Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

...Just to note that we have not been charged for any mini bar items on any of our cruises.
I HAVE been the victim of these fraudulent charges. I originally thought it was merely a mistake, which can happen in any business. I have no information that this fraud was started by upper management, but they have to now be aware of it, and seem to be doing nothing to stop it. RCCL management - yes I am escalating this above RCI - needs to clean this up or THEY will be implicated. They need to read about the recent Wells Fargo fiasco. IMO either clean this up or be dragged into the mess themselves; otherwise they personally could face fines or maybe prison.

I HAVE been the victim of these fraudulent charges. I originally thought it was merely a mistake, which can happen in any business. I have no information that this fraud was started by upper management, but they have to now be aware of it, and seem to be doing nothing to stop it. RCCL management - yes I am escalating this above RCI - needs to clean this up or THEY will be implicated. They need to read about the recent Wells Fargo fiasco. IMO either clean this up or be dragged into the mess themselves; otherwise they personally could face fines or maybe prison.

I agree with you, I was simply pointing out that they are not charging everyone. From reading many posts it does seem to be more prevalent on certain ships, almost like it is the F&B manager or the HD who is trying to bolster their bottom line.

They need to read about the recent Wells Fargo fiasco. IMO either clean this up or be dragged into the mess themselves; otherwise they personally could face fines or maybe prison.

Interesting analogy.

I'm sure someone at Wells Fargo said to themselves "What's a few fake accounts - who'll notice? Who'll care?"

What's a few charges for bottled water - who'll notice, who'll care?

I'm not one for tinfoil hats, but this has been going on for too long, across too many ships. They can't be targeting Cruise Critic members only (or CAN they, pauses to adjust tinfoil hat). We are a tiny % of their cruisers, you have to think this is happening for none cruise critic members too. The numbers are not chump change if true.

I doubt there are active message boards debating the merits of opening bank accounts in shorts or long pants, so the Wells Fargo victims could never find each other on their own. Happy this thread got started and is bringing attention to this matter.

Interesting analogy.

I'm sure someone at Wells Fargo said to themselves "What's a few fake accounts - who'll notice? Who'll care?"

What's a few charges for bottled water - who'll notice, who'll care?

I'm not one for tinfoil hats, but this has been going on for too long, across too many ships. They can't be targeting Cruise Critic members only (or CAN they, pauses to adjust tinfoil hat). We are a tiny % of their cruisers, you have to think this is happening for none cruise critic members too. The numbers are not chump change if true.

I doubt there are active message boards debating the merits of opening bank accounts in shorts or long pants, so the Wells Fargo victims could never find each other on their own. Happy this thread got started and is bringing attention to this matter.

That the point I have been trying to make. If everyone would contact the state of Florida it would get more attention. All of us talking about here is not going to solve the problem. It is pure and simple theft. Figure we may be at the most 1% of passangers

Don't just think about a BBB complaint; file also with the FL Attorney General. Unless RCCL upper management is totally stupid (and I don't think they are), there is no way that they are unaware of this. Months ago I thought this was sloppy management and unacceptable. I now think it is outright FRAUD.

To RCCL: If you are reading this (and you should be), I'd be more than happy to hear your side of the story.

To traveler Tom: it is interesting to note that when I called RCCL to have my visa card reimbursed for water I didn't drink, the nice gentleman on the other end of the phone told me that he spent approximately 60% of his time refunding money for water charges after people left the ship. Certainly, RCCL knows about these charges and seems to do nothing about them.

..., almost like it is the F&B manager or the HD who is trying to bolster their bottom line.
I think that is a good guess. The NYTimes had an article this week on a report commissioned by the WellsFargo Board on their scandal. I will quote a small portion:

The warning signs were glaring and could be traced back at least to 2004, the investigators said. Ms. Tolstedt, who ran the national network of Wells Fargo branches, set up ruthless sales goals that even she acknowledged were unreachable. Mr. Stumpf, who had a long and trusting relationship with Ms. Tolstedt, left her on her own to run her department...

Change the dates and names and I could easily imagine this being written about RCI. The article pointed out that the Board has clawed back $69 million from Stumpf and $67 million from Tolstedt. If I was in RCI's upper management I'd be worrying about my retirement funds if I did nohing - and nothing seems to be what they are doing.

I had this happen on Freedom two months ago. I was charged $12.31 extra. I used the complaint form on the website, got a response back two days later saying it was an error on their end and it would be refunded. About three days later the refund processed. Told everyone else in my group to check theirs, and everyone else was okay

I haveven filed a complaint with the FL dept 9f Consumers Affairs. I forwarded all 200 post to them

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Contact-Us/File-a-Complaint

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD1050 CARIBBEAN WAY, MIAMI, FL 33132-2028

Phone 305-982-2398Complaints 45PrintDBA/Other Names

Royal Caribbean International

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD

I think you did very well. Lets hope that Royal will answer, because I do believe it is a serious company and reputation is very important for its business.

Just got of the phone with RCCI after I noticed an extra $7.27 on my credit card bill.

Turned out it was for the 2 coffee's we got from Cafe Lattetudes on disembarkation morning. After explaining we had the Deluxe package and I was not asked to sign a receipt for the two drinks, the nice lady said "as a gesture of goodwill" she will refund the charge.

Another $7.27 towards my December cruise on Radiance.

Just got of the phone with RCCI after I noticed an extra $7.27 on my credit card bill.

Turned out it was for the 2 coffee's we got from Cafe Lattetudes on disembarkation morning. After explaining we had the Deluxe package and I was not asked to sign a receipt for the two drinks, the nice lady said "as a gesture of goodwill" she will refund the charge.

Another $7.27 towards my December cruise on Radiance.

"A gesture of goodwill" :D

Despite having the package

Unbelievable

• 3 weeks later...

Update on complaint. Go Royal answer today ." Since I did not in cure the charge based 9n c9mments of others they see no problem they gave a canned response about their other a out water. So they are going to continue steal from those that do not check their bill post cruise. So Beware

As long as they refund those that complain about they do not see a problem

How about for those who use a foreign card and incur a transaction fee - even when the charge is reversed, you still end up paying something to the credit card company.

How about because it's theft in the first place!

I had the same thing happen, we asked our cabin steward to remove the water, which he did. We got our final bill which was correct however even that was not handled in the manner we requested, we asked for it to be charged in dollars to our credit card company to do the conversion, this did not happen.

Then my husband was emailed a copy of our bill even though it was my credit card, where they had put through another charge of $11.98, I have now emailed about this and I got a standard letter back saying they will credit this, however again we have lost out on conversion and they are refunded us more in sterling than they charged. These are all very small amounts of money but if this is happening all the time it makes you wonder if it is a scam.

We have also been charged twice for the same excursion, £140 which again I have had to chase for, despite assurances this would happen automatically, the excursion wasn't worth £140 yet alone £280!!!!!!

This happened on a Independance of the seas, not a ship we would rush back to, or at least not until she has had a major maintenance overhaul.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That was point here

I have been trying to make her and with the state if FL. As long as they give it no problem.

That thinking fails in a couple of ways.

1. Should have never been taken to start with.

2. Since it was taken ( Thief)

3. Since they give it back it now becomes a short term loan. So if it is a support term loan then there is an expected return on investment. Since they are a large company, they should get prime interest rate currently 4%. Adds to that any foreign transaction fees that were charged . Cost x .04 x# of days + foreign fees if charged. Now how much is your time? How much time did you spend on the phone with them.

At was on the cruise planner last night. Dinning options were open. Iwent we booked the cruise did mytime dinning. I tried to set the time could not had to call this morning

Why bring that up here because it is just one more thing that is leading to me not give them anymore of m money