How Formal is Formal on Med Cruise?

sirenitas

My mom is going on her first cruise in August '17 and is worried about dressing up for dinner. They are going on RCCL to the Mediterranean. She is a dress person but a very casual dress person - she lives in PR and Summer dresses year round is the norm.

I am trying to do some research for her so she does not feel overwhelmed, but I have only done Caribbean cruises myself. I am trying to reassure her that she does not have to spend a fortune on formal dresses she will never wear again. LBD with nice jewelry? Long only or is knee length ok? It is so hard since she is in PR but I am in CO so I cannot go in her closet to see what she already has - she is a Marshall's addict so she will probably shop there for the dresses ;)

Edited by sirenitas

First, I haven't been to the Med. But if I were going (and some day I will), the first thing I would do is look at the times the ship is in port. Many of the itineraries that I have looked at (different lines), the ship is in port until evening time - a lot are there until 8pm. Then take into account that Europeans typically dine later than we do here in the US. Also, I would want to eat in port as often as I could for the culture and authenticity of the foods. Then add to that having traipsed all over to see as much as you can.

With all of those factors, I might be more inclined to hit the buffet (and I'm not a buffet fan) and turn in early to get an early start for the next day. And formal nights aren't what they used to be - with baggage fees and people just not wanting to dress up as much anymore.

I think she would be fine in her dresses, IMO.

Tell your mother not to worry. Pants and a shirt/sweater or a casual dress is perfectly fine all but "formal" night. On that night, an LBD is perfect - no need t go out and buy a formal dress. Knee length of OK. Even on "formal" night, many women now just bring a pair of black pants and some kind of nice top (sparkles, embellishments, chiffon, etc).

No need to go out and buy dresses that she will have no need for In Real Life.

On our Med cruise, my DW wears LBD during formal nights. In our last Med cruise last May on the Emerald Princess, there were more men in tux than in black suit & tie, and long gowns for ladies. Most of them were from the UK, being a Southampton round trip cruise. We didn't feel out of place though. My DW just loved watching the different styles. So, just let your mom be in her dress that she feels good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LBD with nice jewelry?

Perfect.

You can see from my signature that RCI is our preferred line, and we have seen many formal nights. I have seen long gowns and tuxes over the years, but they are becoming less popular as each year goes by. I have never worn a long gown, but a LBD with some jewels and black pumps and my husband proudly took me on his arm for the evening. :)

Tell her not to overthink this. ;) The itinerary means little, in my opinion - Formal Night is Formal Night, no matter where you are, so to speak. Her dresses sound lovely and I know for a fact she will not be turned away from the Dining Room.

On our Mediterranean cruise last month, there were many, many tuxedos and long dresses. I was surprised with the number. My DH wore his tux on most formal nights and felt underdressed when he only wore his sports coat. This was on the Brilliance.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all for the responses. I had mentioned to her that she should not worry too much and just take a couple of her nicer dresses. But since it is her first cruise she is worried about everything - just like I was on our first cruise a few years ago so I can relate ;)

She is a go-go-go traveler and will try to see and do as much as possible. I will mention to her the possibility of being too tired for more than the buffet or room service.

They are going on the Brilliance so I will also mention about the tuxes.

Thanks again!

Edited by sirenitas

I will mention to her the possibility of being too tired for more than the buffet or room service.... They are going on the Brilliance so I will also mention about the tuxes.

Our Med cruise was on Brilliance and it was phenomenal. They will have a wonderful time. It is the perfect sized ship with lots of glass and windows, beautiful decor, and only one of four in the fleet with an outside aft eating area in the Windjammer buffet. My husband and I had every dinner outside and watched the sunset from a different port each night.

Do they have traditional dining (with a set time) or My Time Dining (flexible time)? Just asking.

• 2 weeks later...

A LBD with some bling will serve her well. This is the time to score such clothing at Marshall's. Given the airline restrictions, cruising has changed. Still it is quite easy to fit slinky lightweight clothing into even a carry-on. Tell her not to worry. She will see ALL kinds of dress!

• 2 weeks later...