Can't make a decision for Ama or Uniworld for Rhine next May!

Chef Heather

Hi Everyone,

I had originally posted asking for help to travel as a solo on my first river cruise next year, but hubby is now joining me, woo-hoo!! We want to do the Castles Rhine Cruise in mid-May

So after extensive research I've narrowed it down to either Ama (on the brand new AmaKristina) or Uniworld on the SS Antoinette. Both are from Amsterdam to Basel, French balcony cabin on the middle deck of the ship, roughly same size, and due to Uniworld's 20% sale right now, both priced almost the same. I realize Uniworld is all inclusive.

One note is that the SS Antoinette will actually end in Breisach Germany due to lock renovations, Ama ends in Basel (It appears that only the SS Antoinette is affected). I'm also a bit concerned that Uniworld might be a bit stuffier? Sorry, really not sure what the right word is :(

For those of you who have travelled both, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Caviargal has traveled both, I know, and can compare them directly. She has said that she prefers AMA but had good cruises on both.

I can only say that we loved our cruise on SS Antoinette 2 years ago. You can look at my picture review if you want more details about the trip, which should be similar to yours though we went Basel-Amsterdam. Breisach isn't a bad place to end though it's a shame to miss Basel. I'd take a train there on my own if I were in that situation.

We have friends who love AMA and we would not hesitate to book them based on their recommendation, and other information that we read on CC.

RE: your choice...if Basel is a necessity then AMA will be better for you. If you think that you'll spend lots of money on extras (drinks), then Uniworld may be a better deal because it includes most wine and drinks. AMA seems to have some tours included that Uniworld charges extra for, though the included tours on Uniworld are very good.

I don't think you'll have a bad time on either line, so don't feel as if you have to make a difficult decision. It's hard to pick one over the other because both are quality products. The differences above are some that I think you might consider. Have fun either way.

I wouldn't be concerned about the Uniworld cruise ending in Breisach instead of Basel. The river isn't very interesting between these two points, and in any case the ship sails at night. Those cruises which end in Basel don't have any city excursions unless you wish to purchase a post-cruise extension for Basel and Lucerne.

Breisach is about an hour or less from the Basel Mulhouse airport, so if you are not continuing your travels after the cruise, your transfer will be no problem.

If you wish to visit Basel on your own after the cruise, I would take the ship's transfer to Basel-Mulhouse airport, and a taxi into town from there.

I can't offer any insight as to which line is better in that I've not tried either yet, however, I can say that all inclusive lines are appealing.

I am responding to your post, however, because I know your love of good wines and wanted to tell you about a must see while you're in Breisach. About 10 minutes by foot uphill, is a lovely sparking wine maker/distributor call Geldermann. I ventured up there alone and tasted a couple of different sparkling wines that were lovely. Ended up buying a few bottles at ridiculously cheap prices (15 euros or so). Google them and read about it. Definitely made my visit to Breisach worth it.

A few months ago, I booked the AmaKristina. When Uniworld came out with their new sale, I compared prices, and realized that, even with losing my deposit with Ama, I would save over $1000. The Uniworld cruise also embarked in Basel (Breisach) which is the direction I preferred, as we planned on spending an extra few days in Lucerne, on our own. We will be on the SS Antoinette. The excursions/ports seem to be a little different, and time spent in ports is a little different as well. For example, Ama spends an entire day in Amsterdam, Uniworld doesn't. You might want to look at which ones interest you more.

This will be our third Uniworld cruise, so we do get the extra 10% off. In 2017, Uniworld is also including port fees.

As far as "stuffiness," I assume you mean the decor:D While it is nothing I would furnish my house with, it really isn't offensive in person. And, in fact, a lot of the furnishings are very comfortable. We traveled on Avalon this past spring, and the barstools were awful! Not so with Uniworld-comfy chair style stools with arms.

So, for now, my first Ama cruise will have to wait.....

Robin

Like JP I also sailed on the Antoinette 2 years ago from Amsterdam but like you we had to end in Breisach due to High water. It really wasn't an issue with about an hour and a half transfer to Basel. Uniworld I do believe offers a post cruise trip in Basel and if you take it they will transfer you right to the motel. For us they transferred us to the airport where we picked up our rental car and spent 5 nights in Switzerland post cruise.

We loved the Antoinette and Uniworld. We cruised again with Uniworld last December down the Danube and will be sailing with them in the Venice Lagoon in June. From all accounts AMA is a wonderful line as well. I personally do like the all inclusive nature with no tips or charges for drinks at any time. We found the service top notch and the food was outstanding. We also found the décor to not be how we would decorate our home but enjoyed it for the week and found the ship fabulous in all ways. Some have suggested that Uniworld has a more reserved group of patrons. That has not been our experience. On both cruises people were fun and outgoing. The trip on the Antoinette currently is rated by my wife and myself as our favorite vacation ever.

But as all of have said, don't think you can go wrong with either Uniworld or AMA.

I don't know where people seem to have got the idea that Uniworld cruises are "stuffy". I have now done five with Uniworld and I certainly wouldn't characterize them that way. Nearly everyone I encountered on these cruises seemed to enjoy themselves and have a great time aboard and on the excursions. Perhaps the "no shorts at dinner" rule might seem stuffy to some, but it is a rule I welcome.

I haven't cruised with AMA yet but everything I have read leads me to believe that it is comparable with Uniworld in terms of service, amenities and atmosphere. I have cruised on Viking, but wouldn't put it in the same class as these two.

The passengers I met on Uniworld (with the exception of one well to do family from South America) were the friendliest, most down to earth people. Just ordinary folks, not stuffy at all.

Roz

On my Uniworld cruise the only expense on my onboard account was for postage - I had the front desk mail some postcards for me. It was all inclusive as far as I was concerned.

Roz

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and experiences!! Definately a challenge for me; took a closer look at the day by day. We will be in Amsterdam for about 4 days prior, and then plan on staying in Zurich for another 4 (all on our own). IF I'm comparing them correctly; a main difference I can see is Ama docks overnight in AMS with Day 2 still there and then splitting Day 3 between Cologne and Koblenz. Uniworld departs AMS on Day 1 and then uses a day each for Cologne and Koblenz. And yes, excursions a bit differently.

Does anyone know if either has the opportunity to visit a port in the evening? When they say cruising overnight, does that mean dinnertime or bedtime? (Hope that makes sense)

My concern on "stuffiness" did refer to decor and was afraid it would be more reserved. Definately can see that's not the case!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and experiences!! Definately a challenge for me; took a closer look at the day by day. We will be in Amsterdam for about 4 days prior, and then plan on staying in Zurich for another 4 (all on our own). IF I'm comparing them correctly; a main difference I can see is Ama docks overnight in AMS with Day 2 still there and then splitting Day 3 between Cologne and Koblenz. Uniworld departs AMS on Day 1 and then uses a day each for Cologne and Koblenz. And yes, excursions a bit differently.

Does anyone know if either has the opportunity to visit a port in the evening? When they say cruising overnight, does that mean dinnertime or bedtime? (Hope that makes sense)

My concern on "stuffiness" did refer to decor and was afraid it would be more reserved. Definately can see that's not the case!

As you will be spending 4 days in Amsterdam before the cruise, I think the Uniworld itinerary is the better option. You will have more time in Koblenz for organized excursions and will also spend time ashore in Boppard, a delightful wine town which is much less touristy than Rüdesheim. Each cruise spends half a day in Cologne so there's not much difference there.

Regarding departure times, you should expect most to be at around dinner time for overnight cruises. My Uniworld Rhine cruise also included the Moselle, and was from Basel to Amsterdam, so my experience was slightly different. There were two evenings when the ship didn't depart until about 10PM (Boppard and Speyer) and two overnight stays on the Moselle. The only daytime cruising on the Rhine was the famous Middle Rhine gorge between Rüdesheim and Koblenz where many of the famous castles are located.

Regarding using the ship as a "hotel" on Day in Amsterdam with AMA, of course you can do that--the excursions are not compulsory.

If you haven't done so, for greater details on the Uniworld cruise, check the Cruise Companion for that cruise. You can find it under the "booked Already" menu.

As you will be spending 4 days in Amsterdam before the cruise, I think the Uniworld itinerary is the better option. You will have more time in Koblenz for organized excursions and will also spend time ashore in Boppard, a delightful wine town which is much less touristy than Rüdesheim. Each cruise spends half a day in Cologne so there's not much difference there.

Regarding departure times, you should expect most to be at around dinner time for overnight cruises. My Uniworld Rhine cruise also included the Moselle, and was from Basel to Amsterdam, so my experience was slightly different. There were two evenings when the ship didn't depart until about 10PM (Boppard and Speyer) and two overnight stays on the Moselle. The only daytime cruising on the Rhine was the famous Middle Rhine gorge between Rüdesheim and Koblenz where many of the famous castles are located.

Regarding using the ship as a "hotel" on Day in Amsterdam with AMA, of course you can do that--the excursions are not compulsory.

If you haven't done so, for greater details on the Uniworld cruise, check the Cruise Companion for that cruise. You can find it under the "booked Already" menu.

Thanks laverendrye for your insight; ended up booking Uniworld, I think they are a better fit for everything I wanted to see and do.

Greatly appreciate all the help from everyone:D

Thanks laverendrye for your insight; ended up booking Uniworld, I think they are a better fit for everything I wanted to see and do.

Have a great trip! Hope you love it as much as we did.

I am sure you will not be disappointed... We have cruised 3 times with Uniworld, and would happily cruise with them again.

Our cruises with them (Paris & Normandy, Christmas markets on the Rhine, and Russia) were before they went "all inclusive" - and the increased price as a result of this change has put Uniworld a bit out of our price bracket.

We have cruised once with AMA. It was nice - but not stellar. I would cruise with them again if the stars aligned - realizing that the things that were a disappointment to me could happen with any cruise line (Cruise director not great, wait staff - while pleasant - were VERY new, and therefore the dining experience was a bit of a let down...).

We always enjoyed the attention to detail that Uniworld provides. The decor - while a bit "fussy" for my taste, isn't as "in your face" in person.

Enjoy!! This is a great itinerary. We just re-did the Rhine with Emerald this past September, and it was a wonderful trip. While in Koblenz, try to take the cable car over the river to the fortress... the views are spectacular.

Fran

We did the Rhine/Moselle cruise on Uniworld last year and would absolutely sail with them again--really enjoyed it. Have a great time!