What's so great about the salad bar?

ShelleyQT

I keep hearing about how amazing the salad bar is at Moderno. Is it really so amazing? What's amazing about it?

I'm not usually a salad bar person because salad is such an "everyday" type of thing. When I'm on vacation, there are so many other delicious things to choose, so why would I choose a salad bar?

Hopefully someone here will be able to explain why I should forego some of that naughty delicious food, in favor of a much healthier, (spectacular?) salad bar. :)

It seems to me that the Brazilian places are always known for their salad bars. To me, they're so overrated. But then again no salad bar is really that great to me. I go there for the meat.

Service is pretty good on small ships,,,, where the servers will go and get the meat that you want and serve it.

I did not find that to be the case on the Gem last February. Few servers, mostly no one to be seen. Meat rarely came around. And when it did, it was overcooked and dried out. (Same for the meat in Cagney's, which shares the same kitchen.) My wife and I were really underwhelmed.

We will give Moderno another try on the Jewel in a couple of months and hope that our experience on the Gem was aberrational.

Monderno_1.jpg

Monderno_2.jpg

Monderno_3.jpg

Monderno_4.jpg

Monderno_5.jpg

Monderno_6.jpg

Yeah, I see salad bars like this everywhere I go! Not! Never been to a land based churrascaria, so I can't say how the shipboard ones compare. But in general, they are vastly more extensive than the average salad bar.

I don't consider myself a "salad person", nor is my family. But in Moderno, we all have to have at least two trips before even considering the meats, which I do not much care for at all. They seem to be quite a bit more extensive on the newer, larger ships, maybe just because of lack of space for set up on the smaller ships limits the offerings.

Yeah, I see salad bars like this everywhere I go! Not! Never been to a land based churrascaria, so I can't say how the shipboard ones compare. But in general, they are vastly more extensive than the average salad bar.

I don't consider myself a "salad person", nor is my family. But in Moderno, we all have to have at least two trips before even considering the meats, which I do not much care for at all. They seem to be quite a bit more extensive on the newer, larger ships, maybe just because of lack of space for set up on the smaller ships limits the offerings.

Google search churrascaria salad bar images, and you will see how minuscule Moderni's is compared to those on land.

https://www.google.com/search?q=churrascaria+salad+bar+images&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=ismvn&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&fir=kGqv7_IW1YsZGM%253A%252CYdAyChxhbJoiIM%252C_%253BoAIHbHOfswVm9M%253A%252C256m1236IwsyuM%252C_%253BcVLhm_ZlIdJGfM%253A%252CTfFyi9bPUcW5cM%252C_%253B9osGgyXK5HswuM%253A%252C6z6w3z-fXlU7KM%252C_%253BvHAFODQtn_sTnM%253A%252Cl3M5YfK_a5w2MM%252C_%253BAdI65Jx18B9WXM%253A%252CEHg48QYDPA0ThM%252C_&usg=__m8lz5pge628WwTxRaB0NUfgTi14%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4m5GQ27fQAhVprFQKHSo0B20Q7AkIKg&biw=375&bih=559#q=churrascaria+salad+bar+images&hl=en-us&tbm=isch&imgrc=oSZiJFLVkSEB9M%3A

We would tend to agree about the Monderno service in mega ships. There are not enough servers to get through the entire dining room in a timely manner. We've eaten at Monderno on the Epic, Breakaway and Escape. And it is consistently poor on all ships. You need to get a table next to the galley door and stop the servers as they exit if you want a good selection of products in a reasonable time.

Service is pretty good on small ships,,,, where the servers will go and get the meat that you want and serve it.

We actually did fine with the servers with the meat. They came around pretty regularly and were always smiling. The waiter for our table though was rude and condescending. I've never had a waiter who was so unsuited to be one. As an example, he didn't like where one of my companions put her coffee cup so he moved and told her it would be in the way when he served dessert. We were just chatting and hadn't even ordered any dessert. He just behaved throughout the evening as though we were there to make him happy and that we weren't doing a very good job of it!

Honestly, it looks pretty similar to those I have seen in Moderno on the big ships, but I don't doubt that the land based may be superior, as land based is, in most things. Cagneys may not stack up to a Ruth's Chris, or Le Bistro to a land based French place, but I sure do enjoy them on a cruise. Same goes for the salad bar at at Moderno.

Honestly, it looks pretty similar to those I have seen in Moderno on the big ships, but I don't doubt that the land based may be superior, as land based is, in most things. Cagneys may not stack up to a Ruth's Chris, or Le Bistro to a land based French place, but I sure do enjoy them on a cruise. Same goes for the salad bar at at Moderno.

Unfortunately, those photos didn't come close to doing justice to the land-based Brazilian Steak House salad bars.

It was SO HUGE, it was really breathtaking, and I mean that literally.

There'd be no way to fit all of it into one (or two) photos.

Most of us didn't even consider it a "salad" bar.

There was so much else there, it absolutely could have been used for a substantial full meal.

Time to go back again... Yum!

Salad bars at Brazilian steakhouses are known for being extensive, with lots of salad and side choices. This one is not. For a churrascaria, it's rather small. For people who are maybe only accustomed to seeing a tiny salad bar at their local pizza joint, it might seem huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have dined in this restaurant on Epic and the Star. Both times, the salad bar was extensive with lots of choices. However, on our first time, on Epic, I had no idea how much meat that would throw at us, so I overdid the salad bar. The next time on the Star, I paced myself.

Unfortunately, those photos didn't come close to doing justice to the land-based Brazilian Steak House salad bars.

There was so much else there, it absolutely could have been used for a substantial full meal.

And I admit, I DO fill up on the salad bar! And that's okay!

It looks like the same stuff served in the buffet only add a few little extras and a much better setup and presentation

Moderno isn't all that great btw but for someone who lives where a Brazilian steakhouse is unheard of...

I agree it's very nice and different for them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The salad bar is just there to fill you up so you eat less of the meat. It saves them money.
But it also has to be good enough for people to want to eat it.

For the posters who keep pointing out that the salad bar at churrascaria restaurants on land are better, that's because the meat is also better, so the salads have to be that much more attractive to tempt you away from the meat. And you will pay more than twice as much for the meal on land as you do on board, so I would certainly hope it's a lot better on land.

I didnt read all the reviews but I LOVE salad as some peolple love ice cream. I just love a great salad.

I can tell you the salad bar at Moderno on the Breakaway was a bit disappointing compared to last year (we sailed in August). I really didnt eat too much of the chicken (Im not big into red meat) and the salad bar was just meh to me. I dont like meat in my salad other hhan grilled chicken. I can find more variety in the buffet although I didnt venture there on the Breakaway.

Its just a salad bar with some options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So much of the Moderno buffet is cold cuts.

How gross do you have to be to go to a restaurant where you'll be eating shaved meat non-stop, but you decide to cram in a few handfuls of processed meat as a little appetizer?

I'm not sure what you are referring to as shaved meat. Sounds like you are just trolling. I've been to many Brazilian churascarias since I have Brazilian relatives and moderno is pretty decent. I take offense at you insinuating that I'm gross because I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right- I haven't been to a land based Brazilian Steak House (I never think I can eat enough to justify the cost) but my partner has been to 2 or 3 and he says he could make a full meal from the 'salad' bar. It's not just salad, there's actually hot dishes, fish, stews, hot potato dishes, all sorts of stuff. They didn't have anything like that in Moderno, it was just cold things (and he didn't touch it as he wasn't impressed!).