Worried first timer

Malemew

Hi,

I've never cruised before but am doing 2 back to back Caribbean cruises with ncl in January from Miami. Luckily we have an alcoholics drinks pack included.

People are giving me mixed messages about what to expect, is anyone able to help with the following:

Should you book excursions with ncl / via an online agent / at the port

Service charge : can it be removed? i know members of the party say it can, but online reviews say it can't. Would be nice to know where we stand on this.

Dress code : is it really an informal as people say? Again I'm getting mixed

Thanks in advance and apologies if this duplicates any other post

Responses below...

Hi,

I've never cruised before but am doing 2 back to back Caribbean cruises with ncl in January from Miami. Luckily we have an alcoholics drinks pack included.

People are giving me mixed messages about what to expect, is anyone able to help with the following:

Should you book excursions with ncl / via an online agent / at the port This is a totally personal decision. If you're afraid of missing the ship, then book through the line. If you want a less expensive (usually), more personal, and less crowded excursion, book independently. I would not book through a booking agency--go straight to the independent vendor. Check trip advisor and the ports of call forum hear on CC to find reputable tour providers.

Service charge : can it be removed? i know members of the party say it can, but online reviews say it can't. Would be nice to know where we stand on this. For U.S. passengers it cannot be removed on the ship. I don't know the process for passengers from the UK. I don't understand why you're asking about this--are you anticipating poor service? I know tipping is a "U.S. thing" and many cultures aren't used to it and don't understand it. But, this is how the crew is paid. Personally, I consider it part of the cost of cruising.

Dress code : is it really an informal as people say? Again I'm getting mixed Without knowing what people say and what you're being told, it's impossible to answer this question. NCL doesn't have formal nights, but you can dress up if you want. There is one main dining room and one specialty restaurant (Le Bistro) where you can't wear shorts.

We have cruised many times with NCL and are from the UK so perhps I can give you a UK slant on your questions:

We tend to book excursions direct with the tour operator at each port online before we travel. Part of this is to do with price but also you can tailor more to meet exactly what you want to do.

Service charge : can it be removed? i know members of the party say it can, but online reviews say it can't. Would be nice to know where we stand on this.

NEVER felt the need to remove them always had excellent service - but I understand you now have to fill in a form with your reasons etc and after you return NCL will refund your DSC (no refund onboad anymore).

Entirely up to you. You will see people in DJs, business suits and just shirt and trousers in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants. You don't need a tie but you can if you want to!

I hope this helps.

What are DJs? Just curious--never seen that abbreviation for anything but disk jockey and I'm pretty sure you don't mean that! :D

DJ = dinner jacket. Very British. :)

OP: even if you can do it, please don't remove the Daily Service Charge. This goes to a lot of crew, including behind the scenes, who work hard to make sure you have a wonderful cruise. Which I hope you do!

DJ = dinner jacket. Very British. :)

OP: even if you can do it, please don't remove the Daily Service Charge. This goes to a lot of crew, including behind the scenes, who work hard to make sure you have a wonderful cruise. Which I hope you do!

We have no plans to remove it, it's just a very bizarre thing to get my head around. You pay for a cruise and then judging by the replies here, pay for the crews salary ontop. This feels morally wrong to me in some ways. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point, but shouldn't the cruise line be paying their staff regardless? I always tip for good service, at my own discretion, just feels a bit cheeky that we don't have that choice.

Hi,

I assume you were instead planning to tip the people in front of you as you go, right? The only problem with this plan is that other than your room steward, you'll likely not see the same person twice when it comes to waiters. They get shifted all around daily sometimes, and the Daily Service Charge covers way more people than just room stewards and waiters, like buffet folks and others you never see but whose hard work makes your cruise enjoyable. So if you withhold it, lots of people getting shafted.

It's the way the pay is set up in many service positions in the US. Waiters get maybe $2 something per hour. The rest is tips. You may not agree with it philosophically, but that's the way things are here. When I go to the UK, I will abide by your way of doing things, agree or not. It will be so much easier for you to just let the DSC take care of your tipping so you can relax and enjoy your cruise.

Hi,

Hopefully this helps.... it is really a personal decision on if you book with ship or if you setup excursions independently. If you book with the ship you are guaranteed that the ship will not leave you if you are late. It is also a bit more expensive. If you book independently then it is less expensive, however you run the risk of being left behind by the ship if you are late.

Service charge is used to pay all the staff that has helped you during your cruise. You do have the option after your cruise is done to contact NCL and get your DSC fees refunded if service was not good.

Dress code. I have seen many people who choose to dress up during the cruise. However, you do not have to dress up if you do not want to.

Be prepared to have tons of fun! Especially since you have the drink package. You will absolutely have a great time on NCL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My post said it was our first time cruising. I think you could have maybe offered a better response maybe suggesting what the service charge goes towards. We don't know what happens to it, but by your response I guess it is going to paying the staff wages??

Think you've been set upon here unfairly ....as you say it was an inocent question being asked! Very emotive Subject but....

It is your cruise and your right to do/act as you feel

You can have them removed at the customer service desk, in theory daily but they prefer you to wait until the last night.

You can then tip the individuals that you prefer directly.

It's all about choice and how YOU recognise who YOU want

Happy sailing :cool:

We have no plans to remove it, it's just a very bizarre thing to get my head around. You pay for a cruise and then judging by the replies here, pay for the crews salary ontop. This feels morally wrong to me in some ways. Maybe I am misunderstanding the point, but shouldn't the cruise line be paying their staff regardless? I always tip for good service, at my own discretion, just feels a bit cheeky that we don't have that choice.

I think it's especially odd for people from a non-tipping culture. It's actually financially beneficial for the crew to be paid this way--there are typically tax benefits for them. I don't know this directly, but this topic has been discussed to death here, and that's been posted many times. One way or the other the passengers pay the crew's salary--whether it's through higher fares or through the gratuity system. You'll soon learn this is a hot-button topic here on CC.

Hi malemew

The service charge is a good thing! It removes the confusion of tipping who-and-how-much and means you can relax and enjoy the cruise without worrying about it. The US tipping customs can be difficult to adjust to, but just pay the DSC and you're sorted. No need to leave a tip at meals or anything. I'm assuming you'd usually tip around 10% when eating out at home for good service? So just think of it as tips for all your meals covered just like you'd pay normally- plus some for your cabin steward etc, as its custom in the US to tip this type of service staff.

Some do tip extra on top of the service charge, but unless someone really goes out of their way for you and you want to then no need.

My post said it was our first time cruising. I think you could have maybe offered a better response maybe suggesting what the service charge goes towards. We don't know what happens to it, but by your response I guess it is going to paying the staff wages??

As you can see I'm from the Uk and on my first NCL cruise 6 years ago did wonder about the DSC as it seemed a lot. I had no worries, service everywhere was excellent and I gave extra to steward on top.

The NCL website gives details on what it pays for, just treat it as part of the holiday costs, I always prepay anyway, and remember you are under no obligation to pay more.

(Alcoholics package:):))

Think you've been set upon here unfairly ....as you say it was an inocent question being asked! Very emotive Subject but....

It is your cruise and your right to do/act as you feel

You can have them removed at the customer service desk, in theory daily but they prefer you to wait until the last night.

You can then tip the individuals that you prefer directly.

It's all about choice and how YOU recognise who YOU want

Happy sailing :cool:

Is that a British booking rule thing where you can remove them on board the ship? Because for U.S. guests they have to send in a form post cruise.

The best way to think of the DSC is to not think about it. Go through the booking process, add whatever is needed to cover the promos (if extra is needed), calculate the DSC ($13.50 or $15.50 per person per day for those 3 years-old or older), and find your total (after taxes, port fees, etc.).

If the total is ok with you, enjoy your cruise. If not, look to cut back on stateroom choice, promo gratuity, or something else. Don't think of saving a few bucks by reducing the DSC.

If something happens onboard (good or bad) which causes you to increase or decrease your total, you have that right but to "hope" for a reason to reduce the DSC isn't the way to go.

Thanks for all of your responses and well wishes for the cruise. And champagne123, if your ever over in the UK let me know and I'll be happy to show you around and show you how Great it is :)

Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!!! Sooooo much fun!!!

1. Charging you a set price for your cruise, then slapping semi-mandatory "gratuities" on top of it is (IMHO) wrong and dishonest. However, almost all the cruise lines do it and if you don't pay these "gratuities," the people you're stiffing are not the bigwigs who make these decisions, but rather the waiters and stewards and other low-level employees who bust their butts to make your cruise a pleasant experience. The only ethical way to not pay these fees is to take advantage of a "free gratuities" offer from NCL or other cruise line when offered: in that case the cruise line, not you, pays the gratuities and nobody gets stiffed.

2. The GF and I always do the cruise line-offered shore excursions, but it's for a unique reason in our case: a good friend of my GF was celebrating her honeymoon with a Caribbean cruise. The new couple thought they'd save money in Jamaica and just hire a local for a "tour" of that area of the island. Well, the local drives them out into the middle of nowhere, pulls a gun out and announces that a return trip to the ship will be $400 cash. If they can't or won't pay it, he'll kick them out of the Jeep in the middle of a very sketchy area of a very foreign country. Fortunately, they paid the money and were returned safely to the port, but my GF is a little gun-shy about local tours for this very reason. Of the foreign ports we've been to (Ensenada, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel), only the Caymans seemed safe enough for us to want to do a local tour if we ever return. YMMV, of course.

2. The GF and I always do the cruise line-offered shore excursions, but it's for a unique reason in our case: a good friend of my GF was celebrating her honeymoon with a Caribbean cruise. The new couple thought they'd save money in Jamaica and just hire a local for a "tour" of that area of the island. Well, the local drives them out into the middle of nowhere, pulls a gun out and announces that a return trip to the ship will be $400 cash. If they can't or won't pay it, he'll kick them out of the Jeep in the middle of a very sketchy area of a very foreign country. Fortunately, they paid the money and were returned safely to the port, but my GF is a little gun-shy about local tours for this very reason. Of the foreign ports we've been to (Ensenada, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel), only the Caymans seemed safe enough for us to want to do a local tour if we ever return. YMMV, of course.

Which is why you should always do your research and go with reputable independents. Both the port of call forum here on CC and trip advisor have reviews from travelers who have used various tour guides. It's very rare that I would walk off the ship and just hire someone to take me on a tour. You have to use common sense!

Believe me the staff more than earn those tips. By the time you get off the ship there will most likely be someone you slip an extra 20 or so to.

The tipping is how they keep the prices so low. Compare the cost of cruising today to cruising 50 years ago. Look at the amenities and what cruising offers today compared to 50 years ago. Now adjust for inflation. Cruising, even when including the tips, is way cheaper today than it was back then.

If by some chance you feel your cabin steward is not earning his pay contact the right people with a specific complaint and it will be taken care of.

The best way to think of the DSC is to not think about it. Go through the booking process, add whatever is needed to cover the promos (if extra is needed), calculate the DSC ($13.50 or $15.50 per person per day for those 3 years-old or older), and find your total (after taxes, port fees, etc.).

If the total is ok with you, enjoy your cruise. If not, look to cut back on stateroom choice, promo gratuity, or something else. Don't think of saving a few bucks by reducing the DSC.

If something happens onboard (good or bad) which causes you to increase or decrease your total, you have that right but to "hope" for a reason to reduce the DSC isn't the way to go.

1. Charging you a set price for your cruise, then slapping semi-mandatory "gratuities" on top of it is (IMHO) wrong and dishonest. However, almost all the cruise lines do it and if you don't pay these "gratuities," the people you're stiffing are not the bigwigs who make these decisions, but rather the waiters and stewards and other low-level employees who bust their butts to make your cruise a pleasant experience. The only ethical way to not pay these fees is to take advantage of a "free gratuities" offer from NCL or other cruise line when offered: in that case the cruise line, not you, pays the gratuities and nobody gets stiffed.

So you would rather pay $135 more at final payment for a 10 day cruise 90 days before the cruise rather than at the conclusion of the cruise? You can pay the DSC at final payment so you won't have to at the end of the cruise. Some would rather pay as late as possible.

You are not paying the crew's salary. The crew gets a base salary as determined by the cruise line and paid by them. What you are paying with the DSC is their gratuity, or tips. Keep in mind the base salary is probably pretty small by our standards, but depending on where they are from, it may be better money than many can make at home. I would think the DSC might make up a pretty good proportion of their pay, but no cruiseline puts this info out.

Is it "cheeky"? No more than having a service charge tacked onto my meal at a UK restaurant perhaps? And then having that service charge be used to pay the staff perhaps? Where is my choice there? My point is that I don't understand your system when it comes to service and gratuity in the UK. But I would abide by it when there, regardless. It's the polite thing to do when in someone else's country. You may not understand our system, but perhaps while in the US, or on a US based cruiseship, you should abide by our way of doing things.

If you encounter bad service, you can go to Guest Services and let them know so that it can be remedied. If it's not fixed, tell them you want the service charge adjusted at the end of the cruise and they will give you the form. Service is generally very good on all our cruises. I really don't expect that you will find anything severe enough to warrant asking for all of your DSC back, and in fact, I don't think you will find grounds to take back any of it.

Passengers arem't really paying the crew's "salary," but the crew are paid less than they should be because passengers are expected to tip. In the U.S. (and I realize this is a cultural difference), salaries for people working in the service industries (a restaurant waiter is a prime example) are really lower than they should be, because, in our culture, customers are expected to "tip" these workers.

In the old days of cruising, you'd give a big cash tip at the end of your cruise to your cabin attendant and your waiters, and that would be that. But in more recent years, and especially as cruise lines have introduced freestyle and anytime dining, where you don't necessarily have the same wait staff each night, and where, in any event, you never even get to meet many of the folks who are making it a great cruise for you, the cruise lines have formalized the tipping into a daily service charge. (Each line calls it something else.) I totally understand what you are saying. I just look at it as part of the cost of the cruise.

This is our American tipping culture. I'm not defending it, just explaining it.

It's not just NCL. Most of the cruise lines do including P & O and Cunard although now that I think about it I believe they are now owned by a US company.

I don't like the way it is done either but I would never consider removing the DSC as the crew does work very hard, and with exception of one waiter, have all been lovely and do everything they can to make your cruise great.

First cruises, first anything really, are a little worrying but I'm sure once on board your worries will be over. Our first cruise we did all ship's tours after that usually private based on reviews on Cruise Critic, TripAdvisor etc.

Enjoy.