Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Just listened to the mayor of Jacksonville who reported that Jacksonville is experiencing record flooding. Thinking of Lois with prayers...Penny

YES, lots of challenges for Jacksonville. The high tide there is combining with all of the rain and storm surges, etc. Not good or fun.

On another thread, I raised questions as to how soon locations such as St. Maarten and St. Barts can recovered for cruise ship visitors scheduled in October, November, etc., with the planned ship visits. From the New York Times today, they have this headline: Desperation Mounts in Caribbean Islands: ‘All the Food Is Gone’ with these highlights: In the days since Irma pummeled the northeast Caribbean, the social fabric has begun to fray in some of the hardest-hit communities. Residents of St. Martin spoke about a general disintegration of law and order as survivors struggled in the face of severe food and water shortages, and the absence of electricity and phone service. The Dutch territorial side of the island has also experienced widespread security problems at shops, though the issue was reported to have subsided by Sunday, though not completely.

Sadly, this story details many of the challenges facing these islands and areas. This includes about restoring order and safety there.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/world/americas/irma-caribbean-st-martin.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Any more updates and details from Lois?? This afternoon, we are seeing lots of video and hearing interviews with officials in and around Jacksonville as to the flooding there in the main business areas.

They are inspecting and checking the many bridges along the Keys before opening up those roadways and that access to this highly-impacted area. Lots of added video coming in from drone views of damages at Marco Island, Naples, the Keys, etc. A local TV anchor in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area is saying that about 80% in their area are now without electric power. Assume Spins and DH are in that group so affected in being out of electricity.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,801 views for this posting.

SPINS SURVIVES!! Just received this message via e-mail for Spins: "No power for over 24 hours. In and out of safe room much of time as tornadoes kept hitting. Winds roaring. Lots of debris everywhere. Trees down. No flooding here. Hot as Hades. Food will be spoiled. Now we clean up. We survived."

Clearly this has not been fun for Spins and DH. I replied: "Glad to know you survived under very challenging conditions. Will share!! Keep up the good work. Know you’ve got many challenges ahead, but a great cruise ahead in your future."

We kind of forget about how when the power goes out that the food spoils. Then, how do you go out, find stores that have power and are open, etc. Lots of logistical and real-life difficulties in seeking some type of return to "normality".

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,554 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for the update on Spins, Terry! Wonderful news that they survived! If you "talk" to her again, please send her our very best wishes and joy that she and DH are OK!

It may be a while before we hear news of Lois. All digits crossed for her and other friends and family of Cooler folk.

Hi friends:).......I am fine.......I had no internet and it just came back on...........but at least I had electric:D.....I never

lost power........I just could not use the net..........and thanks for thinking of me. Yes, our downtown was FLOODED.....

the streets looked like a river:eek:............the St Johns is the BIG RIVER and so when high tide came, it was around

2......all the water from the rains had no place to go...........this storm literally hit the entire state.......from the Keys

to here.........UNBELIEVABLE:eek:

Glad Spins is ok tool!

I feel very fortunate that by the time Irma arrived here it was downgraded to a tropical depression. We are in a suburb just north of Atlanta. All our schools are closed today and tomorrow. Our power flickers on and off and my brother in law who lives a few towns over lost his power, but has a generator. My heart goes out to all affected by this powerful storm before it got here.

Hi friends:).......I am fine.......I had no internet and it just came back on...........but at least I had electric .....I never lost power........I just could not use the net..........and thanks for thinking of me. Yes, our downtown was FLOODED..... the streets looked like a river............the St Johns is the BIG RIVER and so when high tide came, it was around 2......all the water from the rains had no place to go........... this storm literally hit the entire state.......from the Keys to here.........UNBELIEVABLE. Glad Spins is ok tool!!

Great to hear that Lois has never lost power and is surviving in Jacksonville. BUT, overall bad news for Florida as the full recovery will take many, many weeks.

Just got another update/message from Spins in her home area north of Fort Lauderdale. She said: "In my car charging phone. Drove thru my neighborhood. Lots of huge trees down. I know airports damaged. Two small trees hit our house. Roof tiles missing. Custom made and no replacements."

I replied back: "Now the real 'cabin fever' sets in as you and others wait for power to be restored, etc. At the Cooler, others (and me) have been very happy to hear your update and surviving status. Will share more with the others there. Keep up the patience!! Let us know if I can do anything to help."

It's hard to image being without electricity and what that really means. No cold or hot food. No TV. No Internet. No CPAP machine for me. No fans or air conditioning. No garage door opener working, etc., etc. We all kind of take this power source for granted . . . until it is gone. A few years back, a large tree feel over and knocked out our home power for about four days. Not having electric gets old very quickly.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,874 views for these postings.

The Big Chicken! Lol! We're a bit further East, in Milton (if anyone knows where that is.)

Yes, my first Cooler post. I feel a little like I'm walking into a room where everyone knows each other and I'm trying not to interrupt the conversation. But you all are really nice. If this is how people are on the Silver Wind when we go on our cruise this Spring, it'll be a very pleasant cruise indeed!

napria,

everyone does know everyone, but you are now a fully fledged member of the gang. Nothing important (except for Irma ..... ) is ever discussed, but everyone here is friendly and is not allowed to bite!

I do so envy you Atlanta. A long time ago I seemed to have spent several years coming over every two of three weeks. I use to enjoy free weekends driving up to Dahlanooga.

The Big Chicken! Lol! We're a bit further East, in Milton (if anyone knows where that is.)

Yes, my first Cooler post. I feel a little like I'm walking into a room where everyone knows each other and I'm trying not to interrupt the conversation. But you all are really nice. If this is how people are on the Silver Wind when we go on our cruise this Spring, it'll be a very pleasant cruise indeed!

Hi, I am fairly new to this thread and was welcomed with open arms too.:).........you be safe..........I am in Jacksonville

and Irma was here for the past couple of days:mad:

The Big Chicken! Lol! We're a bit further East, in Milton (if anyone knows where that is.) Yes, my first Cooler post. I feel a little like I'm walking into a room where everyone knows each other and I'm trying not to interrupt the conversation. But you all are really nice. If this is how people are on the Silver Wind when we go on our cruise this Spring, it'll be a very pleasant cruise indeed!

YES, Napria, welcome to this part of the Cruise Critic boards. Appreciate your involvement and follow-up. My best suggestion? Don't be shy!! If you have a question and/or something is not clear, just ask and/or say so. As noted, nobody bites too much here.

Nice horse pictures from J.P. For Lois, keep us posted as to how and when the waters will be going down in Jacksonville. I just heard your Mayor there saying the ups and downs of that river are much different than what happens compared to coastal water patterns.

As I might have mentioned on another thread, we have done a decent number of days and sailings on the Silver Wind's sister ship, the Silver Cloud. It is a very nice, personal size of a ship. Not slick or too fancy. Just comfortable with a wonderful staff, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,517 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Napria - Hope you're safe and sound. Our best friends, by the way who we met on the Silver Wind four years ago, live on Lake Oconee near Greensboro, GA. They had a rough day today with lots of rain, wind, and no power. It was real nasty to use their words but survived with no problems. We're all sailing on the Spirit in November and need to get this and some other serious life challenges behind us.

Edited by Randyk47

Morning All.....

Great news that everyone is safe and well.....Spins will be so ready for some cruise relaxation next week....and some fizz!

Warm welcome to napria.....love Atlanta....hate the airport!!😉

Love the horses JP....miss the three l had up north but not the mucking out or feeding in the winter!

So we have a new ship on the horizon...Silver Moon to launch in 2020....let's hope lessons have been learnt from the Muse!

Storm Aileen on the way here with 75mph winds and localised flooding....good job the wine rack is full!!

😊

Morning All.....

Great news that everyone is safe and well.....Spins will be so ready for some cruise relaxation next week....and some fizz!

Warm welcome to napria.....love Atlanta....hate the airport!!😉

Love the horses JP....miss the three l had up north but not the mucking out or feeding in the winter!

So we have a new ship on the horizon...Silver Moon to launch in 2020....let's hope lessons have been learnt from the Muse!

Storm Aileen on the way here with 75mph winds and localised flooding....good job the wine rack is full!!

😊

We have, over the past few years, come to like Atlanta airport. It is huge, but we find it pretty easy to navigate, and there are some nice restaurants if we have a longer layover. Since we fly SkyTeam, and usually have to go through either Atlanta or Detroit every time we fly out of Albany. So we do spend a fair amount of time there.

The horses are fun to visit, yes. But I am glad they aren't in my back yard! Lots of work, for sure.

Your storm sounds like no fun either. Be safe!

Wow you guys are active over here! Thank you all for the warm welcome! It's 6:45 AM and my son just texted me and woke me from a luxurious sleeping in. I'm unexpectedly off today too. Tomorrow I'll be back to waking up at 3:45.

Haven't looked out yet to see the damage or if we have flooding. We've lived in this house 13 years now and I've seen flooding only twice; once the water was getting uncomfortably close to the house.

Hartsfield Jackson Airport isn't so bad once you know your way around. It's fairly easy to get to and I have the option of taking MARTA right into the airport. I used to live on Long Island and I prefer Hartsfield Jackson over JFK, Newark or Islip any day.

UK Cruise Jeff, The North Georgia Mountains are beautiful! It's an easy day trip for us.

RandyK47 Lake Oconee is very nice! We tend to go to Lake Lanier since it's closer.

Terry, I think you were the first to welcome me on Cruise Critic... you're such a pleasant (and very helpful!) person.

It's hard to image being without electricity and what that really means. No cold or hot food. No TV. No Internet. No CPAP machine for me. No fans or air conditioning. No garage door opener working, etc., etc. We all kind of take this power source for granted . . . until it is gone. A few years back, a large tree feel over and knocked out our home power for about four days. Not having electric gets old very quickly.

Terry,

You should try being in my neck of the woods! We get hit by hurricanes regularly, we always lose power after a storm, and with no power we not only lose everything you mention but we also lose water. In Bermuda our water is collected from the roof (that's why the roofs are painted white), stored in a tank under the house, and pumped to the taps with an electric pump. So we all know to fill many, many containers pre-storm with water for drinking (try not to buy plastic bottles), and fill the bath with water for washing and flushing. Otherwise we have to open the tank inspection hatch and haul water out in buckets - no fun!

PS Forgot the most important thing - no ice for the rum!!

JP & Napria.....to be fair its well over seven years since l navigated Hartsfield....way back when we used to take DD to Disney it was our easiest link from the UK to MCO with Delta.....it was however a very easy airport to drive in and out of and l used to congratulate myself for tackling the six lane highways with ease...much to the annoyance of the then hubby!!

Cam....I'm guessing that with the introduction of the Moon the Wind may become an explorer like the Cloud.....with the Spirit having her facelift next year the vessel will be a welcome 'new' addition to the fleet.

Jolly......l remember the water issues when l was on The Franconia in 1971 doing the NYC/Bermuda run.....l seem to recall that the ship would carry water to the island every week as us crew used to get many perks when ashore....l could of course be wrong but free entry and drinks at the Forty Thieves was always very welcome 😉

Terry.....we don't just rely on electricity here but have gas cookers as an alternative which can be very useful in power cuts...although that doesn't prevent the freezers, TV's wifi etc from shutting down!

😊