Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Thanks Spins and MissSophia.

Love a good slaw, although I have to confess the closest I come to making one is to open a bag and mix it together.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have not been in an SS excursion to Granada and trust that those that have been will chime in, and those that have been with private tours will as well. All I can say is that the Alhambra is a "die and go to heaven" type of experience. We had the opportunity to stay overnight at the Alhambra Palace Hotel, and we enjoyed the site both in daylight and at nighttime. Something to caution with is that it will take up all your time from Málaga, which is so lovely that deserves a day for its enjoyment. I do hope you have the time to do both!!

Thank you! I have wanted to go for years! I have been to Malaga twice and it is wonderful, too.

G'Day All.....Kids went to Royal Birkdale yesterday for the golf open...came back very tired but had a wonderful day even with the shock of having to pay £10 each for fish and chips in bag!!

I see that nice Mr Corbyn says that we all misunderstood him and he didn't promise to write off and cancel student fees and all their current debts. They really are bad with numbers aren't they. If you take that we currently have around 1.8m Brits in further education and we are told that they each end up with around £60k debt. Students finalising studies alone would have a joint debt of 1.8m x £60k making £108bn. Presumably writing off those in year 2 would cost another £72bn and those in year 1 a further £36bn. A total of £216bn? And each year would be a further £36bn a year. And we now have a terribly uncertain future largely because those young voters voted for that nice Mr Corbyn and his promises ....... er sorry misunderstood "aspirations".

Busy day at the Cooler. For MissSophia, I am sure that you and your family watched the thrilling conclusion of The Open. Twenty-three-year-old Jordan Spieth might be the next Tiger Woods. This Texan blew a three-shot overnight lead and was one-shot behind after a bogey on the 13th. Then it was a thrilling run of birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie to finish 12 under and win his third major after the Masters and US Open. Pretty impressive for someone this young and confident!!

Excellent summary details from Jeff on Corbyn, etc.. What's wrong with politicians promising "free college" and not knowing how to fund such costly "vote-buying"?? We've had a few here in the USA make these types of pricy promises. BUT, I won't name them here. It's a "pesky pickle" to pay for all of these nice-sounding programs and promises that sound so good. And are so easy to promote on the campaign trail.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,033 views for these postings.

Jeff, going back to the slaw without mayo, what is salad cream? I love a creamy, non watery, slaw, how do you do it?

Hi,

I simply finely slice pointed sweet cabbage and red onion which I dice and I add grated carrot and simply mix salad cream in. It is a 60 second dish and is so easy and a shame not to do as it is always crisp. I also do a variant where I substitute a home made Dijon mustard vinegarette which slightly pickles it.

I think I recall when this was mentioned before that some Americans can buy it. The best way I can describe it is that it is what I believe most Brits prefer to mayo and was what we Brits always used before mayo was discovered and brought to our shores. I think of mayo as being relatively recent compared with salad cream.

When on SS I have asked that our hard-boiled egg and cress sandwiches are made with salad cream not mayo and of course they never have any and look perplexed, so they allowed me to make an approximation of it in their kitchen which I did by following roughly what it says on the bottle. I add a touch more dijon mustard than is characteristic of the bottled stuff and use sweetener rather than sugar.

Salad cream is a creamy, pale yellow condiment based on an emulsion of about 25–50 percent oil in water, emulsified by egg yolk and acidulated by spirit vinegar. It may include other ingredients such as sugar, mustard, salt, thickener, spices, flavouring and colouring.

HEINZ_SALAD_CREAM_285GN4701.jpg

Wow, thanks, Jeff, for your explanation. I see that it is Heinz, so I hope to be able to get it in a supermarket. I'm sure your SS sandwiches with your home made cream sauce must have been delicious.

Hi, I hope you do try it. Howver good mayo is it will always taste sort of anaemic after salad cream. You may have noticed it on my fries ...... :)

Morning All.....

Blimey Jeffers Salad Cream brings back memories of childhood days and Sunday tea in the 50's ...always a very basic salad with tinned salmon followed by tinned fruit with pigeons milk...the old carnation stuff that l boil now for a banoffee.....then homemade fairy cakes of course!

Terry l didn't see the golf finals but the kids were glued as sport fanatics! Afraid l hate most sports apart from equestrian events.

Very windy weather here at the moment...plants are suffering a bit.....😊

Greetings Coolers!

Myster and I survived the weekend with the Moppets. Thanks for thinking of us J! :) I really think a DNA analysis of my "makeup" would reveal that my GG (Grandmother Gene) is a little faulty. I enjoy the interaction with the grand kids for about 1.5 days and then it becomes a struggle to amuse and entertain them. Myster, on the other hand, seems to have more resources.

Miss S. hope your lovely plantings survive the winds!

Have a great day all!

Ok, I just googled salad cream.

Now I know the history and it was quite an interesting diversion to read about it.

You can purchase it in the USA at Amazon.

I saw that others try to make their own version. I also saw the consensus is that Heinz makes the best.

Now I am going to google fairy cakes and pigeons milk. Perhaps we shall request it for tea on Silversea?

Thanks J! Yes, all in one piece and that one piece is a little haggard right now.

It seems that Photobucket has made some changes that will make it impossible to embed photos into 3rd party sites unless users subscribe to 3rd Party Hosting for the price of $399 per year. This came into effect on July 6 (I think). Here is the link to the blog announcement on the Photobucket site:

http://blog.photobucket.com/please-review-latest-changes-photobucket/

Not sure where I will go from here. I won't pay that much for photo storage that I use very infrequently!

Forgot to mention that your meal looks yummy J!

I just checked the status of the pictures I have posted to the Forum since I started using Photobucket and they have all disappeared, replaced with an icon saying that I need to upgrade my service in order to post to 3rd Party sites. :( Nasty piece of work Photobucket!!!!!

Thanks Mysty for the heads up on Photobucket.

I will be ok until December 2018, but after will have to find another way to post photos.

You can still use the tapatalk to publish pictures right?

I don't think you need be concerned if you are already a paying subscriber. I have a Plus 20 account.

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017, you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your subscription.

That is pretty nasty of Photobucket. Looks like pretty much all of the free sites have stopped allowing the posting of direct links. The reason, I am sure, is that posting a direct link then allows the picture to be seen without the accompanying advertisements. Ads do pay for free sites but they are becoming a bit much.

At least Google Photos' old direct links still work.

So far tapatalk uploads work the best for me. The process is automatic and seamlessly integrated into the Forums app. I can post photos from my phone in seconds and the process is much easier than it was using Google Photos. The hardest part is getting the photos from my laptop to my phone (and that's honestly pretty easy as well).

Try smugmug. Even their cheap plans ($5/month) include unlimited storage and they all allow direct links. Some day I will sign up...

Chris and I also survived the invasion. The kids (my siblings) were 2h late getting there on Saturday night, but we ordered some take out food and all enjoyed dinner and wine.

I was elected to tell bedtime stories to the six kids. They all camped out in sleeping bags on the floor of one of our spare rooms. They listened with much amusement as I told them all sorts of embarrassing stories about their parents and aunts/uncles. It's good to be the oldest child, as I know all the dirt. Then we finished with a few not-too-scary ghost stories. They liked it.

Then back to the wine cellar until we finally knocked off at 2AM. Chris and I were dragging on Sunday, and looking to relax... But I was again elected to give "horsey rides" in the pool to the two littlest nieces. Extra challenging with a hangover but luckily the water was refreshing.

Back to work today after a decent night's sleep, and much less wine last night!

I don't think you need be concerned if you are already a paying subscriber. I have a Plus 20 account. If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rdParty Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your subscription.

I am not happy about this potential/probable PhotoBucket "situation", but Jeff offers a key summary point. We are still seventeen+ months away from their timing/change point. Lots can happen during that time period. Hopefully PhotoBucket will come up with some added options to help their customers. For now for me, things are still working OK on this site with my many pictures, etc. Will be watching with interest. PhotoBucket is doing much more these days to try to sell various other photo services, etc. In this Internet age, the web and ad revenue are not always as a good of a money stream as some might hope. Always lots of pressure to figure out how to make the economics work when you offer certain "free" or low-cost services through the Internet.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,736 views for this posting.

Unfortunately for me....I did not have a paid account with Pb. And the really nasty bit is that they did not warn those of us in the cheap seats that they were going to do this. And to remove photos that had already been posted under their old terms of service is dastardly! If they wanted to change their fees they could have done that and left the "grandfathered" photos alone. They chose to include all photos under their new terms of service.

JP...it sounds like you are the favourite uncle! Good Job! :) Hope you and Chris recover soon!

That is pretty nasty of Photobucket. Looks like pretty much all of the free sites have stopped allowing the posting of direct links. The reason, I am sure, is that posting a direct link then allows the picture to be seen without the accompanying advertisements. Ads do pay for free sites but they are becoming a bit much.

Great added above point from J.P.!! Getting people into and seeing the web ads are viewed as an important and key potential revenue stream. Part of the problem is that Internet site ads are a bit soft as many of us viewers learn to ignore such "distractions". Some in the web world are making lots of money with their Internet products, but others are challenged to make their economic models work. More and more of these "free" sites are trying harder to make their ads "jump out" and be "pushy" in order to catch the eye of us smart viewers who want to avoid too much ad "crap".

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,050 views for these postings.

I think they have may have done this to try and milk their ebay customers. Perhaps they reckon they should share some money out of their customers who are making money on ebay and using PB for free or cheaply for hosting.

I would welcome another company coming up with a PB alternative. I have constant problems with them and when it goes wrong they never seem to be quick.

Our main issue is that we use PB as a host for our security camera system which has 14 IP cameras automatically uploading alert pictures to PB. I check in once a aday to see what has happened if anything.

It uses FTP which PB doesn't officially support, so when it stops it seems to come back after they work on something unrelated. I need a site that has picture functionality AND FTP support but cannot find any except expensive commercial web hosting and paying to replicate PB functionality.

I think they have may have done this to try and milk their ebay customers. Perhaps they reckon they should share some money out of their customers who are making money on ebay and using PB for free or cheaply for hosting.

Our main issue is that we use PB as a host for our security camera system which has 14 IP cameras automatically uploading alert pictures to PB. I check in once a aday to see what has happened if anything.

Great added insights from Jeff on the potential E-Bay situation/use. Had not considered that use for PhotoBucket. WOW!! Impressed that Jeff uses PB for his security system. Smart and very interesting technology use. Learned some new "things" this morning.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580