Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Two thoughts :

First of all the sauce for the chicken looks good...never thought about blending garlic. Also, I must read a different class of recipes because none of mine come with wine recommendations[emoji6]

The sunroom looks really nice. You will enjoy having the heating /cooling. In MD, we opted for a screen porch with a ceiling fan. We enjoy watching the deer in the backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the detail JP. It is a stunning addition. It's a weird thing in life that we have the necessities ie bedrooms, kitchens, lounges etc but the real enjoyment is from space solely for self-indulgent enjoyment. I've never been in a hot tub. In the UK it sort of has connotations but I perfectly get the attractions. I reckon this is just rewards for all your joint hard work.

YES, agree for this JP/Chris sun room looking very, very good. Below is a visual of our space for "self-indulgent enjoyment". Jeff is 100% correct of the value and need for these types of spaces.

Appreciate Jeff's interesting detail for having never been in a hot tub. Some might suggest that explains so much. Right or wrong? Super love the sheep picture for their march up the mountain. Fun!! Great that J.P. showed the wine from Portugal and that famed area near Porto. Was the wine good?

Really sad and amazing as to what continues to happen and evolve in Houston. Have stayed in touch with friends in these areas. Hard to image the tragic impacts. And, the rain and wind continues down there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,635 views for this posting.

Here is our "special space". Built it in 2001 as a part of a major addition of a family room, lower-level study and this 14'x14' screened porch. Love this space for its almost three-season uses. Have TV, wireless, etc., out here. Great to enjoy our scenic ravine location in three different direction, deer in our front and back areas, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201616_zpshg19dpal.jpg

Two thoughts :

First of all the sauce for the chicken looks good...never thought about blending garlic. Also, I must read a different class of recipes because none of mine come with wine recommendations[emoji6]

The sunroom looks really nice. You will enjoy having the heating /cooling. In MD, we opted for a screen porch with a ceiling fan. We enjoy watching the deer in the backyard.

Hi mdpa,

Interested in your thread. And your latest post on the cocktails. The most important thing is what is in the glass! But do you not think their cocktail naming is weird and overly self-indulgent`?

In MD, we opted for a screen porch with a ceiling fan. We enjoy watching the deer in the backyard.

Agree that a ceiling fan is a super must-have with a screened porch. Deer? See one on our front lawn as I was making lots of noise blowing off our driveway after mowing the lawn. Pesky deer!!??

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,639 views for these postings.

Deer? Here is a quick view caught with my iPhone of one of our "friends" doing grazing on our front lawn Sadly not much is left of our hosta thanks to our many deer.:

July%202017A%201617_zpso5vy5gei.jpg

Hi mdpa,

Interested in your thread. And your latest post on the cocktails. The most important thing is what is in the glass! But do you not think their cocktail naming is weird and overly self-indulgent`?

Although I can now claim to be experienced with different beer types, coffee/espresso, and have learned quite a bit about bourbon over the last year or so...I am still a novice on wine & cocktails. For me, being on an all-inclusive trip, I have been more intentional about learning more about the drinks. Finding it interesting and not advanced enough to think about any poor naming!

Although I can now claim to be experienced with different beer types, coffee/espresso, and have learned quite a bit about bourbon over the last year or so...I am still a novice on wine & cocktails. For me, being on an all-inclusive trip, I have been more intentional about learning more about the drinks. Finding it interesting and not advanced enough to think about any poor naming!

391d625e0446b92b205d90eb6d58ecb3.jpg

Having an espresso machine requires me to be more knowledgeable in this area!

Agree that a ceiling fan is a super must-have with a screened porch. Deer? See one on our front lawn as I was making lots of noise blowing off our driveway after mowing the lawn. Pesky deer!!??

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,639 views for these postings.

Deer? Here is a quick view caught with my iPhone of one of our "friends" doing grazing on our front lawn Sadly not much is left of our hosta thanks to our many deer.:

July%202017A%201617_zpso5vy5gei.jpg

Terry,

Your place looks absolutely beautiful...your porch is very nicely outfitted!

Easy. Single ground dose and tamp, then let the pressure go. You should get a brown crema. If not it either means the beans are stale or it means the grind is too course. The right hand stick is to froth milk. Must be low fat and from the fridge, just experiment. :)

Simple Italian rules are milk in the morning and never after meals. Italians don't call an espresso anything other than a coffee and they drink one at a time rather than double dose. So in Italy if you ask for a coffe you will be given a single dose espresso. It is illegal to drink espresso anywhere in Italy after 7pm without a grappa or a brandy in France to keep it company. :D

Tip re grappa: They use to have two on board a deep yellow urine coloured one and a clear varietal one .... I think it was sauvignon. Try both .... but the clear is nicest and you can drink more without getting a hangover which is terribly important. Also see if they have any decent Armagnacs. And if you like the perfect combination .... with a decent cigar.

Sounds like you are having fun. :p

391d625e0446b92b205d90eb6d58ecb3.jpg

Having an espresso machine requires me to be more knowledgeable in this area!

I can visualize Terry on his recliner surfing Cruise Critic...so comfortable!!

Terry, Your place looks absolutely beautiful...your porch is very nicely outfitted!

Appreciate these nice follow-ups. YES, guilty as charged for being out on our screened porch right now with my laptop doing a posting to Cruise Critic.

HOUSTON FLOOD DETAILS: Did talk late this afternoon with folks in northern Houston we got know during out 2008 Baltics/Russia sailing. Here was their quick summary. Most freeways closed. Lots of them were built sunken down to allow cross streets to pass over the Interstate roads. Most grocery and other stores are now closed. Within their gated community, they had power, but many did not. They could get their car out, but could not really drive anywhere to get anything. Fortunately, they have a decent supply of food, etc. The whole, huge medical complex around Rice University with their many, varied hospitals is closed up now due to the inability for doctors, staff and patient to get there and back. When you here these kind of details, it is really shocking and becomes more personal. Does this match what Spins and others are hearing?

That espresso machine looks nice, but seems too complicated. I do not and never have, however, consumed coffee or related drinks. Sorry, but my personal interest level is not that high.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

The above link is from a long-time and active CC Board poster. It is a link to update on the potential limits for cruise ship visits to scenic and historic Dubrovnik. Clearly it sounds as if this proposal by their Mayor is still a "work in progress". Nothing has been finalized, legalized, etc. YET!! Hopefully, the local officials, their nation's leaders and the cruise ship folks can work out a good, effective plan for the future. For a delightful, but very small area such as Dubrovnik, a good solution is needed. Success can be a challenge when you are so super popular and limited in size.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 38,069 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Hi Terry, they are still having many rescue missions going on............many, many people are still in need of help.

This is unreal........and the President is going to Texas tomorrow?:eek::(.........like they really need to take help away

from what they are doing for a visit NOW?..........

Why doesn't he wait at least till this weekend?..........:rolleyes::eek:

Hi Terry, they are still having many rescue missions going on............many, many people are still in need of help. This is unreal........and the President is going to Texas tomorrow?:eek::(.........like they really need to take help away from what they are doing for a visit NOW?..........Why doesn't he wait at least till this weekend?..........:rolleyes::eek:

Yes, things are super bad in Houston and for other parts of Texas and Louisiana. Per National Public Radio (NPR) this morning, the President is not going to visit Houston, nor even close. Here are some of their story highlights: President Trump travels to Texas on Tuesday to show support for residents reeling from the effects of hurricane-turned-tropical storm Harvey, and to assess the first stages of the federal recovery effort. He and the first lady will visit the Corpus Christi area, where Harvey made landfall Friday night, packing 130 mile-an-hour winds. Trump said he may pay a second visit to the region on Saturday. Depending on the path of the storm, that trip could also include a stop in Louisiana.

Other news reports indicate that the President today will also visit their statewide emergency center in Austin, met with those officials, etc. In fairness, Presidents, especially after George W. Bush was slow to respond to Katrina in New Orleans, are in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation. This NPR report also noted: "A year ago, as a presidential candidate, Trump paid a surprise visit to flood-ravaged parts of Louisiana. Then-President Barack Obama, who was vacationing at the time on Martha's Vineyard, was criticized in some quarters for not making his own trip. Obama traveled to Louisiana the following week."

Clearly this "situation" is beyond belief and something that has never happened of this scale and magnitude, etc. Especially for a metro area of 6.5 million people such as Houston has.

Full story at:

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/29/546861395/trump-heads-for-texas-to-inspect-storm-damage

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 37,744 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Getting hungry, Jeff! Lunch today is leftover roast chicken. Looking forward to that!

Last night's dinner was pork schnitzel with some roasted potatoes and a cucumber salad.

4706f0c5a012e9c14303a1b9cf671cd5.jpg

Appreciate these nice food and beverage updates from Jeff and J.P. This above food picture by J.P. is exceptionally wonderful with the various colors and details. Looks so very tasty. Excellent visual composition!!

Super loved so many different parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples for historic San Juan, etc., at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264847

Hi Everyone 😊

My heart goes out to all those suffering in Houston and other areas....not sure a visit from DT would cheer me up and am also sure the emergency aid could do without the added security and pomp it brings....just my opinion!

Loving the foodies...haven't had schnitzel in ages, maybe a thought for when on board as l tend to overcook them.

Three week cruise countdown has started today with a relaxing morning at the Spa....massages have eased the old aches and pains...dentist tomorrow so not quite as relaxing!

☺️

Good looking pork schnitzel ...... reminds me .... only a few months to our next visit to Figlmüllers for a giant shared schnitzel.

Not long now Soapy ..... the anticipation! The DT character seems to have the BS mode switched permanently on .... he becomes more a cartoon character every day ....

Tonight a small square omelette sandwich ...... and some juicy fresh melon.

e29c608da74f804a8ce991c06d1b1738.jpg

79f723d54ef18d628e0b5da3ccac79cb.jpg

cba1a18cadc3b92869f66edbfec3f256.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Schnitzels are part of our monthly diet...but since we don't have JP nearby, we rely on Aldi, the German supermarket, whose schnitzels we find very good... especially since our memory of a particular restaurant in Vienna with the "bestest" is fading....forgot its name... rhymes with Falluja... Platugha...?

Plachuta...or something to that effect. It is best known for its boiled meat dish (I don't know the language, hence can't remember the name of this dish), but its schnitzel is excellent. And yes, like yours, overflowing the plate, as it should be.

Schnitzels are part of our monthly diet...but since we don't have JP nearby, we rely on Aldi, the German supermarket, whose schnitzels we find very good... especially since our memory of a particular restaurant in Vienna with the "bestest" is fading....forgot its name... rhymes with Falluja... Platugha...?

Thanks JP.

Hi C, you may have went to two different places and the name s morphing int one?

Plachutta is the upmarket place for tafelspitz, and Figlmüllers is the touristy place for massive pork schntzels.

https://www.plachutta.at/

https://www.figlmueller.at/en/welcome.html

EDITED: Just seen the posts in between .... you answered this yourself!

About time you bought Roberto to the music capital of Europe for some nuts and punch at the Christmas Markets C!

Edited by UKCruiseJeff