Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Still looking bad and very troubled for both sides of the Florida coasts, etc. Just talked with a good friend whose wife has a number of family members in the Tampa area. This shift in direction with Irma has made their life very crazy and confused. Lots of people from Columbus that we know live in the Naples and Tampa-St. Pete areas on that western coast of Florida.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,692 views for this posting.

Within the last half hour, here is the latest projection from the National Weather Service as of 11 am EDT.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-09%20at%2011.20.03%20AM_zpsbxodd3t9.png

Edited by TLCOhio

Here is the latest official track map that shows the projection for the South Florida area where Spins is located. It appears that this region would be outside of the blue track lines that face the most danger and risk. BUT, still lots of rain and wind for these areas in and around Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc. The brown shape is the 2 pm location this afternoon for the center of Hurricane Irma. The black line is the expected path for the storm center.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,516 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is an updated afternoon graphic from the National Weather Service.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-09%20at%203.01.06%20PM_zpsv7bsekz8.png

Hi, better as in more clear? I agree...She will start to re intensify though....she is a cat 3 now but there is enough VERY

WARM water between Cuba and Key West for her to strengthen again:mad::(:eek:.........may I ask, where does Spins live?

Oh, the next full update is at 5:00 and I keep looking at the idiots who are still walking around Key West...............are they serious?

This article is about how important Steve Jobs felt that people bumping into each other and chatting often produces unexpected results. It's an interesting article also musing about how randomness affects the trajectory of our lives. Makes you think about how many chance meetings and observations completely changes the paths we take. How we meet our partners, start businesses and change our work directions etc etc

Tech Bubble

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/its-good-to-talk-steve-jobs-knew-that-m2cqzscmd?shareToken=61c3ceb8bbbd89130ff17de131bee229

G'Day......

Interesting article Jeff.....l do think that our lives are mapped out for us from day one....true believer in what will be will be.

Seems Irma is twirling around a bit...hopefully good for Spins and Co.....good to see some cruise lines are sending ships to help...

Idle day today.......😊

Hi S, yes... I posted it because it triggered me to think about how pivotal moments in wifey and my life were nearly all unplanned and random chance. We met by chance, started a business due to random events, were successful through hard work and random events. However hard you try to carefully plan and manage your life in the end good and bad chance often holds the defining keys.

And to Irma .... hope everyone is OK ......

Today was a nice piece of cold sous vide salmon with a potato and cucumber and scallion salad with some of my pickle. The wine is a blend produced by a British couple who relatively recently decided to move to Provence and blend what turned to be award winning rose.

bdb37e5e9462c6d48748342a889dc069.jpg

ae4aa69d9a254fdd612479228210b1ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So true Jeff....suppose the other theory is we don't know what's around the next corner....and maybe good that we don't in some ways!

Food looks delish as always.....farm shop produced two very tasty pork chops this morning which are now sizzling away with some veggies and petit pois on the side......😊

Have not not heard anything this morning from Spins or Lois. Hope they are surviving. Below is the current radar look for the State of Florida. It seems that the whole state is being covered with lots of rain, high wind, etc. Things are clearly moving up the western coast. BUT, based on watching live TV reports, it is impacting the whole state with much more to come. Our best to those in Florida. Much of the west coast is or will be being hit with major storm surges. There are now 1.4 million people in Florida without power. That number will go much higher, sadly. It will take much more time to restore electric service in the state.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,483 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

At near 11 am EDT, this is the radar look for the State of Florida from AccuWeather. Second is the latest projection from the National Weather Service with the direct hits to be mostly at Ft. Myers and Tampa/St. Pete. But clearly the impact is statewide.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-10%20at%2010.59.06%20AM_zpsdbehuuxo.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-10%20at%2011.08.42%20AM_zpswrdx4ghb.png

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry, I am here.......nothing new.....some rain and wind but we are not going to get anything major until later tonight/early tomorrow...

Good to hear from Lois that you are surviving . . . so far . . . reasonably well. BUT, it is just starting for those in the northern part of Florida. Keep us posted!! Have sent Spins an e-mail this morning, but have not hear back from her. She might be working to save battery on her phone. Yesterday, she noted: "I have cabin fever. It's a cave in here." Yes, that waiting takes time and with windows boarded-up, it is dark inside, waiting and waiting.

Have been in touch this morning with a good friend with a home near the Gulf of Mexico in the Siesta Key area close to Sarasota. They are here in Columbus now, but will be waiting till tomorrow to get word as to what happens to their home there.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,516 views.

Roberto's sister lives in New Tampa; off shore from Tampa City. They have a new house built to the latest code; still we are very worried for them... Photos from the conditions in the shelters are very sad; people laying on the floor and others walking over them. Some shelters are over capacity now. I have relatives in Fort Myers with a house fronting a canal. They were vacationing in Rhode Island and were not able to return. I'm relieved they are out of the area, even if sad for the foreseeable destruction to their house and boat, which were not prepared. Glad to hear Lois is well, and hope to hear same from Spins when she is able to communicate.

Roberto's sister lives in New Tampa; off shore from Tampa City. They have a new house built to the latest code; still we are very worried for them.

The cable TV news just shared a report from the National Weather Service of wind gusts hitting 130 mph near Marco Island (south of Naples). This island is right near or at where Hurricane Irma is preparing to come ashore. Really brutal!! They are now up millions of people being without electric power in Florida.

Near where Spins lives in southern Palm Beach County, they had just confirmed reports of a tornado touching down on the ground in that eastern coast area of high population density. Hope Spins and DH stay and are safe.

Talked in detail with a good friend within the past hour who has a home just north of Naples. He went through the details with me on the elevation of their property there (about 15') and distance from the Gulf. They should be OK, maybe??!! But most important were the details he shared on how Florida had significantly tighten its building codes after Hurricane Andrew in mid-August 1992. If your home was built after that period, your structure is much better able to withstand these winds and storms. There are many older properties that were not built that well and are more likely to be destroyed in the face of this storm.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 38,371 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

WOW!! Appreciate this very interesting column from an author/source who has had first-hand background dealing with the "bosses" of the EU in Brussels. Of special interest to me was this paragraph: "Ever since Theresa May embarked on her ill-conceived journey towards an ill-defined hard Brexit, I have been warning my friends in Britain of what lies ahead. The EU would not negotiate with London, I told them. Under the guise of negotiations it would force May and her team to expend all their energies negotiating for the right to . . . negotiate."

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 37,843 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Hi Terry,

You may have noticed that I have suggested many, many times that the last thing EU leadership wants is a successful mutually beneficial outcome of the negotiations. In fact that would be failure because it would inevitably encourage other EU citizens to demand the right to vote to reestablish democrcy in their own countires. For the EU to survive and limp on the negotiations must fail.

Hi Terry, You may have noticed that I have suggested many, many times that the last thing EU leadership wants is a successful mutually beneficial outcome of the negotiations. In fact that would be failure because it would inevitably encourage other EU citizens to demand the right to vote to reestablish democrcy in their own countires. For the EU to limp on the negotiations must fail.

Agreed!! "FREEDOM" is the last thing to be allowed and/or encouraged by the Brussels EU Bureaucrats. They have their power now and want to keep the "little people" from being able to get around their central power and control.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,731 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

The cable TV news folks continue to cover well the wind, rain, etc., challenges in Florida. Below is a recent chart giving more background on the direction for this storm, the wind speeds, etc. Gusts are up to and around 130 mph. Now they are also posting photos of the damages and impacts affecting Cuba and its people. One danger is how the winds are knocking loose parts of roofs and then those pieces become dangerous flying projectiles. Real dangers and risks in being outside there.

From the National Weather Service, here is one of their most recent graphics. Within the aqua-colored circle, the winds are more than 39 mph; within lime-green shade, it is more than 58 mph; within the brown area, it is over 74 mph. As shown, the center of this hurricane will pass directly over Tampa. Plus, this second graphic with more details for those specific towns being hit along the western Florida coast from the NY Times.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-10%20at%204.22.18%20PM_zps0nf2nkws.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-10%20at%204.42.40%20PM_zps4ymhneyh.png

Edited by TLCOhio

Looks like the worst of it has passed by my Dad. House and horses are ok when I checked with him an hour ago. Hope the northern Floridians are ok now.

Good to hear this report from J.P. Just saw the radar where the Jacksonville area got hit with lot and LOTS of rain and wind earlier this morning. Any details from Lois?

Still have not heard any feed-back or follow-up from Spins. Saturday afternoon, her Internet was not working very well. Still had power then. Many stories from Florida now are featuring some variation of this headline: "Nearly half of Florida in the dark". Another headline notes: "Officials: Full power restoration to Florida homes could take weeks". Between the tornados and high winds in the area where Spins and DH live, I assume and hope that they are OK. BUT, being challenged for power and communications links. All of the morning media reports are clear that the Florida "clean-up" and recovery is going to be long, challenging, costly and difficult.

Today, is also the marking of the anniversary of the tragic 9/11 attacks in the United States.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Edited by TLCOhio

Thanks for all the updates from Terry.....haven't had mail from Spins either but understandable as they start to recover....hope Lois is well.

Good news from JP about family.....

Winds and rain are lashing us here today with more to come....world weather has gone mad.

Remembering 9/11 with many others....many programmes on but l can't watch them, horror and evil at its worst.

Final week cruise countdown on and raring to go.....😊