Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Lois...I remember when imatinab came out in the late 1990s for CML. An absolute wonder drug that revolutionized the treatment by specifically targeting the genetic anomaly which causes CML. We live in amazing times.

Great point and 100% accurate fact by J.P. about the amazing advances in medicine by doctors and pharm folks. It's a good time to be living and enjoying life. Paying for "it" is another question.

BUT, it is not just North Korea, China and Russia to watch and worry about. Just read this interesting article today from a Brazil newspaper. Their headline is: Brazil Deploys 8,500 Armed Forces in Rio de Janeirowith these highlights: The government announced that the implementation of the National Security Plan in Rio de Janeiro will employ 8,500 members of the Armed Forces, 620 members of the National Security Force and 1,120 of the Federal Highway Police, of whom 380 came from other states. This comes a day after Defense Minister Raul Jungmann described the federal efforts as ‘focusing on three pillars: integration, intelligence and surprise’, but also saying there will be no ostensible presence of the Armed Forces occupying the streets. In the wake of the economic crisis and breakdown of the security in Rio, federal authorities are taking a new tack. Looking to avoid a costly occupation effort, Jungmann confirmed that 'The menu is any and every action that is needed to strike and take away the capacity of the [drug] trafficking.' ”.

We super enjoyed our Amazon River cruise in Brazil and would like to visit Rio in the future. BUT, what is the situation like there in Rio? Does it depend on the neighborhood or area as to the level of security and safety?

Full story at:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-politics/brazil-deploys-8500-armed-forces-in-rio-de-janeiro/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,123 views for these postings.

I'd like to sneak in here with something that is not politics/insurance/healthcare. I stumbled on an interesting music collaboration. Three traditional griot (the caretakers of west Africa's oral traditions) from Mali known as Trio Da Kali have teamed up with the Kronos Quartet ( an American string quartet based in San Francisco in existence with a rotating membership of musicians for over forty years) on an album called Ladilikan to be released September 15, 2017. Here is a link to the Youtube release of the first single taken from that album.

Nice find, mysty. Thanks for sharing.

(I did enjoy reading jp's healthcare summary, though. Very enlightening to get an inside perspective. It's also interesting to see how different countries deal with the issue. )

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So glad you liked it Mleh! I really enjoyed the music and am looking forward to the album release!

I enjoyed reading JP's healthcare summary as well! It made the whole Obamacare debate easier to understand. As Canadian health care is vastly different, I did not know all the ins and outs of the current health services payment issues in the U.S.

I'd like to sneak in here with something that is not politics/insurance/healthcare. I stumbled on an interesting music collaboration. Three traditional griot (the caretakers of west Africa's oral traditions) from Mali known as Trio Da Kali have teamed up with the Kronos Quartet ( an American string quartet based in San Francisco in existence with a rotating membership of musicians for over forty years) on an album called Ladilikan to be released September 15, 2017. Here is a link to the Youtube release of the first single taken from that album.

What a beautiful voice!

Penny

Yes M...a great diversion thank you.....I'm beginning to think there's a full moon on the way 😉

OK, I thought it was only me...I'm a relative newcomer, but I don't recall such an overall negative bent on this forum since I signed on earlier in the year.

Of course, there are a few consistent optimists, so wary of generalizations.

Miss S. So glad you enjoyed it! :) It must be the moon because the water here in the cooler is not usually tainted!

mdpa...Welcome! Consistent optimists are not inherently evil. :) Blind loyalty on the other hand is not exactly helpful. Hoping you thoroughly enjoy your cruise!

Good Evening Coolers .... I hope you've left some booze for me here .... cos I need some tonight! But anyway!

Lois, may I say what a courageous person you are with dealing with this health issue. I know I'm a bloke and us men are always ill and see every twinge as terminal. And I accept that women are stoic and balanced, but I know I speak on behalf of all your new Cooler friends that we're with you and really hope you get all of this sorted. I raise my e-glass to you. It makes us all reflect on how small our own problems are. Anyway this is no time for me to go wobbly so let's just say "cheers and bon chance!" and if and when you want strangers to chat to about this even in the small wee hours we are all here for you. E-friends are NOT second rate friends. :)

OK, I thought it was only me...I'm a relative newcomer, but I don't recall such an overall negative bent on this forum since I signed on earlier in the year.

Of course, there are a few consistent optimists, so wary of generalizations.

HI there ... lovely to see you posting again and I do so hope you'll apply for full membership, following which we will allocate you your own bar stool at the bar - no one else will be allowed to sit in your favourite spot - and that you will join in. No one sits on my stool over there in the corner so your's will be quite safe. Basically it is a requirement of membership that you always keep off topic, discuss things that shouldn't be discussed and generally meander all over the place like tsetse fly.

One of the reason why the Cooler was started was to be an antidote to some of the tribslism that seems to have cropped up over time. Before your arrival there was a time when things felt like they were black or white around here. If someone made the slightest negative comment about SS then they were interrogated and questioned and sidelined. Some posters rubbish the poster and question their right to express an opinion or their integrity. However anyone posting positive stuff would be warmly welcomed and thanked for being so "balanced". That still persist as you will no doubt notice. However this polarisation is of no use to anyone. Don't beleive anyone who says everything is perfect or everything is poor. Listen to those that say "this was good" "but this was bad" and work out whether what was bad is a concern to you as it may not be. It is quite possible to see a defect and still be well dispoed generally. Anyway. Not all people share the same needs, nor the same bar at which one issue would worry one person but not another. I'm a relatively grumpy person who get's irriated by people "not trying" but I am immensely forgiving when something isn't right but an effort has been made. I don't tolerate false excuses but always forgive if someone simply says "sorry". Oddly I'll tolerate incompetence but not laziness.

When you take your trip you'll meet some incredible people and some you won't want to meet again. It simply reflects life. As long as you set your expectations realistically and don't believe all the marketing puff and BS then you'll have a really great time. Just go with the flow. Work within the constraints because you will not change them. Avoid tiresome people with no humour who think they know everything and are important because they know this person or that and look down on others but seek out the gems. And keep in mind that once you look at some of the figures closely the costs of SS aren't that much more than cheaper lines when you take all costs into account.

Anyway, lovely to see you visit us and please do join in as we need new and fresh blood. In a nice way. :)

Jeff,

I definitely don't want bad stuff swept under the rug...as this is the place to share experiences and advice. I also share your willingness to forgive incompetence, especially with sincere effort. I'll give someone a little leeway on laziness, but absolutely no room for rudeness or indifference.

Jeff, thank you for the kind words and sorry If I offended folks with my post.......JP, I take something called TASIGNA.........

And going forward I will leave my health issues out of this thread as to not bother people. (Unless something horrible

happens......which I do not expect to be the case).

Thanks Jeff:)....I went shopping today:D....got some new clothes for the cruise..I am sure the gals can relate to that:D

A lovely pair of black dress slacks.......on big sale! Several tops and 3 pair of shoes.............one for the flight.........2

for the cruise:) those are sandals..........