Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Jeff,

Sorry I don't recall exactly other than talk of upgrades or discounting...

And what you said was spot on.

All good intentions to give info we hope will help one another.

Terry,

I don't know anything. It's just scuttlebutt, gossip, no foundation and pure speculation. I was remarking on it as Jeff brought up the "coincidence".

So who's chartering our luxury Northern Lights cruise? Chris and I are in. I took her to Iceland in January one year for her birthday, to see Northern Lights. The clouds had other ideas but it was still an awesome trip. She is still excited to see them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Bizarrely the Viking cruiser they use has a restaurant called "Manfredi's ". :confused:

I was looking at flights and places to stay in Tromso, but it really doesn't inspire.

The Italian restaruants on all the Viking ships are named Manfredi's. Both owners have been personal friends for years! It was gesture of friendship.

Thanks for the link, Jeff, but don't understand the connection with Viking or SS. Howerver, not a savory character....

Stelios is a friend of the owner of SS, Manfredi. M lives in Monaco as does Stelios and I was startled at the time to see him at Stelios's attempt to start an extremely cheap cruise line which didn't last for very long.

I've googled and found this ..... the last sentence of this cutting illustrates .....

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2005-05-12-easycruise_x.htm

Interesting report and/or speculation!!?? Any added info, news stories, tangibles, etc., related to this potential? Clearly Viking is growing and seeking to expand more. BUT, I have heard mixed reports as to how Viking operates, wants payments made so much in advance, etc. Viking has smooth, slick marketing ads. Anything additional from Spins or others?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,736 views for this posting.

yes, Viking in the beginning did want the full payment months if not a year in advance. Cuts down on all those who play the deposit game on some cruise line.

Now that they have 4 ships by the fall of 2017 and two more being build with a option for two more, they have reduced the full payment to six months before sailing in some cases. Their sailings are selling out on their more unique itineraries ver quickly.

The Viking Sun will do the first world cruise from Miami 12/15/2017.

I have my sailing in March 2018 all paid for and excited to do my first Transaltantic with six sea days and some new ports of call for me.

I have been smitten with the design of the Viking ships since 2014 when I got my first brochure. And the the feedback from fellow cruisers has been very positive.

Searching for the Northern Lights sailing in 2019 is a new adventure that many are interested in cruising in the dead of winter near Northern Norway looking at the sky... Different strokes for different folks.

OMG, Jeff, when I click on the link, an advertisement for SS blocks my ability to read the article. When I click on the ad, hoping to get the ad off, it will not bring me back to the article! I wonder if somebody else on this thread tries and is able to read the article. Please let me know.

I check out for a week and it feels like I have been gone forever!

Viking looks interesting, and something to keep on our cruising radar. For now, we are a bit overwhelmed planning our next 2 cruises, trying to decide if we really want a sailboat (or just like toying with the idea for awhile), and trying to remodel parts of the house. Life got really busy really fast.

To cope, here is my Chocolate Cherry Cake (with real Michigan cherries):

06fccb6e0ea6cc1bec536b788c4895c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning Coolers from a hungry 2:30 am .....

Lovely pie Shots!

Some Naples Salami on some crusty toasted and well buttered ciabatta and some pickled shallot and garlic. And a mug of armagnac. Should keep any Italian vampires at bay ....

f1f4ab53a8fe567b0beea5271f4350f9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good morning Coolers!

Jeff, you have the strongest digestive system. If I ate at all at the wee hours, my stomach would burst! Anyway, glad you enjoyed. JP, we have the grandkids today and pizza will be. Pizza and wings, their favorite meal.

G'Day.........have to agree with Cam about the digestive system Jeffers but it looks droolingly good....l just love raw onion but these days it gives me chronic indegestion so l have to be cautious 🙁

Off out with the offspring today to the river pub..they're orf to Mallorca on Saturday so this is a great way to start their holiday.

Happy Day All 😊

We were in Bamburgh the other day and walked the 'beach walk' to Seahouses. We could see a ship in the distance which seemed to be getting awfully near the coast and it seemed to be giving the passengers an unusual view of Bamburgh Castle. It then moved off and approached the Farne Islands, sailing the narrow (mile and a bit) channel between the islands and the shore. In the end it transpired the vessel was Freddy Olsens somewhat elderly 'Boudicca' doing a round Britain wildlife cruise.... hence the call at the Farne Islands?

Out of interest I had a look at the appropriate forum to see if there were any blogs or similar ..... nope ... nothing, but surprise surprise there was a thread about formal nights .... somethings never change

Interesting was the other range of 'mainstream' topics including Wine Packages, Food Quality and Dining arrangements.

Being that a big part of our holiday is good food and wine, I think we made the right choice!

Too lazy to cook tonight. We have half of a roast chicken, left over from Monday, and that will fit the bill nicely. Roast some potatoes and find a vegetable. Even that sounds like work...

We were "off" yesterday because Chris was at the dentist most of the afternoon getting a new crown. It was nice work but it sure took a while. So of course, instead of relaxing the rest of the day, we went tile shopping in the morning for our bathroom remodel. Then we went running before the dentist appointment. Then we cleaned the fish tank after dinner. It was a full day!

Lightning trip to SF is this weekend. My brother from Upstate NY went out last night with wife and 4 kids. My Canadian sister is leaving Friday morning and my brother from Denmark relented to the ongoing sibling pressure, and is flying in from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. I guess I can't complain too much about our easy trip from Albany, compared to his long multi-leg trip from CPH-SFO. Yuck.

Looking forward to seeing them and other family members but not excited about the red-eye home. Overnight flights that are less than 5h aren't really conducive to rest. Hopefully the flights are smooth and running on time.