Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

We're off down to Seaside on Wednesday. Daughters birthday today, mine tommorow and wifey's on Tuesday. There must be a conception concept somehwere there. :D

Are you entitled to and able to get a deserved "GROUP DISCOUNT" with this many birthdays during such a short period of time? There should be a law to allow those advantages under this unique circumstance!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,643 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

What we have missing it seems to me is a complete lack of lifeskills training. With the increase in social media the focus on self rather than empathy skills seems to be extreme. This new generation seem to see their world as extremely ego-centric with almost themselves almost as the star of the production the world appears to them to be and the rest of us are sort of peripheral audiences, our sole functions being to "like" or "follow" or "retweet". They seem to have lost a basis of simply how small they are in the world of billions of equals and how to work with and through others. What suprises me these days is how more kids lack discipline and respect for others. So understanding through ratings for attendance, a rating for promptness/lateness, for cooperation, helping others, humour perhaps .... perhaps different ratings for behaviour. Memory is important, but there must be better ways of exercising and improving kids memories. At the moment more that 50% of all kids in the UK go on to University. University is required for many things, but it isn't required for 50% of the population and the creation of such a high level of unfulfillable expectations is damaging to the kids and to society. Perhaps we need less education (except for those that will need it in their lives and profession) and a greater emphasis on training for work and life.

Appreciate these many additional wise comments and follow-ups regarding education and how to prepare our youth for the future. Lots of solid thoughts and ideas from Jeff, Mysty, etc. Like Jeff's above wisdom/points. Very smart when Mysty noted: "I do think there is a need for a reality check in terms of expectations for our children. Not every child is a Dickens and yet each child should have the opportunity to explore their interests and passions. Realistic guidance can help direct them into careers and endeavours that they would likely enjoy and thrive in tailored to their individual abilities."

What aren't all kids "gifted" and so very special? That's what some parent believe!! Then, they want to blame schools, teachers, etc., if their darling "star" is not given it "all"!!?? Parents can be part of the challenge with unrealistic expectations and loving to play the "blame game" regarding their perfect child!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,440 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

G'Day All....

Lots of delish foodie pics and interesting debates!

Started the packing this morning but failed to complete as too many interruptions so I've given up until Monday!

Gardener has been in for instructions while I'm away....poor flowers are looking sad so ''tis time to say farewell, put the pots in the greenhouse for the winter and empty the water feature....it's going to look so bleak when l get back...:(

River pub beckons tomorrow for lunch...roaring log fires and a good old Sunday roast.....

Happy Weekend 😊

Good morning friends:)

I have been researching trips for my 60th birthday....I was actually looking at a land trip to Ireland. But a land trip is

just giving me pause......I love to cruise so much:D.........anyway, I found a company on line that is like a broker.......you

tell them what type of trip you are trying to find and they match you up with a TA specializing in your area. I have been

in touch with a company called Emerald Custom Tours....the gal has been very nice.......it is 9 nights out of Dublin

and it is a "small group tour"...16 max. Some of the properties looks lovely.......castles that have been turned into

resort/hotels. But the part I can't seem to get past, is the packing/unpacking, etc..........it is just so much easier on

a cruise......unpack ONCE...........Land trips might be better if I didn't have to work LOL.......I could go for a longer

time, rent a place and just travel from there......;)

Next, as much as I loved my SS cruise, I also LOVE river cruising and am thinking about taking another one PARIS TO

NORMANDY. I went on AMA last year and LOVED IT.....they do the Paris trip but the timing is not the best for me.

So, I looked at Uniworld, which gets EXCELLENT reviews.......timing works better for me.

I am continuing my research:)

Paris in the spring can indeed be lovely, but Paris is a place you make it to be rather than is. It has changed a lot but the jewels are all still there. It's a bit about lingering over stuff you discover by chance rather than contrive. The tourist stuff is over-worn but old fashioned wandering and foraging is still very much there. And three or four words of French pays dividends. And a lunch or two in a named restaurant is still a great value way to sample some of the worlds best food at less than evening a la carte prices. And singles are welcomed and looked after in most.

I am now going to shower and get dressed........I am meeting a friend for breakfast in about an hour who is visiting from

South Florida......she had to evacuate the storm and went up to Nashville........she is now on her way back down to get

home.

Chat later:)

Greetings Coolers! Unseasonably warm temps here. So strange since I had the furnace on last week!

Thanks for the Honourable Mention Terry! :)

Miss S. Enjoy your lunch tomorrow! It sounds like a wonderful place to "sit a spell" and savour the good things in life!

Lois....We did a Uniworld river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel in 2009 and loved it! Good luck with planning your next adventure!

J...Happy Birthdays to you, Mrs. J and a belated to Ms. J! Enjoy your celebrations and seaside!

Spins...Hope your packing a cruise prep is going smoothly! Have a wonderful trip!

Have a great day all!

I have been researching trips for my 60th birthday....I was actually looking at a land trip to Ireland. But a land trip is just giving me pause......I love to cruise so much. The part I can't seem to get past, is the packing/unpacking, etc..........it is just so much easier on

a cruise......unpack ONCE...........Land trips might be better if I didn't have to work LOL.......I could go for a longer time, rent a place and just travel from there.. Next, as much as I loved my SS cruise, I also LOVE river cruising and am thinking about taking another one PARIS TO NORMANDY. I went on AMA last year and LOVED IT.....they do the Paris trip but the timing is not the best for me. So, I looked at Uniworld, which gets EXCELLENT reviews.......timing works better for me. I am continuing my research.

Wonderful options for Lois to be considering. Yes, there are several pro/con, trade-offs, etc., to analyze and review. Have loved both Ireland and the many charming areas of France, etc. The great thing is that you are able to consider these options . . . and then DO IT!! Keep us posted with any questions!! We are happy to encourage you by helping to spend your money and valuable time.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 37,918 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Quite right L, the point I was clumsily making was that art is art in any country but Paris is unique in that it is essentialy like most main French cities a series of lovely small villages each with their own bar, butcher, baker etc ...and if as a tourist you forgo just doing only tourist stuff then it really pays off.

I have a particular affinity with Paris, as I have family in Paris, have worked there playing records - use to go over for a few hours work each week when i was a kid ... and other stuff, and pre-wifey had a Paris based pop singer as a girlfriend (although it transpired she told fibs about her age and was much older than me ... hardly a "girl"... but all French women tell fibs about their age to young impressionable men ...) but it's a place worth spending say seven days rather than just a weekend.

Tell us more, Lois. My memory gets a little rusty!! As you consider places to visit in Europe, what most interests and motivates you? Is it history, culture, shopping, architecture, urban environments, nature, music, art, wildlife, nightlife, food, scenic countrysides, wine, etc.?? Are you mostly for being more "aggressive" in doing and seeing as much as possible? Or, seeking a more relaxed and laid-back experience? Are more just of a "float on a boat" person where the ship is the prime "destination"?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 38,583 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

I have a particular affinity with Paris, as I have family in Paris, have worked there playing records - use to go over for a few hours work each week when i was a kid ... and other stuff, and pre-wifey had a Paris based pop singer as a girlfriend (although it transpired she told fibs about her age and was much older than me ... hardly a "girl"... but all French women tell fibs about their age to young impressionable men ...) but it's a place worth spending say seven days rather than just a weekend.

Agree with Jeff as to the great virtue for spending more time in Paris and living like a "local" there. BUT, was totally surprised that French women would fib on their age and take such advantage of a "young impressionable man" such as Jeff. Very shocking that he was such a total "victim"!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,161 views for this posting.

Many thanks to all for their e-wishes. I am 36 hours older than wifey but she looks a lot younger.

Yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jeff and so glad to know that he did NOT marry an "older woman". After his tragic Paris experience with those types of females, that would not have been as cool to be younger than your wife.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,706 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks All,

Wifey and I are down to Balcony on Wednesday, Helga willing. And daughter is starting a new life in a lovely new house with swans, a river, new village pubs to be explored and is just joining a well known large legal practice as partner iin their corporate law side. A new life.

Dad's have unique and special relationships with sole daughters. I remember once her asking me to read a thesis she had spent weeks writing. It was terrible. And because of that "special" relationship I was able to tell her extremely clearly that not only was it absolute crap, but it couldn't be resuscitated and she needed to start again from scratch. She did, and several weeks later it was perfect and she got a perfect degree.

I had the joy of not only being there as dad through her studies, but also working with her with some of our corporate clients. So she was able to see what dad did which was sometimes opaque and odd, and I was able to see what daughter did. I once forgot myself whilst taking a client for a conference with her and her senior partners ... and when she came to reception to collect us, I forgot myself and lifted her up off her feet, and kissed her and she said " dad, put me down, I'm a solicitor!" But what are dad's for if not for embarrassing their kids.

Thanks again all.

Happy Birthday Jeff et al; have a very enjoyable weekend!

We were up late last night. Decided to wash the cushion covers on our sunroom furniture (lots of cat hair) and then we reassembled everything, and put it out in the new sunroom. It's pretty much done other than a few final cosmetic tweaks. But we were up after midnight so a late morning today.

53886bbafa6093f8a263b6b7f1ee2af8.jpg

Lois, it would be hard to go wrong with Uniworld. You may have seen my blogs for the last four Uniworld cruises that we took. They have all been very enjoyable! Good luck choosing!

We were up late last night. Decided to wash the cushion covers on our sunroom furniture (lots of cat hair) and then we reassembled everything, and put it out in the new sunroom. It's pretty much done other than a few final cosmetic tweaks.

53886bbafa6093f8a263b6b7f1ee2af8.jpg

Great looking room, J.P. and Chris!! Glad that things have come together well. We've got perfect weather here in Columbus.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.