Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

This has happened to us on several different ships. We did not use the mini bar. We ignored the first few but now realize RCI is probably making a good amount of money on the many thousands of people that are receiving erroneous charges of maybe $11 or so who never used the minibar. We won't pay it any longer and it's just a fraudulent way of increasing revenue. It's well known and nothing has been done about it.

It's odd how often it happens and how randomly it happens. Been on Anthem twice without any extra charge. 28 days out from the next trip. Let's see if third time is the charm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sailed the Majesty recently and there were 2 bottles of Evian on the desk next to my list of Gold Member discounts, so I assumed the water was free. HA!....I was charged a mini-bar fee of $4 a bottle when I got home. These rooms were so small there was no fridge or mini bar. It wasn't that much money so I didn't complain but it was very deceiving.

I didn't even mind paying for it, just felt it was deceiving, Hotels will leave a notice that there's a charge for the water

This may be a silly question but can you request your mini bar be emptied as soon as you get on board?

Just thinking of ways to avoid this happening to anyone else.

The minibar is virtually empty now, all they leave are two bottles of water. I suspect it won't stop the "mistaken" charges.

Is this something that's only happening on Anthem? I haven't seen it come up on any of my other bills (Radiance, Ovation, Harmony). Going on Anthem 6/3--guess I'll have to check carefully when I get home from that one!!

Is this something that's only happening on Anthem? I haven't seen it come up on any of my other bills (Radiance, Ovation, Harmony). Going on Anthem 6/3--guess I'll have to check carefully when I get home from that one!!

I just got hit with $12.37 on Majesty

Strange how these bogus charges always come AFTER you leave the ship....never before the last night bill

review. :rolleyes: :o

Come on RCI....quit with this practice already. You made a good step in the right direction to remove the rest of the

mini bar selections, which now have to be ordered if wanted, now take those bottles of water out also. :mad:

Strange how these bogus charges always come AFTER you leave the ship....never before the last night bill

review. :rolleyes: :o

Come on RCI....quit with this practice already. You made a good step in the right direction to remove the rest of the

mini bar selections, which now have to be ordered if wanted, now take those bottles of water out also. :mad:

Great idea.

I wonder if you take the 2 bottles down to GS on first day and tell them they are not required if you would get charged for them.

I know this has been reported in the past. this is to let you know the practice is still occuring. My new bill was e-mailed to me while we were still driving home and low and behold, there is the Mini Bar charge. We didn't use the Mini bar at all.

I called Royal as soon as we got home and was on hold for over 20 minutes, only to be told they couldn't do anything because the bill was not showing up there yet. To call back after next Wednesday.

This is really a shame that a good cruise would have to end with this black mark. Knowing this has happened in the past to many on cruise critic and it has been reported to Royal long time back, I can't buy it that this is a bug in the system. It happens way to often, and for too long already.

Sad

From the UK we have to call a 0844 number which costs a minimum of $5 and often a lot more.RC will refund the mini bar charge but not the call charges and we have been hit for $6 several times so i would welcome any ideas to stop this occuring.

Hard to believe this is a "system issue" as RCI suggests. More likely charges inputted by ships crew after disembarkation. Very discouraging....

It has happened to us 3 times on RC and twice on P&O so one can draw their own conclusions!!!

Great idea.

I wonder if you take the 2 bottles down to GS on first day and tell them they are not required if you would get charged for them.

On my last cruise, I left the two untouched bottles of water in the fridge...with a nice little note that read:

"Please note these bottles are still here, not needed, not wanted. Don't even THINK about mysterious charges

showing up on my sea pass bill AFTER I leave the ship"

Not sure if that worked, but I did not get a bogus charge on my Visa bill. ;)

On my last cruise, I left the two untouched bottles of water in the fridge...with a nice little note that read:

"Please note these bottles are still here, not needed, not wanted. Don't even THINK about mysterious charges

showing up on my sea pass bill AFTER I leave the ship"

Not sure if that worked, but I did not get a bogus charge on my Visa bill. ;)

Great idea and one i will try on our next cruise.

I suspect it is crew members theft because when you ring RC there is no questions asked they just say they will refund the charge.

Great idea.

That would make it more likely you'd be charged. After you leave the ship the guy restocks the 2 bottles of water would see they are missing, replace and your card would be charged. Fortunate here, 30+ cruises last 5 yrs and only time charged was when I did take the water on the last day...

Interesting, I was on a back to back in March an Adventure of the Seas and a $12.36 mini bar charge was added to bill both weeks. Really annoying since mini bar is empty. Royal has a problem that needs to be solved! Did call and it was removed but left me with a bad feeling!

Hard to believe this is a "system issue" as RCI suggests. More likely charges inputted by ships crew after disembarkation. Very discouraging....

Yep I agree with you on this

I just got off the allure and was charged twice for water at the gangplank $15.36 for 4 bottles of water that they had marked $2. Went to guest services and they said the bottles of Evian were 3.25, to which I informed them that they didn't serve Evian, it was another brand, smaller bottle. They took the 15.36 X2 off and charged me the $8 they were supposed too. Then today a pool towel showed up on my bill at checkout, back down to guest services I went haha.

Thanks for these reports. We are on Anthem in July and will be on the lookout for bogus mini bar charges.

I've also had this happen. I go to the desk and tell them I want everything removed from the minibar when I arrive on board that way it's noted there was nothing in there that never had a problem since

From the UK we have to call a 0844 number which costs a minimum of $5 and often a lot more.RC will refund the mini bar charge but not the call charges and we have been hit for $6 several times so i would welcome any ideas to stop this occuring.

Find a toll free number or use a cash account.

I was on the same sailing, the minibar was totally empty when we boarded, there were 2 1-liter bottles of evian on the counter with a note on them about being able to purchase them as well as a card with items that you can purchase to put into the minibar.

I did not receive any invoice for items "taken" from the minibar.

Oh, and by the way, this "cooler" was a lot better than most, it was actually more like an real refrigerator !!!

Steve

I was on the same sailing, the minibar was totally empty when we boarded, there were 2 1-liter bottles of evian on the counter with a note on them about being able to purchase them as well as a card with items that you can purchase to put into the minibar.

I did not receive any invoice for items "taken" from the minibar.

Oh, and by the way, this "cooler" was a lot better than most, it was actually more like an real refrigerator !!!

Steve

If you used a charge card to settle your account check to see the amount actually charged to your card. On my February Jewel cruise my card was charged $12.xx more than my final bill stated. Called and yep was a mini bar charge. Never got a separate bill. We had actually brought some water onboard with us and left a few next to ones they had left. Definitely did not drink theirs.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk