HAL air vs. consolidator vs. DIY - Pros? Cons?

Savoyard

From my experience, cruise line air fares within the US are not a great deal. One way overseas, however, is a great deal. Booked an overseas one way flight with the cruise line last year and paid less than 20% of what the airlines were charging for the same route. Definitely check with HAL to see what they are charging.

This seems to be the case - one way overseas flights are outrageously overpriced - often more than the price of a round trip including the same flight with the same airline. It simply defies logic. I have never found real advantage in booking domestic R/T's using cruise air.

I would at least ask for an airfare quote from HAL.

We saved $500 each using HAL air into Athens and home from Ft. Lauderdale on our October transatlantic, did not buy transfers. We had our choice of flight itineraries, ended up with American to Athens and Delta from Ft. Lauderdale. I was able to choose seats, but those assignments disappeared somehow, still ended up with aisle seats farther back in the plane. Our return flights were changed, giving us an extra hour to our Atlanta layover.

I can't help with your questions about frequent flyer miles and don't know if you are protected any better with HAL air. We have always flown home on disembarkation day, but know that things that happen.

Did you book yourself with the airlines, or did HAL?

Seat selection is a big disadvantage when you book with third parties. They give you the impression you chose your seat but the airline can and will change them. Same thing happens when you book air through various travel sites not allowed to be named here.

We have had our seat selection changed. But only when there was a change of equipment or a change of seat configuration in the scheduled aircraft.

It typically happened when we were booked months in advance. For the past few years we typically book within the 30-60 day window, and have not experienced a seat selection change on any airline.

We have had our seat selection changed. But only when there was a change of equipment or a change of seat configuration in the scheduled aircraft.

It typically happened when we were booked months in advance. For the past few years we typically book within the 30-60 day window, and have not experienced a seat selection change on any airline.

That shorter window does reduce the likelihood of both equipment and schedule "tweaks" - but shooting for a shorter lead time reduces you opportunity to play the timing game for best fares.

We've used HAL through our cruise consultant at HAL several times from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale. The prices and availability were identical to expedia. We chose our seats through HAL. I can apply the miles to my jetblue account with no problem. Not sure about international lines.

But more importantly to us, we were able to put the flights under the trip insurance for the cruise. If we should need to cancel, the flights are refunded with the cruise fare (and they are non-refundable tickets).

BD

We've used HAL through our cruise consultant at HAL several times from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale. The prices and availability were identical to expedia. We chose our seats through HAL. I can apply the miles to my jetblue account with no problem. Not sure about international lines.

But more importantly to us, we were able to put the flights under the trip insurance for the cruise. If we should need to cancel, the flights are refunded with the cruise fare (and they are non-refundable tickets).

BD

I've never had problem putting my flights under my trip insurance. But, then, I book my flights myself, book my cruise or hotel myself, and buy my own insurance (NOT from the cruise line or airline). What issue have you had in the past that made you need to book the airline with the cruise line to get insurance?

I've never had problem putting my flights under my trip insurance. But, then, I book my flights myself, book my cruise or hotel myself, and buy my own insurance (NOT from the cruise line or airline). What issue have you had in the past that made you need to book the airline with the cruise line to get insurance?

I am wondering if it is the cancel for any reason that HAL provides, as most travel insurance have preexisting exclusions.

Slidergirl, What you describe sounds fine. I had honestly never used trip insurance before going on cruises. I have booked cruises with the insurance and then the air separately and left the nonrefundable air hanging.

When I've compared independent trip insurance that would cover the whole deal it did not seem comparable to the ease and price of doing it all through HAL. I do it through my HAL consultant and they do a good job of laying all the options out. I guess I like the simplicity and I haven't found the price to be different.

BD