Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Sorry Mysty! I should have been more clear...that was my point...the President of the United States did not know that Canada had a Prime Minister, and then went on to call him the worst. I believe I told you previously, that I am a dual US Canadian citizen...Penny

Yes you did Penny and that is why I knew you would know that we have a Prime Minister. Don't apologize!!!! I should have picked up that you were referring to a reference to the lack of knowledge of a certain President! :) I had not read DT's comment on PM Trudeau before now. So your reference was a good thing! Now I know!

Thanks for sharing that Penny! It seems many of our neighbours to the South don't know much about us or our geography. My father used to work for Customs and Excise in Windsor. He told stories about people crossing by car into Canada "for the day" for a trip to Montreal. That is a 8.5 hour drive one way from Windsor at the best of times. Others were shocked that there was no snow (in the summer) or polar bears. It is a little more surprising that DT would not have been advised by his handlers that Canada had a Prime Minister. Seems a tad disrespectful and a little demeaning.

So fellow Canadian......Happy Thanksgiving!

Spins...one of the money-saving things I have found (thanks to an early post by J about a free Kindle book) was free Kindle books. You need to be a little careful here since there are many self-published books that are awful! However I have found many first of a series books here that were great. I'm sure the intent is to get interested readers to buy the next in the series. If you check the reviews of the books carefully you may find a treasure trove of free reads. Just enter "free kindle books" on the amazon site.

Tonight's halibut. Very simple preparation. Salt, pepper, and flour on the fillets then crisped in olive oil with garlic chunks. Add lemon juice, a splash of wine, and broth to poach for a few minutes. Served over pearl couscous.

i-qh3fstC-XL.jpg

Spins,

On the topic of cash saving and Amazon there is an app called Amazon Alert . If there is something you are not in a rush for but want it at some time or other you can set up the app to tell you the moment an item reaches a price at which you are prepared to buy. I use it for gizmos and other non essential gadgets etc.

Hi All.....

Happy Thanksgiving to our lovely Canadian coolers and Happy Holiday day to the US coolers......

Love Halibut but as a steak...my mother would poach in parsley butter which was delicious..don't seem to be able to get it like that these days. Having poached salmon today with new potatoes and a Caesar salad as it's quite a warm sultry day.

A good morning has been had in town buying all the special Christmas cards et al....along with other celebratory cards.....l now fear l just may be too organised!

Hope Mysty posts pics of the beef a la DH!

😊

Greetings Coolers!

Thanks Miss S. for the Thanksgiving greeting! I'll see what I can do in regards to a pic of the beef. :) Your shopping trip sounds like it was fun and successful. Enjoy your lovely lunch!

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today! My curiosity was piqued in regard to how many countries celebrate Thanksgiving. Low and behold there are 10. I present for your reading pleasure the list:

1. The U.S. celebrates Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday of November.

3 other countries celebrate in a nearly identical way to the U.S.

2. Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on the 2nd Monday of October.

3. Liberia was founded by freed American slaves and the country carries on with the American tradition.

4. Norfolk Island where an American trader brought the feasting tradition with him.

The remaining countries on the list have a holiday celebrating the autumn harvest and/or a celebration of gratitude.

5. Germany - called Erntedankfest

6. Grenada

7. China

8. Japan

9. South Korea

10. Vietnam

Have a wonderful day all!

Thanks for the holiday greeting Spins! And to the celebrants in the U.S. - Happy Columbus Day!

Another cost reduction method I have found works for me is to shop for Vintage clothing on etsy.com and to shop at consignment shops. I found some really good buys of clothing in excellent condition. I now have pieces that I will not see walking toward me. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends! October 12 is called Discovery Day (rather than Columbus Day) in our Island and, following US norms, it would have been celebrated today...except no celebrations... Here in the US, Thanksgiving is a major holiday, and a lovely one at that. It's probably the only non-commercial holiday, when the reunion of family and friends is more important than even the food. Well, that's stretching it a bit... Oven roasted turkey and a myriad of pies are de rigeur. Apart from Christmas, my favorite holiday.

Thanks Cam!

OK....this is another test of my work-around. I created a new blog and posted a photo to it. Here's hoping this works. If it does it will be a picture from Fall of 2016. Our leaves are not at this stage yet this year.

DSC04560.jpg

Spins...My big adventure blog was created on blogspot.com. Once you create a blogspot account you can create a blog. In my case I created a new blog just called Photos. You can choose a theme and enhancements. I just chose the most basic design (called Simple in their list of themes). You determine the settings you want. My settings for this blog are very strict - not listed on Blogger list and not searchable on Google. There is no comment section. You can preview your design as you go. Once you are happy with it go to Posts on the left side Menu options and create your post. I just used the date as the title and added my photo (there is a picture icon in the toolbar running along the top just above the post page). Choose the photo you want to add. When you click on the loaded picture you can determine the size. Once that is done right click to copy image location. Then in CC use the little yellow picture icon above the message and paste the URL there. You then go back to your blog post and hit Publish on the right hand side. If you need more info, please let me know. :)

Edited by mysty

In the spirit of Thanksgiving I am sincerely grateful that:

- I can walk hand-in-hand and shoulder-to-elbow through life with Myster (I am short and he is tall :))

- I have wonderful kids, grand kids and family

- I live in a safe, beautiful neighbourhood in a safe, beautiful city, in a safe, beautiful country

- I have a very friendly and supportive group of Coolers Patrons

- even with a reduced "retirement' income we will be fine

- Myster and I are in relatively good health

- that I can spend this dull rainy day in my pajamas

And finally - Myster is cooking! :)

Edited by mysty

Any Lord of the Rings fans will know about “second breakfast”. In that spirit we refer to today as “second Thanksgiving”. We traditionally have our turkey on Sunday, and the official holiday (Monday) is devoted to consuming leftovers (yum) and making soup.

I too am thankful for many things ... too many to list here.

As far as ‘handy hints for saving money’, I could probably write a book! But most of them are boring, like “use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without”.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, from the left coast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Loved your posting, Mysty! There are many things to be thankful for, and I am. Beyond family, friends, home, health and my furry friends, I am thankful that I discovered the Water Cooler and have met this friendly, fun and oh so knowledgeable group. I look forward to checking in each day to see what you have been up to, and the meals on display.....Penny

Penny,

Lovely to read your post and the others over the last couple of days .... and I feel that we really should be appreciative of CC and in particular Host Dan who has indulged us and allowed us to have the Cooler, something that could have been refused or stopped at any time. They have not only hosted it but allowed us a degree of freedom that I think we all appreciate.

Considering how long the Cooler has been rolling along aimlessly there has been surprisingly little turbulence over the years and long may it be so.

:)