Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Terry and Lois, I detest Nick Saban. He is a vulture. Therefore I could never root for Bama. As for Bethune Cookman, they are a real team and play well. I would never underestimate them. Go Blue. Go Canes.

On Nick Saban, it seems that he and Alabama are a major "hot button" with Spins. It is not often to get Candy so fired up to use words such as "detest" and "vulture".

Regarding Bethune Cookman, they are real, but not a large school with the same number of football scholarships, coaches, etc., to compete against the bigger, major football schools. This school is located in Daytona Beach and has only 4,000 students. Bethune Cookman plays their home games in a 10,000-seat municipal stadium that is smaller or the same as a number of high school facilities in our state. Bethune Cookman does not have the depth and will get blown out by the Canes.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,607 views for these postings.

Good afternoon all ........

It is so great being back home and with a kitchen.

Couple of things about the BA sims. I only say this as a person who I think doesn't really indulge in extravagance as much as I sensibly should. So I just want to add ... (perhaps too much thoughts) on why I have rebooked another slot for wife #1 and me for next month at what seems like the most outlandish cost of £1200'ish for what is just a few hours of fun. And why I think this extravagant self-indulgence is extraordinary value and why I urge anyone who can put their hands on the cash should do so, and why in hindsight they will feel it money well spent.

I am lucky in the first experience was as a guest of BA, and we have been back since then and paid. So why is this worth every penny .... and more.

Obviously these machines cost BA many millions of pounds and are accepted by the relevant aviation authorities as being so realistic that pilots can move from a simulator to command a live flight with no further familiarisation or live training required. So the £1200 is probably not even cost recovery but simply cash for a sim that would otherwise be idle for those hours. But a few wider philosophical considerations.

Many posting on the Cooler, fully understand and agree with the basic philosophical precept that at our stage in all our common Cooler lives it is now all about adding experiences to the time we collectively have left. 99% of the experiences I have provided for wifey so far have been sometimes unplanned and spontaneous and largely uncontrived. So for example, being able to experience Cannes on Palme D'Or night for several years was planned but the uniqueness of our treatment ie as industry guests, once or twice private plane flights and in one of the best suites in one of the best hotels in the world and attending private parties and eating with people we all recognise was something you cannot buy and I'll not be able to provide wifey with that experience again. Experiencing the Monaco GP from within the lockout on privately chartered SD is unrepeatable. And a lot more experiences when I was in the "pop business" and in our travels together etc. But you get the drift. This is a memory of a lifetime that you cannot buy, and cannot get by chance or for a lower cost.

To be clear, this experience is something that is extraordinary that simply is not the same as anything at a lower price but that you can buy. Obviously fixed simulators give you what is a highly sophisticated PC type simulation. And it would be totally satisfactory and thrilling if you haven't experienced a real sim. But in a real simulator you are really flying. The scenery out of the window is "real" although never appears so in pictures I think technically because of the camera and screen cycle rates gives a sort of flicker which you do not see "live" If you land badly you feel the runway as you bounce along for example. When you take off, you physically head "upwards" and you are forced into your seat. It may not sound much but it add s up to an experience you do remember for the rest of your life .....

Anyway here are some piccies of some of our previous visits. If anyone is interested I'll post a 10% unpublished discount code. You can book a one hour slot which is not to be sneezed at. Or we could book a Cooler meet up and share a few hours between a few of us and have a Cooler party at a local hotel. Everything is possible.

Ask anything more .... but in summary .... if you can ... then DO IT!

0db3f179d21d00481166e7022adfbd76.jpg

a8bd8b9d7604c09730ded2a9a935499a.jpg

c13b52875ed0b1e0b00ac91609b98fc4.jpg

d7323e59e613d97cb89457cd00ca740b.jpg

a74289932052f138c50dbf43c265c99c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks Jeff ...yes, the experience I've bought whilst still fun is nowhere near as authentic which reflects in the price......

Many years ago l had to conquer my fear or flying which was so bad I'd have nightmares from the time l booked a flight and had to be three sheets to the wind to even board the aircraft....in those days one could take liquids through security so I'd fill and mix a small coke bottle with some vodka which l kept with me 😳 so not quite sure if I'd be happy with a sim experience!!

Hope the family in Houston keep safe Spins.....

😊

Hi Coolers...........my thoughts and best wishes go out to all those folks in Harvey's path...........he is now a category 3

and it looks like there will be MAJOR damage:eek:

As for football? I LOVE IT:D...........been a sports fan since I am a little girl:).........

Good afternoon all ........

It is so great being back home and with a kitchen.

Couple of things about the BA sims. I only say this as a person who I think doesn't really indulge in extravagance as much as I sensibly should. So I just want to add ... (perhaps too much thoughts) on why I have rebooked another slot for wife #1 and me for next month at what seems like the most outlandish cost of £1200'ish for what is just a few hours of fun. And why I think this extravagant self-indulgence is extraordinary value and why I urge anyone who can put their hands on the cash should do so, and why in hindsight they will feel it money well spent.

I am lucky in the first experience was as a guest of BA, and we have been back since then and paid. So why is this worth every penny .... and more.

Obviously these machines cost BA many millions of pounds and are accepted by the relevant aviation authorities as being so realistic that pilots can move from a simulator to command a live flight with no further familiarisation or live training required. So the £1200 is probably not even cost recovery but simply cash for a sim that would otherwise be idle for those hours. But a few wider philosophical considerations.

Many posting on the Cooler, fully understand and agree with the basic philosophical precept that at our stage in all our common Cooler lives it is now all about adding experiences to the time we collectively have left. 99% of the experiences I have provided for wifey so far have been sometimes unplanned and spontaneous and largely uncontrived. So for example, being able to experience Cannes on Palme D'Or night for several years was planned but the uniqueness of our treatment ie as industry guests, once or twice private plane flights and in one of the best suites in one of the best hotels in the world and attending private parties and eating with people we all recognise was something you cannot buy and I'll not be able to provide wifey with that experience again. Experiencing the Monaco GP from within the lockout on privately chartered SD is unrepeatable. And a lot more experiences when I was in the "pop business" and in our travels together etc. But you get the drift. This is a memory of a lifetime that you cannot buy, and cannot get by chance or for a lower cost.

To be clear, this experience is something that is extraordinary that simply is not the same as anything at a lower price but that you can buy. Obviously fixed simulators give you what is a highly sophisticated PC type simulation. And it would be totally satisfactory and thrilling if you haven't experienced a real sim. But in a real simulator you are really flying. The scenery out of the window is "real" although never appears so in pictures I think technically because of the camera and screen cycle rates gives a sort of flicker which you do not see "live" If you land badly you feel the runway as you bounce along for example. When you take off, you physically head "upwards" and you are forced into your seat. It may not sound much but it add s up to an experience you do remember for the rest of your life .....

Anyway here are some piccies of some of our previous visits. If anyone is interested I'll post a 10% unpublished discount code. You can book a one hour slot which is not to be sneezed at. Or we could book a Cooler meet up and share a few hours between a few of us and have a Cooler party at a local hotel. Everything is possible.

Ask anything more .... but in summary .... if you can ... then DO IT!

0db3f179d21d00481166e7022adfbd76.jpg

a8bd8b9d7604c09730ded2a9a935499a.jpg

c13b52875ed0b1e0b00ac91609b98fc4.jpg

d7323e59e613d97cb89457cd00ca740b.jpg

a74289932052f138c50dbf43c265c99c.jpg

Jeff, so nice to know BA lets the use of their full-motion sims be used for individuals not currently in their pilot pool.

Just curious; Are you just flying VFR with the view screen active all the time? or are you doing IFR departures, In route navigation, arrivals and emergency procedures? Is someone inputting courses, VOR's and our GPS waypoints for you? Do they have you do radio call-outs?

Don't mean to be a pain, just was wondering because here in USA, you would need to take an 737 initial type rating class with a place like "Flight Safety" to get to have that much fun. Spending about four days on just the avionics alone...

Also I noticed in your picture it was in a "Cat-3" approach mode- 00 Auto landing THATS COOL...

Thanks M, yes they were lovely!

Jeff, so nice to know BA lets the use of their full-motion sims be used for individuals not currently in their pilot pool.

Just curious; Are you just flying VFR with the view screen active all the time? or are you doing IFR departures, In route navigation, arrivals and emergency procedures? Is someone inputting courses, VOR's and our GPS waypoints for you? Do they have you do radio call-outs?

Don't mean to be a pain, just was wondering because here in USA, you would need to take an 737 initial type rating class with a place like "Flight Safety" to get to have that much fun. Spending about four days on just the avionics alone...

Also I noticed in your picture it was in a "Cat-3" approach mode- 00 Auto landing THATS COOL...

CFC, .

Thanks for your interest. The path started when I worked for The Corporation and had an unhealthy fear of small planes, ie you couldn't get me into them, until having avoided them for some time I was forced to start using them more often ..... our company had a fleet of Falcon 900s and similar, and then of course I got hooked. The informality of these was that once I was allowed to sit in the right hand seat and "assist" with a take off. You might imagine, the performance of this plane is very close to a jet fighter and has virtually vertical ascent capabilities. It was a life changing experience ..... So when I started our business, international travel increased as our client base widened and so I harboured the hope that with the trajectory of the business we might in time be able to join a shared oownership pool so I started PPL with the aim of ending with jet ratings. In fact we retired earlier than we expected and so a meaty craft wwas off of the menu, and I realised that prop ownership wouldn't hit the mark and so gave up. But of course I now really wanted the proper jet experience.

We've had seveal hours on the 737, which I chose primarily because it was one of the few jets left where you are in physical contact of the planes controls, ie not fly by wire like Airbus or 777 so you have to have decent muscles and a strong pair of legs and you really do "feel" the plane.

As you know, taking off a jet is no great shakes. You throttle, rumble down the runway, V1 and then rotate and you then simply have to follow an ascent line. Landing is tougher but after a couple of tries it seems fairly easy. You are always flying in the left hand seat with the instructor in the right giving you clear instructions on what you should be doing. You can set the experience depending on how much time you book.

On our 747 trip I'm planning some take offs and landings again at LHR including an east to west night landing over London and straight in (no stacking in the surreal world ,,,) plus I want to fly over the alps and take a landing at Nice east to west so basically we'll fly out as far as Monaco, back over Bealieu Sur Mer, Villefranche, St Jean CF and down into Nice. I want to also land at Vienna in the snow. Als I'd like to take off and land at Dubrovnik. I'd like a landing at Changi and a landing at Hong Kong and wife will have some of these or have some of her own. All manual flying. That is basically our current plan.

It might be that some of the US considerations are security issues. We have to supply passport details in advance and presumably as all airlines have enhanced security information available I presume they check us against watch lists.

Anyway .... it is a really wonderful experience and we're lucky bunnies to be able to do it.

Thanks M, yes they were lovely!

CFC, .

Thanks for your interest. The path started when I worked for The Corporation and had an unhealthy fear of small planes, ie you couldn't get me into them, until having avoided them for some time I was forced to start using them more often ..... our company had a fleet of Falcon 900s and similar, and then of course I got hooked. The informality of these was that once I was allowed to sit in the right hand seat and "assist" with a take off. You might imagine, the performance of this plane is very close to a jet fighter and has virtually vertical ascent capabilities. It was a life changing experience ..... So when I started our business, international travel increased as our client base widened and so I harboured the hope that with the trajectory of the business we might in time be able to join a shared oownership pool so I started PPL with the aim of ending with jet ratings. In fact we retired earlier than we expected and so a meaty craft wwas off of the menu, and I realised that prop ownership wouldn't hit the mark and so gave up. But of course I now really wanted the proper jet experience.

We've had seveal hours on the 737, which I chose primarily because it was one of the few jets left where you are in physical contact of the planes controls, ie not fly by wire like Airbus or 777 so you have to have decent muscles and a strong pair of legs and you really do "feel" the plane.

As you know, taking off a jet is no great shakes. You throttle, rumble down the runway, V1 and then rotate and you then simply have to follow an ascent line. Landing is tougher but after a couple of tries it seems fairly easy. You are always flying in the left hand seat with the instructor in the right giving you clear instructions on what you should be doing. You can set the experience depending on how much time you book.

On our 747 trip I'm planning some take offs and landings again at LHR including an east to west night landing over London and straight in (no stacking in the surreal world ,,,) plus I want to fly over the alps and take a landing at Nice east to west so basically we'll fly out as far as Monaco, back over Bealieu Sur Mer, Villefranche, St Jean CF and down into Nice. I want to also land at Vienna in the snow. Als I'd like to take off and land at Dubrovnik. I'd like a landing at Changi and a landing at Hong Kong and wife will have some of these or have some of her own. All manual flying. That is basically our current plan.

It might be that some of the US considerations are security issues. We have to supply passport details in advance and presumably as all airlines have enhanced security information available I presume they check us against watch lists.

Anyway .... it is a really wonderful experience and we're lucky bunnies to be able to do it.

It's great to learn a little about people and their interests. Just make you fell more connected to life. Especially when it's with my life long passion. Grew up in planes and was the one to take all the friends on trips to go ski, golfing or chasing the formula one race circut. It was always you fly and will buy. Now years later, sitll flying Comercial but only King airs now to get in and out of small airports. I am trying to remember a small airport I flew in and out of in London when I was racing aircraft across the pond. O well it's probley gone by now, it was 1978 when I last flew out of there. I remember it had a lounge and dining area that looked out onto the ramp, so you could drink and eat admiring yours and others aircraft.

Good morning........looks like parts of TEXAS have been hit hard:eek:.......hope everyone stays safe.

I am researching cruises for next year:D.........not sure what I am going to do but there are multiple itineraries that look

AWESOME:D.............one is VENICE to NICE.........I have never visited either place before. And I have heard

Dubrovnik is fantastic..........that cruise is not until next summer though:eek:...........I can do it but I want to take one in the

spring too......the big 60 is in March.

Hi L,

Venice and Nice are must do's. Just be aware that Dubrovnik is starting to aggressively quota day visitors, so if two cruise ships arrive on the same day and the other arrives earlier than SS it may be problematic.

Cod goujon sandwich for lunch .....

23807208be5efd52bc165ad10173bd80.jpg

Cod sandwich? I love Cod...........:)...actually I love fish!

I am thinking about something else too.....not sure if any of you have sailed WINDSTAR.....they have motor yachts and

sailing ships and I have always wanted to try them too........they have a Cost Rica/Panama Canal itinerary and I have

never visited either place.............looks enticing.

And then there is a River cruise on the Seine..........omg...........what am I going to do?:eek:

Hi L,

Wifey has said that she prefers my cod fishfinger sandwiches to te goujons and and I agree.

Unless there are several places along the Seine that you must see, and I doubt that, then you might be better off with a multi city land trip.

Hi Jeff:).....If I do a land trip (I am considering something to England/Ireland/Scotland)......but other than that one,

it is cruising for me:D

I am researching cruises for next year.........not sure what I am going to do but there are multiple itineraries that look AWESOME.............one is VENICE to NICE.........I have never visited either place before. And I have heard Dubrovnik is fantastic..........that cruise is not until next summer though...........I can do it but I want to take one in the spring too......the big 60 is in March.

Many great options and potentials for Lois to consider!!! YES, we super loved Dubrovnik as I have detailed with many visuals through the link listed/connected below. Good point/question by Jeff as to whether or what kind of travel ship limits that are being imposed now.

For March, the Panama Canal can be very interesting. As also linked below, we did a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing in early March 2017. Lots to consider in doing the Panama Canal. Very special history and background about the Canal, how it was built, etc. Different options as to whether your cruise starts or ends in SF or LA, etc. On some of the Panama Canal options, it involves, generally, more sea-days. Maybe a plus. Or, not? Am sharing a little "eye candy" on those two options. Much more on the live/blogs, etc.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 37,958 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!::

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city. It was constructed in 1537. As you go through the gate, look for the statue of St. Blaise, the city's patron saint,. There is an inner gate, which is even older and was built in 1460. Entering the city this way, you see the surrounding fortifications hiding the buildings inside. There is a drawbridge fronting the Pile Gate that was once lifted each evening. From this location, you can get a cab that will take you back to the port and your ship. Sharing the cab, makes it nice and affordable.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Here is a Panama Canal view looking back towards the Caribbean Sea and the Gatun Locks that we were passing through. You can see the large concrete construction for the Atlantic Bridge being built.:

MarTravel2017A%20054_zpsmy8mwbw9.jpg

This picture give a closer look at these “mules” and the very steep inclines that they must go up to pull ships through this initial series of locks. That name or phrase of “mules” goes back to the old days for canals in the 1800’s when those creatures pulled the boats along canal routes. These current tractors are electric-powered and these are the third-generation of this design to be used during the past 100+ year history here.:

MarTravel2017A%20057_zpsvg2e0vsx.jpg

Venice and Nice are must do's. Just be aware that Dubrovnik is starting to aggressively quota day visitors, so if two cruise ships arrive on the same day and the other arrives earlier than SS it may be problematic.

From Jeff's wise and interesting tip/warning about Dubrovnik, I did dig and check a little more. From the fairly-respected Bloomberg News on August 24, they had this headline: Croatia Has a Plan to Avoid the Tourism Backlash with these highlights: Croatia is seeking to shift away from its tried-and-true model of packing in tourists in favor of increasing visitors’ overall spending, dealing a potential blow to cruise and budget holiday operators. The former Yugoslav republic has long catered to ship operators. Now it’s also witnessing a surge fueled by fans flocking to the historical port city of Dubrovnik, which featured in the last Star Wars film and serves as King’s Landing in the HBO television series Game of Thrones.

This story has a number of quotes from the Mayor of Dubrovnik and notes their "plan is to limit the number of cruise ships to two per day and about 4,000 passengers, from the current situation where up to six dock."

The cruise industry, for good reason, is not happy with this potential "plan". What is unclear is as to whether this idea is totally finalized and when legally it would start, how it would be enforced, etc. In reading more, this Mayor just took office in June and it seems much that this potential is still in "play" as to when and what happens next. The Dubrovnik Mayor would like to have more people stay longer in his town and not just be day-visitors on a cruise ship. He encourage ship to stop as some nearby, but less used ports, etc.

Full story at:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-24/croatia-seeks-quality-over-quantity-as-tourism-backlash-grows

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,580 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

We will be in Dubrovnik again on 2 of October. We are hoping it's less crowded and less hot. It's a beautiful walled city, and I can understand why the city has concerns about the huge number of tourists. It's the same tourist gridlock in Barcelona, Venice, Florence, Rome and even Hvar.

I have seen articles about the increasing numbers of tourists in Croatia, and that they seek to limit tourists to those of a certain "caliber". I am not sure how they intend to implement these restrictions.

Spins,

Sadly Dubrovnik has sort of morphed into a sort if Disneyland and there are now extrmeley few people actually living within the walls. At night it is pretty dead. They will plan to reduce the number of larger ships, and I suspect simply control numbers passing through the entrance gates. There will then probably be a backlash from traders when takings drop.

It wouldn't suprise me if they imtroduce a high ship tourist tax based on passenger numbers. This would benefit the city and curtail numbers. At the moment the majority of cruise visitors spend virtually no cash so a tax would be a no brainer.