SHOW TIME CHANGED!!!!! I didn"t do it

kdnurs

IMO there's nothing entitled about expecting a venue to honor a previously made commitment, or if unable to do so to contact the guest and offer workable alternatives.

Making plans for large groups is a huge challenge.

The reservation for 12 people was made months ago. A week before sailing in the midst of all the packing & Christmas madness OP checks their planner and discovers that without notice that previously made reservation is gone & has been replaced with one she didn't ask for and which is unworkable for her.

It would be like making a dinner reservation for 12 people for 8 pm and having the restaurant change it to 10 pm. Booking an early movie/play and having the theatre change it to the late show without notice on land would never be acceptable, it isn't any different on these mega ships, IMO.

To me the true issue is the changing without notice. When I schedule things for a vacation I do it so that I don't have to wait in lines or scramble at the last minute to deal w/ things so that my vacation can be an escape from the type of deadlines/hassles that I deal w/ at work. I do expect the people who happily accept my money for a vacation to fulfill their end of the bargain & deliver what they promised me when they promised to do so w/out sudden switcheroos & if they cancel something they owe me the basic courtesy of alerting me when they do so to enable me to make alternative plans as soon as I can.

Thank-You and I agree 100% ;)

Just a little note to all the slammers out there. There are people who do an awful lot of planning to try and make people, including you have the best vacation they can have and there are the others that sit back and just "show up." Kind of like lead, follow or get out of the way type thing. I have a feeling that the naysayers are followers who don't understand what it takes to organise a significant number of people. Sure, the leaders do it as a part of their desire for organisation genetic makeup but the alternative to have indecisiveness and grumpiness is just an unacceptable option.

So yes, it is upsetting when plans get cancelled and changed for no reason. It's unlikely that "YOU" are going to help to fix it by offering to stand in line for an hour upon boarding while "WE" just sit back and follow.

You see there's much more to what can be seen as merely getting one's knickers in a knot over what appears to be making trivial reservations. That person is trying to make your cruise better. And yes, in the grander scale of world peace, it is trivial.

OP - I feel sorry this happened to you, but mostly I feel sorry for some of the nasty responses you got. I hope you'll enjoy your cruise anyway and get to see Grease at an earlier time.

Cindy

Great post.

Agree there are some "agenda posters" who have insisted on inserting their age-based rants - nonetheless...the original thread post and some others will aid future cruisers.

We received an e mail today also informing us that our reservation for Grease had been changed to 10:30. Our cruise is in March.

Feb and our B2B was changed too, got an email with the change notification.

10:30 PM! I way too late for most people. Seems it was only on the one night.

Didn't read this whole thread but there is a lot of planning to book all these shows to fit with dining times etc. So, when they change a show it really upsets the timing as you may have to move 2 around like I did to make it work for us. If it doesn't work then it could be a mess of cancelling and moving and hoping to find a time then that works. That is why so many want to book early when the times are out to book.

Edited by CVU

I just don't ''get it''....we have cruised 11 times with RC and never once have we planned anything.....I read these boards and laugh at some of the posts.

where is the bed situated, my show times changed, there is no this or that anymore, RC has ruined my vacation etc, etc.....

You go on a vacation to relax, not organise everything like a military operation. and yes, I am ex military, I just don't get why people sweat the small stuff... I mean it's not the end of the world is it !

Can you get old tonight show reruns on the internet over there? Jay Leno had a bit called Judgemental Bastard and it was really funny.

I did have one problem with the aquatheater show on my last cruise. I had made the reservation 3 months ahead for a show that started after our late seating dinner. On the way to dinner we saw in the compass only that the show had been changed to about 45 minutes after our late seating. Had I known it advance I would have made other arrangements.

I do think that on Oasis class ships there were less problems when they opened up the show reservations 45-60 days ahead. That it the way it was in 2011 and 2013. But for my 2015 Oasis cruise the reservations opened up 101 days ahead. More time to screw things up.

To the best of my recollection...no one forces anyone to attend a show on a cruise.

It's hilarious to read about the poo-pooers who attempt to dissuade others using narrow-minded opinions. West Side Story was an oscar-winning story that included gang violence among other things, and yet it didn't seem to dissuade most of the world appreciating it for what it was - a fictitious story piece designed primarily for music entertainment.

Grease is a classic, and for those who don't want to go...there's plenty else to do on the ship. Thanks for your non-attendance...it opens up seats for the thousands who will go to see Grease and enjoy it.

Right?! I was in the 5th grade when it came out in theaters, and I listened to the 8 track all of the time. My kids have seen the movie many times, heck our middle school performed the junior version last year. It's a fun show with great music.

I called...(still in tears)...and nothing can be done:( I have to wait to get on board and PRAY alllllll 12 of us can get in on another night. Right now allll shows are filled...If we keep the late show, the grandchildren can't see it, plus some of the adults will miss it so someone can watch the children. I know about baby sitters, but then again that is an expense we wouldnt have to pay if our original show were still an option....My Christmas spirit is shot to heck right now...Bah humbug RCI....would have been nice to have some advance notice about making changes to MY RESERVATION without MY PERMISSION:mad:....Thank you Bob for trying to help me..you are a tropper

I have yet to read past the first page, but I wanted to give my two cents. We were on the Harmony the week after Thanksgiving. (my live review is in my signature line). I happened to check a week or two before our sailing and noticed our Grease reservation had been changed from 8:30 to 10:00 on the same day. No big deal to me, I was actually kind of surprised that they had a show at 8:30 on the first formal night, since that is usually the Captains Gala and there are events for that going on in the Promenade that they encourage people to attend which we both like to do. I can tell you that you should have absolutely no problem switching your show reservation to another time once on board. I HIGHLY recommend the Royal IQ app. As soon as you get on board, just log in and schedule your show time that you prefer. They will be showing it several times during your cruise. If you had it reserved for the first formal night of the cruise, it is likely changed due to the Captains Gala and events. There are far more things to be stressed and worried over than your show time being moved. Go, enjoy your birthday and have a fabulous cruise on a beautiful ship!!

If the show is like the movie, should kids young enough to have bedtimes even see it? I'm embarrassed to think of how young I was when I saw the movie (and we owned it on laserdisc so I saw it's adult storylines over and over) and wonder what my mom was thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COMPLETELY AGREE! If these children need to be in bed by a certain time (actually any child under the age of 16) they should most definitely NOT be seeing this performance. So many people are used to the "watered down" version of this that you catch on TV. This is by no means is watered down and is just as if you would see it on Broadway. There is rough language and definitely adult situations (even if there is no nudity). I realize that to each their own, but I was absolutely mortified when I saw 10 and 11 year old sitting in the front row at our showing.

Edited by MrsKC08

My show time for Grease also changed from 8 PM to 10:30. After coordinating for our group, I was a bit annoyed they changed it too. There was no reason explained for it and now we are kind of stuck with it since we have all the other shows on the other nights.

I know at least one person in our group won't stay up that late for the show (my dad) so he will most likely go standby during an earlier show and watch it alone. Not ideal, but it will work.

My cruise is not until April but it sounds like they are making changes on several different sailings.

Happy Birthday to you and enjoy your cruise!

I could SCREAM!!!! Doing some final checking for my Harmony Cruise next week and saw my early time for GREASE has been changed to 10:30 :mad: My grandchildren will not be awake then and a good possibility I might not be. RCI has ruined my birthday before it even gets here...UGhhhhhhhhh .....I have my confirmation from back in July my family has early viewing. What happened and if anything what can be done...so so sad right now:(

I had similar problems with schedule changes to both Grease and the Fine Line that occurred the week before we sailed in November on Harmony. I understand your frustration--we also had a large group booked for these shows, and there was no availability--I was told to try once we boarded.

My suggestion it to make this your priority when you board, go immediately to Guest Services--and board as early as you can. There was a line forming early, and many people were there for entertainment schedule changes.

Good luck--I hope you are able to see the show with your family!

Our Grease show also changed to 10:30 from 8:00 but I was pleased because I hadn't gotten around to changing our dinner time, which we booked for 7:30 every night across the board. I was just getting around to being conscious of the fact that if we wanted to eat in the dining room that night we were going have to eat at 5:30 and was planning on changing our dinner reservations. So glad I wasn't my usual organized self or I'd have let go of a 7:30 dinner for no good reason.

We hate eating early; cuts into the pool deck time.

After horrendous issues with Quantum reservations, and a shortened Anthem cruise (started a day late) and having to rebook some of those shows/dinners, I was not going to let Harmony get me upset anymore. But I sure can understand and sympathize with those who are planners. We are going with another couple, and for the last five years have managed to link our reservations - but not this year. So it required us to book separately for each and every item.

So many issues could be avoided if RCCL didn't open dining up so far in advance, and just opened everything up at the same time. Also, it was so clear from the schedule that dinner wasn't going to work well with whatever day you picked for Grease, so who knows why they didn't offer up a late show at the get go?