Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

Guest maddycat

I called RCI's post cruise customer service on Sat. to remove the $12.36 mini bar charge from our 5/12-1/20 Anthem cruise. The person that I spoke to was very pleasant, said that the charge would be removed and the matter would be reported to their supervisor. The charge was removed by Wed.

During the call I mentioned that this was the second Anthem cruise that I had the same post cruise mini bar charge and that I was not pleased. I also mentioned the several long threads on cruise critic about this and how many people consider it a scam.

I included it in the post cruise survey and the survey that I was sent as a follow up to my call to RCI's post cruise customer service. Yesterday, I sent an email to Mr. Bayley. I received a response from his office today saying that they will get back to me about the matter.

I called RCI's post cruise customer service on Sat. to remove the $12.36 mini bar charge from our 5/12-1/20 Anthem cruise. The person that I spoke to was very pleasant, said that the charge would be removed and the matter would be reported to their supervisor. The charge was removed by Wed.

During the call I mentioned that this was the second Anthem cruise that I had the same post cruise mini bar charge and that I was not pleased. I also mentioned the several long threads on cruise critic about this and how many people consider it a scam.

I included it in the post cruise survey and the survey that I was sent as a follow up to my call to RCI's post cruise customer service. Yesterday, I sent an email to Mr. Bayley. I received a response from his office today saying that they will get back to me about the matter.

Well done to you.

Lets hope it gets sorted for good and they take away the 2 big bottles of water that seem to be the problem for everyone.

Well done to you.

Lets hope it gets sorted for good and they take away the 2 big bottles of water that seem to be the problem for everyone.

Gosh yes...I hope they listen!! :o

To those that want that (yuck) water, they can order it, along with the rest of the now missing mini bar stock. I am guessing 90% of us don't want it, don't like it, won't pay for it, and find the bottles are just in the way.....not to mention having to deal with the scam when they charge you AFTER your final bill and you leave the ship. :mad:

Are you listening RCI???

Well done to you.

Hi,

Think that's an excellent idea - just get rid of the water. RC will also save the man hours of having someone check each cabin too.

See that we just got $11.68 charge reversed for our cabin. Didn't take long but again, it's taking our time to have to make that call.

NJ

Hi,

Think that's an excellent idea - just get rid of the water. RC will also save the man hours of having someone check each cabin too. ...

But RC would lose thousands of dollars in "mistaken" charges! Those man hours are making them a profit.

But RC would lose thousands of dollars in "mistaken" charges! Those man hours are making them a profit.

Good point Bob. Sounds like such a simple solution doesn't it. But the reality is that RC must be doing this for a reason. Even tho RC reverses the charge, they've had our money for at least a week in their bank. With the thousands(?) of people they do this to, this nickel & dime stuff does add up for them.

NJ

Good point Bob. Sounds like such a simple solution doesn't it. But the reality is that RC must be doing this for a reason. Even tho RC reverses the charge, they've had our money for at least a week in their bank. With the thousands(?) of people they do this to, this nickel & dime stuff does add up for them.

NJ

Just a gut feel, but I suspect that many people don't call to get the charges refunded. They either don't notice the erroneous charge, or feel it's not worth their time to spend on the phone.

Just a gut feel, but I suspect that many people don't call to get the charges refunded. They either don't notice the erroneous charge, or feel it's not worth their time to spend on the phone.

I suspect you're right. Some people probably can't be bothered. I only found the charge coz I always check credit cards charges after a cruise/trip.

It's a papercut for sure.

NJ

That was my attitude when i had to ring 0844 from UK and the phone call sometimes cost more than the overcharge.

Thanks to you Bob for supplying a 0800 free phone number for the UK so in future i will ring RC if they overcharge me.

if they overcharge me.

Sigh...and unfortunately, until they stop this scam...you probably will see another charge.

Leaving Monday, and keeping my account as "cash". Have never done that before, will see if that works.

Leaving Monday, and keeping my account as "cash". Have never done that before, will see if that works.

We did that and it was perfectly fine, just needed to bring more cash on-board. If you don't want to do that you can pre-purchase OBC if you have a rough idea of how much you would be spending.

Can you have a cash account and at the end of the cruise pay the whole balance with a credit card or that will be the same as having the card registered since the begining of the cruise? Can they charge you after you disembark on that card no matter it was not registered to your reservation?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Can you have a cash account and at the end of the cruise pay the whole balance with a credit card or that will be the same as having the card registered since the begining of the cruise? Can they charge you after you disembark on that card no matter it was not registered to your reservation?

Yes, you can pay off your cash account with a charge card. I don't recall anyone reporting seeing extra charges after they did this.

Sigh...and unfortunately, until they stop this scam...you probably will see another charge.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and no water bill.

But think how they much more profit they would have if they stopped supplying the water and still kept charging for it.:rolleyes:

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and no water bill.

Thanks! Short anniversary cruise on MJ. :hearteyes:

No OBC on this one, and keeping sea pass account as cash. Will be different for sure.

It must frustrate the water billers when we do that. :D

But think how they much more profit they would have if they stopped supplying the water and still kept charging for it.:rolleyes:

You're right, I had not considered that. :D

Maybe not that much more. I can't imagine very many people are drinking those $6 bottles of water, so its the same 2 skanky bottles, week after week, cruise after cruise, year after year in each cabin. I bet if some of our more frequent cruising members that stay in the same cabin put their initials on the bottom of the bottle with a Sharpie they would find the same bottle when they sailed the same cabin months later. In the interim, RCL collected $6 for that same bottle 10-20 times.

They probably "sell" hundreds of thousands of bottles a year, yet only reorder a couple cases every few months from the wholesaler.

They already make us request ice in the stateroom, how much of a stretch would it be to have us request water as well? Ever since our last cruise I keep wondering about all the mischarges I've had and never realized it.

Because ice is free and water is not.

Maybe not that much more. I can't imagine very many people are drinking those $6 bottles of water, so its the same 2 skanky bottles, week after week, cruise after cruise, year after year in each cabin. I bet if some of our more frequent cruising members that stay in the same cabin put their initials on the bottom of the bottle with a Sharpie they would find the same bottle when they sailed the same cabin months later. In the interim, RCL collected $6 for that same bottle 10-20 times.

That's a disturbing thought but you're probably right. :(

Yes, you can pay off your cash account with a charge card. I don't recall anyone reporting seeing extra charges after they did this.

Not sure if anyone else has had this experience. On our last cruise in May, we had a cash account, did not change to credit card till two days before disembarking.

Our final bill on board showed no charges but when we checked credit card at home, there was the $11.68 for water.

NJ

Not sure if anyone else has had this experience. On our last cruise in May, we had a cash account, did not change to credit card till two days before disembarking.

Our final bill on board showed no charges but when we checked credit card at home, there was the $11.68 for water.

NJ

If I understand correctly, you changed to a credit card account before the end of the cruise. I think (hope) this is different than paying off a cash account with a credit card.

If I understand correctly, you changed to a credit card account before the end of the cruise. I think (hope) this is different than paying off a cash account with a credit card.

Yes, you're right. We switched to credit card before end of cruise so we wouldn't have to line up to pay on last day. But they still got us!!

Cheers,

NJ