Question re: Mexican Currency Exchange

reneemurphy

Hello, I'm cruising in March on the Carnival Miracle to the Mexican Riviera. I am wondering what is the best way to exchange US currency for Pesos. Most of the shore excursion information i have seen says it's best to have Mexican Pesos for shopping, etc. Does the cruise ship offer currency exchange services? I would love advice on the best place to perform a currency exchange. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hello, I'm cruising in March on the Carnival Miracle to the Mexican Riviera. I am wondering what is the best way to exchange US currency for Pesos. Most of the shore excursion information i have seen says it's best to have Mexican Pesos for shopping, etc. Does the cruise ship offer currency exchange services? I would love advice on the best place to perform a currency exchange. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have cruised with ports of call many, many, many times to Mexico and never once exchanged currency. Would not alive to do it but, if you want to a commercial bank would probably be the best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've never exchanged currency for Mexico. Everything is priced in dollars. Just bring small bills if you will use a taxi or buy something small because usually you will receive the change in pesos - but not always. For everything else, use a credit card. It is the safest and you get the best exchange.

I don't know where you guys have cruised in Mexico but the prices in stores are in pesos not dollars where I shop.

Right now it's about 20 pesos to the dollar so know your math before you go if you want to use dollars to buy things.

We live near the border in California so we buy pesos at a Cambio(exchange house) in Mexico.

The rate is a little less than the official rate but for us it is better than using our ATM card to withdraw pesos since our bank charges 3% for changing currency and $5 for each ATM international use.

There are cambios near most ports and the exchange rate should be listed.

I agree that most cruisers don't change any money and just use USA $$s so you'll be OK either way.

All merchants near cruise ports accept US dollars. Bring different denominations and they will do the math for you - I've never been ripped-off. Merchants who take plastic will charge in pesos and your credit card company will convert it for you for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every credit card is different!Mine does free currency conversions but many many cards charge 3%to convert.

It is not a "free" transaction but the cost of it is small when you add it into the price.

We don't let merchants "do the math for us".

Yes, you can certainly use USA $$s and the merchant will give you a price in USA $$s but if you see price tags already on merchandise that is in pesos with the same $sign and not automatically in USA dollars.

Ask to be sure. Don't assume.

Perhaps we go more off the beaten track and don't just buy on the dock near the ship??

I don't know where you guys have cruised in Mexico but the prices in stores are in pesos not dollars where I shop.

Right now it's about 20 pesos to the dollar so know your math before you go if you want to use dollars to buy things.

We live near the border in California so we buy pesos at a Cambio(exchange house) in Mexico.

The rate is a little less than the official rate but for us it is better than using our ATM card to withdraw pesos since our bank charges 3% for changing currency and $5 for each ATM international use.

There are cambios near most ports and the exchange rate should be listed.

I agree that most cruisers don't change any money and just use USA $$s so you'll be OK either way.

Yeah, I expect walking across the CA/Mexico border is different than arriving in a cruise port on a cruise ship. I've never had any reason to exchange currency when cruising to Mexico.

Dollars are far more desirable for Mexican merchants to receive. They will hold onto them and convert when the exchange rate is in their favor. A little homework before heading to port: convert the current peso to dollar amount and bring along a little cheat sheet indicating how many pesos in a dollar, a five, a ten and a twenty. Then always offer less than the conversion amount and bargain with the seller. They will bite.

When buying from brick and mortar stores, in hotels, or in "better" restaurants use a credit card. Your bank will convert when paying the bill and even with a small service fee this is safer and more reliable than carting around wads of cash.

I don't think you need to change it but if you do then KNOW the exchange rate before you go because in the port of Cozumel I saw several shops that had the rate listed anywhere from 16 pesos per dollar to 19 pesos per dollar. The same day in a few hours timeframe.

You certainly do not have to exchange, but you will get a better deal if you pay in pesos. There will be cambios and/or a local bank in port. Most of them are in the 18-19 to one area right now. Much better than what most merchants will offer you. Using your credit card will usually be your best rate depending on your bank's charges. Ours is minimal. We also use our debit card to withdraw from the ATM. We are not charged any fees by our bank and are reimbursed for fees charged at the ATM. If you are only purchasing a few items I wouldn't worry about it. US$ are accepted at almost all places in tourist areas.

After many cruises to Mexico I decided to exchange Dollars to Pesos at my local bank. There were some fees required, but I just thought it would be fun to use Pesos.

It wasn't worth it. I will use Dollars going forward.

When we were in Mexico they quoted everything in Dollars. I asked how many Pesos? I constantly found myself converting Dollars to Pesos, and Pesos back to Dollars in my head at every transaction. I spent more time doing math than it was worth. In the end if I saved 50 cents or a Dollar, it just wasn't worth it. Too much thinking for too little pay off. Not worth the bother.

They knew exactly how many Pesos equaled how many Dollars they wanted. They got their money either way for the most part. I might have saved a buck or two here and there, but didn't make up for the fees I paid my back to get the Pesos!

Edited by Richjoxyz