Mini Bar Charges Post Cruise

I wonder if the thieves (or incompetents) coded something into the system that says automatically charge for the 2 bottles of water unless the attendant specifically records the 2 bottles were not consumed, and nobody told the attendants they have to record explicitly that the 2 bottles were not consumed.

More reports of the fraudulent charges in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2453377&page=2

There's more mini bar charges on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2403541&page=2

I see the link isn't working for the thread named :

Has anyone received a revised final bill by email?

I jusst posted on another thread that I think this might be a scam with the additional crew members that come in to clean the cabins on turnaround day. But, it seems to be widespread across the fleet. Now, I'm wondering if the staff that take care of the mini-fridge stocking get some sort of percentage on any beverage they stock, so they just charge for the remaining bottles and get the "stocking fee" on both ends of a cruise.

It's not happening to everyone: we've never had it happen. But, there's always a first time for everything.

If I ever have to call Post-Cruise Customer Care, I'll tell them if the charge isn't reversed in 3 working days, I will call my bank, tell them it's a faudulent charge, and have my card replaced. I think if this is communicated to the banks involved, there might be "less" of a probelm with it happening????

Chiming in to report this just happened to us on Jewel of the Seas 2/5/17. $12.82 in mini bar charges appeared after our final statement. After charges went from pending to billed to my credit card I called and got it reversed. Even though it was handled quickly I'm annoyed I had to spend any time fixing it. And it's disheartening to think of how many others may have been charged without noticing it.

Please do not assume that Bottlegate is the fault of the hardworking and honest staff. It seems to be widespread and systemic. Perhaps send complaints to the Florida Attorney General since RCI has its HQ there.

I don't think it's staff on board. Agree that it seems widespread and systemic after reading all these reports.

Please do not assume that Bottlegate is the fault of the hardworking and honest staff. It seems to be widespread and systemic. Perhaps send complaints to the Florida Attorney General since RCI has its HQ there.

Well, somewhere in RCCL's vast corporation someone isn't hardworking and honest, because somebody, somewhere did something to make this all happen. Maybe no individual crew members on board the ships, but if it's a system glitch, somebody coded that "glitch". Reminds me of the movie The Office.............

if it's a system glitch, somebody coded that "glitch".

The nature of a glitch is that usually they are put in inadvertently, as a side effect to something not done right.

I set up a website for tracking these occurrences - maybe it will be useful down the road - if you feel it would help please contribute!

http://rclminibarcharge.weebly.com

I am waiting to get off the Liberty now, and got my final bill this morning. I noticed the charges are only through day 6, so last night's charges aren't showing. I wonder if we are mistaknly thinking the "semi" final bill is the "final" final bill?

RCI could fix this instantly by not putting the water in the cabins. Add the water to the existing order form for Cokes,etc, where you have to opt-in to purchase.

At the beginning I thought this was just more RCI IT incompetence, but IMO this has progressed to fraud. Even if it was originally an IT error, surely management ought to have become aware over intervening months. If they are aware, and make no move to fix this flow of ill-gotten money, then they are guilty of fraud. I guess Michael B makes enough money that he can afford a good lawyer; he might need one.

RCI could fix this instantly by not putting the water in the cabins. Add the water to the existing order form for Cokes,etc, where you have to opt-in to purchase.

At the beginning I thought this was just more RCI IT incompetence, but IMO this has progressed to fraud. Even if it was originally an IT error, surely management ought to have become aware over intervening months. If they are aware, and make no move to fix this flow of ill-gotten money, then they are guilty of fraud. I guess Michael B makes enough money that he can afford a good lawyer; he might need one.

With the continued inaction and rectification, it seems that it is pointing in that direction.

I am waiting to get off the Liberty now, and got my final bill this morning. I noticed the charges are only through day 6, so last night's charges aren't showing. I wonder if we are mistaknly thinking the "semi" final bill is the "final" final bill?

The final bill can be the one that shows up via email upon returning home. Our "final" bill on two Harmony cruises were accurate....until the email with one bill that added the exact value of 6 cans of pop + grat and the other one with 2 bottles of water +grat.

When I called, RCI indicated they were well aware of this issue.

The final bill can be the one that shows up via email upon returning home. Our "final" bill on two Harmony cruises were accurate....until the email with one bill that added the exact value of 6 cans of pop + grat and the other one with 2 bottles of water +grat.

When I called, RCI indicated they were well aware of this issue.

Did they mention if they have any plans to correct the issue that they are well aware of?

Just got off Anthem yesterday and recd the emailed statement last night. It too had the mini bar charge added.

I called the support number and they said they do not yet have a copy of the bill but should by Wed and will credit it back. But, I need to call them again then.

How can they send me the bill but not have a copy themselves? Electrons are not exclusive...they should have it the same time if not before I do!

I just got home today (Feb 25th) from my Indy cruise, and already have noticed the $12 charge for water that I never touched. Wow that was fast, I just got in the door, had a drink, and decided to check my e-mail. I am going to call Crown and Anchor tomorrow to have this taken off my account! They really need to correct this problem!

I just got home today (Feb 25th) from my Indy cruise, and already have noticed the $12 charge for water that I never touched. Wow that was fast, I just got in the door, had a drink, and decided to check my e-mail. I am going to call Crown and Anchor tomorrow to have this taken off my account! They really need to correct this problem!

How did you get an email statement? Did you have to request it? We were on the Feb 16 cruise on Indy and the charges haven't showed up on my credit card yet. I haven't gotten any emails from Royal Caribbean except for the survey.

How did you get an email statement? Did you have to request it? We were on the Feb 16 cruise on Indy and the charges haven't showed up on my credit card yet. I haven't gotten any emails from Royal Caribbean except for the survey.

They send our statement automatically the day after we disembarked, which was Feb 16th on the BR- we did not request one

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Anthem 3/5/17, ship copy of statement was correct when we departed. Emailed statement shows a $24+ min bar charge. We had our fridge emptied on the first day so we could put my husbands insulin in. Two large bottles of water were on the counter and still in the exact same place when we left. Plan on calling them out on this tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app