Dressing for dinner on an Alaska Cruise

momoftwinteens

Hello and Happy Holidays to all of my fellow cruise-aholics!

I am looking for some advice concerning clothes for my up-coming cruise to Alaska. My travel companions and I like to dress for dinner. Nothing really fancy but, not shorts and t-shirts, either. Normally, during a cruise to the Caribbean, for instance, I would pack summer dresses and sandels. However, since my cruise is to Alaska, I am wondering if I would be warm enough. I know that I wouldn't be able to go outside like that, unless I like goosebumps but, what about INSIDE the ship?

Any advice would be appreciated.

we wore jeans and long sleeves to dinner on the Sun in September. most were cold from the day (our sailing was unfortunately very wet). this was MDRs. we wore khaki's/skirt the night we ate in Cagneys, but again, long sleeves adn sweaters. we were just so cold all week, to the bone.

Inside the ship the temperature will be similar to any other cruise.

Even in the Caribbean I always take a lightweight sweater since sometimes dining room or other public venues are cool. I'd expect the same on Alaska cruise.

Hello and Happy Holidays to all of my fellow cruise-aholics!

I am looking for some advice concerning clothes for my up-coming cruise to Alaska. My travel companions and I like to dress for dinner. Nothing really fancy but, not shorts and t-shirts, either. Normally, during a cruise to the Caribbean, for instance, I would pack summer dresses and sandels. However, since my cruise is to Alaska, I am wondering if I would be warm enough. I know that I wouldn't be able to go outside like that, unless I like goosebumps but, what about INSIDE the ship?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Inside the ship the temperature is kept about the same as it is in the Caribbean. You might find some days in AK where the temperature reaches the 80's or your entire cruise the temperatures might be no higher than the low 50's. The key is layers. Inside the ship is kept pretty constant, but you might be chilly with summer clothes, just because you might never warm up.

I always prefer to be cool rather than warm or hot. I find the indoor temperatures on NCL to be perfect for me to be in short sleeves. I have never felt cold indoors on an NCL ship. Bring things you can layer to quickly adjust temperature and comfort level.

Yes you have to be dressed to go to dinner. PLEASE!

NCL is not the White Star Line where 4th class passengers have to wear tuxes to dinner.

Best to change into something else after wrestling with the bears; fished for Salmon and taking a shower in a Glacier as it calves off.

Bring out the lumber jack plaid; fancy forever in blue jeans; shoes and dine in personal smart cruise casual comfort.

Generally the Aft MDR; Le Bistro and Cagney's are the restaurants in the smart casual concept.

Alaska is a whole different market than sailing in the warm Caribbean seas nor the Long Beach/San Pedro Hollywood Red Carpet fashion exposition !

Yes you have to be dressed to go to dinner. PLEASE!
<br />

<br />

NCL is not the White Star Line where 4th class passengers have to wear tuxes to dinner.<br />

<br />

Best to change into something else after wrestling with the bears; fished for Salmon and taking a shower in a Glacier as it calves off. <br />

<br />

Bring out the lumber jack plaid; fancy forever in blue jeans; shoes and dine in personal smart cruise casual comfort.<br />

<br />

Generally the Aft MDR; Le Bistro and Cagney's are the restaurants in the smart casual concept.<br />

<br />

Alaska is a whole different market than sailing in the warm Caribbean seas nor the Long Beach/San Pedro Hollywood Red Carpet fashion exposition !

I could be wrong but I think the remark about "please dress for dinner" means "don't show up naked". At least that's how I interpreted their remark.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Pants and a top and sometimes a sweater every night. We found Alaska is no different in dress than the other ports. I just switched up to long pants vs capris and the DH switched to long sleeve shirts vs short sleeve. We packed for cold and had beautiful sunshine and warm weather at the end of May except some sprinkles one day. You did not mention which ship but we sailed on the Pearl and everything including ship temperature was perfect.

Have a great time!