American Express offer: $100 off $500+ Cruise Lines

izmeeh

Help! I used my card with the offer yesterday to book a cruise and it was there, saved under offers added to my card, and then when the $500 posted from Carnival the offer disapeared! :eek::eek::eek::eek:It is completely gone now and not because I used it. I never got the "congrats email" about using the offer and it is showing nowhere on my account. I spent 45 minutes on phone with AMEX and they are trying to tell me it never existed. I have a screen shot of it and it does not expire until 5/31/2018. All they would do it open a "complaint ticket" for me and said it could take 8 weeks.

I am soooo mad! Yes, I have a couple other AmEx cards that still have offer but my $500 already posted on this card. Now I am afraid to even try it on my other cards for fear it will magically disappear like this one did.

Any other ideas on what I can do? I am complaining on twitter right now to AmEx in hopes that the negative tweets will get them to call me and handle it.

I don’t know what happened with your transaction but I have used this offer many times. I used it on 3 cards with the last offer that ended 12/17. Which I received the email from Amex within seconds of submitting the charge. With this offer I made the charge over the phone because I was applying the $500 across 3 cabin reservations I have that are linked. The Carnival rep. assured me it would be posted as one $500 charge. I never got the email from Amex. The charge didn’t appear until the next day and it was broken into three charges. I called Amex and they said they could see the offer and that it would be applied as soon as the charges actually posted to my account. They said it didn’t matter that they were separate charges as long as they added up to $500. Well I never got the “you’ve received the statement credit” email but I did get the credit.

Has your charge actually posted to your account or is it still in the pending charges? I wonder if the rep. just wasn’t knowledgeable and it’ll work out like mine?

Help! I used my card with the offer yesterday to book a cruise and it was there, saved under offers added to my card, and then when the $500 posted from Carnival the offer disapeared! :eek::eek::eek::eek:It is completely gone now and not because I used it. I never got the "congrats email" about using the offer and it is showing nowhere on my account. I spent 45 minutes on phone with AMEX and they are trying to tell me it never existed. I have a screen shot of it and it does not expire until 5/31/2018. All they would do it open a "complaint ticket" for me and said it could take 8 weeks.

I am soooo mad! Yes, I have a couple other AmEx cards that still have offer but my $500 already posted on this card. Now I am afraid to even try it on my other cards for fear it will magically disappear like this one did.

Any other ideas on what I can do? I am complaining on twitter right now to AmEx in hopes that the negative tweets will get them to call me and handle it.

Check if it is still pending on your AMX transactions. Also, when you go into your offers in your AMX account you should be able to see under Amex Offers and Benefits.... Available (xx) Added to Card (xx) Savings. Mine shows across the page. When I click on the Savings, I can see offers that I have used and redeemed and the saving. Check there. I may have not gottne an email one time when I used the offer.

Are you sure about the timeline, that you made the charge yesterday and it has already posted to your card today (not still pending)? If that is correct, it would not be unusual for the offer to disappear during the time that it's being processed, and it should show up as redeemed in a day or so and get posted to your account the following day. If it's still pending, then it's a different story, since it should not have disappeared from the list yet.

Also, you said you have a screen shot showing it was loaded to your card. Are you sure the card number matches the one you used?

Hey all! Just to follow up...Yes, I am sure. I have 6 different AmEx cards (between my husband and I) and have used this offer several times the past couple years so I am 100% sure it was gone and I was not going to get the $100. I am wondering if it was because it was my SPG card and I used the backdoor trick to add it to my card that I learned on this board.

Anyways, I still have a happy ending to the story! I went on Twitter and tweeted to AmEx and AmEx offers about getting scammed and my husband and a couple friends retweeted my tweet. Well, guess what? Within 10 minutes AmEx reached out over Twitter how they could help me and to private message them my name. I did and this morning I have a $100 credit on my account but still no history of ever having the offer. Funny how I spent 45 minutes on phone with customer service rep at AmEx and she couldn't help me but a couple bad publicity tweets and they fixed it immediately!!

So glad I found this post! I booked a Carnival Cruise in February and just made my 2nd payment using this offer. I'll be on the lookout for this offer to come out again (and again!) before our cruise next March. LOVE these types of savings! Thanks!

• 5 months later...
Not seeing this on either card I have; is it only Carnival, Carnival Brands, bookings through Amex, etc?

Here’s a screenshot. Previously I’ve booked with a PVP and just paid with my amex that had the offer saved and I was given the credit. Also note that this offer says for reservations booked between 9/5/18-10/15/18. We have Amex everyday cards.

46e9070fa90ba255a98119eca48f5a62.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not seeing this on either card I have; is it only Carnival, Carnival Brands, bookings through Amex, etc?

These have always been very hit or miss. I don't have it on my Delta AMX card but have offer on my everyday card. Good luck if you get them. And you can pay a current reservation within that time period, you don't have to make a new reservation. At least in the past this is how they worked.

These have always been very hit or miss. I don't have it on my Delta AMX card but have offer on my everyday card. Good luck if you get them. And you can pay a current reservation within that time period, you don't have to make a new reservation. At least in the past this is how they worked.

I've been able to pay previously booked reservations also in the past and still get the credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just used it to make a $750 payment on our upcoming cruise. I had an email confirmation of the statement credit within minutes! This is the 3rd offer I have used on that cruise. First the $100 off $500, then the $75 off $350 in July and now this one. I love saving 20% each time.

I get nothing with that link. Web page no longer exists. Tried while logged in also.

That link is from last year's Amex-WLCL offer and Amex shut it down when the offer expired. Now that I think of it, this thread ought to be closed since the offer for which it was originally opened is no longer valid and there's a separate thread for the latest Amex-WLCL offer:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2676043

Edited by joepeka

Offers like this are rarely offered on co-branded cards like Delta. The "back door" link (which doesn't work this time, at least not yet) is the only way to get it on those cards. It wasn't available immediately the last time, so there is still hope that it will work this time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I was able to use one of the past deals to even get on board credit. I had already paid off a cruise (on Princess), and called into Princess' phone line. I purchased $500 of on board credit tied to my paid off reservation, and used my AMEX card to pay for it. I was credited the $100 off by AMEX, for this purchase. AMEX has no way of knowing of what type of transaction is being processed. All they know is that you used their card and made a "qualifying" $500 purchase from a cruise line tied into the promotion. Easy to spend, but if not, the unused funds are 100% refundable.

I was able to use one of the past deals to even get on board credit. I had already paid off a cruise (on Princess), and called into Princess' phone line. I purchased $500 of on board credit tied to my paid off reservation, and used my AMEX card to pay for it. I was credited the $100 off by AMEX, for this purchase. AMEX has no way of knowing of what type of transaction is being processed. All they know is that you used their card and made a "qualifying" $500 purchase from a cruise line tied into the promotion. Easy to spend, but if not, the unused funds are 100% refundable.

It might be different with Princess, but on Carnival it specifically needs to be coded as a Reservation which is different than Cruise Cash (which is the only way you can “buy OBC” so to speak). Cruise Cash shows as Fun Shops which does not qualify. It is also not refundable if you don’t use it all onboard.

71c12445d33ce27cb6e93586316da5d4.png

I basically did the same thing on our HAL cruise this summer, except I did it by calling our TA instead of directly through the cruise line. We got the credit (and earlier the credit twice when i booked the cruise). Our TA said any of the OBC not used would be refunded, but I wondered (and still do) whether AMEX would take back the $100 credit if it was not used fully. Does anyone know if this would happen?

I basically did the same thing on our HAL cruise this summer, except I did it by calling our TA instead of directly through the cruise line. We got the credit (and earlier the credit twice when i booked the cruise). Our TA said any of the OBC not used would be refunded, but I wondered (and still do) whether AMEX would take back the $100 credit if it was not used fully. Does anyone know if this would happen?

They would have had a hard time with me, since I used a different credit card tied to my account when I boarded. I spent well over the $500 while on board, so nothing was left to be refunded. I would imagine that AMEX could take back the $100, if the refunded amount put the prior purchase total under the $500 threshold. They probably have a sophisticated enough system to catch these type of things. FYI. I was able to "very easily" do the very same thing when Royal Caribbean had a similar AMEX promotion.

It might be different with Princess, but on Carnival it specifically needs to be coded as a Reservation which is different than Cruise Cash (which is the only way you can “buy OBC” so to speak). Cruise Cash shows as Fun Shops which does not qualify. It is also not refundable if you don’t use it all onboard.

I think you're right FBW. I've read comments on the Princess board for the current Amex/WLCL offer wherein they added OBC to their reservation and the offer covered it. However, there's no way (outside of Cruise Cash) to do that with Carnival (fund OBC pre-cruise) so the Amex charge would be from the Fun Shops. Too bad Carnival doesn't handle the purchased OBC like Princess.

I apologize, I stand corrected. I went back and looked at my AMEX statement, and all it had was Princess Cruise Lines for my $500 purchase. The same exact description as when I paid for my cruise fare. Carnival is very much more discriminating. It shows how their payment systems are different, even though they both belong to the same parent corporation.

I asked my PVP if he could book an excursion for me at the same time he took my final payment and have it appear as one charge, a “reservation” charge that qualified for the offer. He said no, it cannot be done that way. If a guest asked him to book an excursion for them, he would go into the reservation as if he was the guest and it would appear as a separate, unqualifying charge.

Purchased OBC is not refundable on Carnival if you don't use it in full? Are you sure about that?

Purchased OBC is not refundable on Carnival if you don't use it in full? Are you sure about that?

Hopefully FBW won't smack me around for answering on her behalf, but yes, OBC purchased in the form of Cruise Cash is non-refundable. OBC that you put on your account after boarding in the form of cash or gift cards are both refundable.