting rumors. I am asking is anyone has any clear information.

There are two sets of benefits, one that is listed on their website and the other being the on board benefits that they do not list on their website but which you receive a printout of at the start of your cruise.

I hope not, we're sailing on the Oasis in 3 days, and would love those two free days of internet usage (not going to buy any of the Surf and Stream), don't need to be connected that much.

We are Diamond + and on our 9-10-16 sailing, we only each got 1 - 24 hr free time. I didn't bother to ask where our 2nd 24 hr free time was...didn't have the need to waste time.

When you go to set up an account on your device, the coupon option is available there for your free session. After it expired (right after 24 hrs), I tried to log in again, but there was not another free coupon offer. We didn't need it for work, just to check email and FB, so just used DH access.

If you want/need your entitled 2/24 hr sessions, you may need to go to guest services for help.

We are Diamond + and on our 9-10-16 sailing, we only each got 1 - 24 hr free time. I didn't bother to ask where our 2nd 24 hr free time was...didn't have the need to waste time.

When you go to set up an account on your device, the coupon option is available there for your free session. After it expired (right after 24 hrs), I tried to log in again, but there was not another free coupon offer. We didn't need it for work, just to check email and FB, so just used DH access.

If you want/need your entitled 2/24 hr sessions, you may need to go to guest services for help.

Wouldn't the other person who didn't use their coupon need to create another account? I would assume the coupons are based on the folio number on the sign and sail cards.

Just got off the Freedom on Sunday. Each diamond member must create a separate account to use the one free day of internet. I was traveling with my parents (who are also Diamond), so I was able to have free internet for three days as they did not have a need for internet access. Each day, I needed to create a new account using our separate personal information.

You also have the option of applying your free one as a credit of longer internet packages.

We just returned from the October 9th sailing on the Freedom OTS. When reviewing our final bill I noticed two charges for Internet usage, one on my account and one on my wifes account for 19.99 and 9.99. I called Crown and Anchor and Guest services and they took the charges off and stated that one days internet usage is still a benefit for now. The way she answered the question however leads me to wonder Is the Free internet usage for diamond members going away now too!

Thanks for posting your concern.

I have not heard about that benefit being cut back yet. My next cruise on Royal is not until January, so I hope any doubt gets cleared out by then.

Basic internet should be free like most hotels,

where most people only need to check emails etc,

i can understand the charge for users wishing to use large amounts of data.

no way would i pay for this on a ship,

i'll make sure i use my diamond benefit though,

Celebrity benefit is much better, with a number of minutes over the course of the cruise.

last time i did not use up all my minutes

with Royal can only use on one day :-(

what is the need for that?

maybe i should setup my device to stream 24 hours to make sure i use up all my free allocation :-)

BTW, unless you are under 20 years there are much better things to get upto.

ooh i'm getting old

Basic internet should be free like most hotels,

where most people only need to check emails etc,

i can understand the charge for users wishing to use large amounts of data.

no way would i pay for this on a ship,

i'll make sure i use my diamond benefit though,

Celebrity benefit is much better, with a number of minutes over the course of the cruise.

last time i did not use up all my minutes

with Royal can only use on one day :-(

what is the need for that?

maybe i should setup my device to stream 24 hours to make sure i use up all my free allocation :-)

BTW, unless you are under 20 years there are much better things to get upto.

ooh i'm getting old

There is a difference between a hotel getting a subscription to the local internet provider with a cable and needing to get satellite service on a cruise ship.

Also, don't be surprised if Celebrity switches theirs in the future. Seems the lines are slowly heading to this type of business model for internet.

You've got to set up as separate password for the second coupon. On Oasis I used the D+ coupons for the entire week and only paid approx. $18.

We are Diamond Plus, and should get 2-24 hour sessions each. I understand each person must log in with their folio number to gain access to their own D+ coupons. Why would I need to create a new password for the 2nd coupon? It is supposed to be 2-24 hour coupons for 2 consecutive days. I would have thought after the first 24 hours, I would have had access to the 2nd 24 hours available, per person/folio.

At any rate, we didn't need the access, so I didn't bother to go to guest services to inquire. In the future, I will be sure to ask how it is done, should I need to use more internet time, that I should be entitled to.

I just wanted to point out to Saintsfan007 there could possibly be an issue with the internet access with Diamond coupons on Oasis so he would be more prepared for it.

Edited by debshomespun

We are Diamond Plus, and should get 2-24 hour sessions each. I understand each person must log in with their folio number to gain access to their own D+ coupons. Why would I need to create a new password for the 2nd coupon? It is supposed to be 2-24 hour coupons for 2 consecutive days. I would have thought after the first 24 hours, I would have had access to the 2nd 24 hours available, per person/folio.

At any rate, we didn't need the access, so I didn't bother to go to guest services to inquire. In the future, I will be sure to ask how it is done, should I need to use more internet time, that I should be entitled to.

I just wanted to point out to Saintsfan007 there could possibly be an issue with the internet access with Diamond coupons on Oasis so he would be more prepared for it.[/QU

My Anthem's sea pass did not have a folio #. Had to go to GS for the info.

I didn t think RCCL comment was odd until after the phone call. I did log in on two separate days, under two separate folio numbers, and new passwords. I had checked off the free minutes each log in. RCCL had no explanation as to why we were charged not once, but twice for using our free internet minutes but they did issue a credit.