OH NO! Another Epic Trip Report w/pics

Oakman58

We didn’t do the Ice Bar. I don’t remember for sure what the charge was to get into the Ice Bar but I think it was either $20 or $24.95 per person. The price included two free drinks but since we already had the UBP the cost would have been more like a cover charge. The Ice Bar didn’t seem to be too popular on our cruise and I think the UBP might have something to do with that. The rack with the parkas always seemed to be full when we walked passed.

Well that makes sense..We also have the UBP. The girls and I may spend the $20 to go once we are on board we can discuss it. I guess if we want to see it and experience it we will buck up! LOL I do have an OBC too...I really want to try Cagney steakhouse. I have read good things so I was saving my OBC for that.

Thank you

Well that makes sense..We also have the UBP. The girls and I may spend the $20 to go once we are on board we can discuss it. I guess if we want to see it and experience it we will buck up! LOL I do have an OBC too...I really want to try Cagney steakhouse. I have read good things so I was saving my OBC for that.

Thank you

If you really want to go to Cagney's, you should book now. It's now an a la carte restaurant, so you don't get charged when you make the reservations (because they don't know what you'll be buying). You'll pay when you are on the ship, so you'll be able to use your OBC.

If you really want to go to Cagney's, you should book now. It's now an a la carte restaurant, so you don't get charged when you make the reservations (because they don't know what you'll be buying). You'll pay when you are on the ship, so you'll be able to use your OBC.

YAY Thank you so much! I will go log in now and try and book it!

Michelle

Did you think there was comedy because it was in the Headliners Comedy Club? Just curious...

I've done Epic twice now and Howl At The Moon is by far my favorite part of the cruise!!!

EMBARKATION DAY CONTINUED

Muster was at 3:30 PM and our station was in the theater, B5 if I remember correctly. We headed down early to avoid the mad rush for the elevators when the call to muster was sounded.

2ypn7kn.jpg

When muster ended we exited on deck 5 and once again, getting an elevator was a nightmare. As I remember we took the stairs up to deck 6 and into O’Sheehan’s for a drink while we waited for the other 4000 people to get where they wanted via the elevators.

In hindsight, I think it would have been smarter to skip the muster drill on the first day and attend the mandatory muster the next day. If I ever cruise a mega-ship again I’ll do exactly that.

Getting elevators on this sold out cruise was a major aggravation for me. Embarkation day and debarkation day were ridiculous. Also, the first two days at sea we experienced light rain and extremely strong winds and some of the upper decks were closed as were the pools, slides, and other water features because of the winds. So with most passengers inside, the elevators were slow and crowded. There were many times that even though the elevator stopped at your floor, there wasn’t any room for more passengers. There were always a lot of people using the stairs to get between decks on this cruise.

We were back in our cabin and sitting on our balcony in time for the sail away. From our balcony we had a view of the three other ships in port, the Disney Fantasy, the Carnival Magic, and the Carnival Sunshine. The Carnival Magic was the first ship to leave port and we followed soon after.

hryphs.jpg

The sun was low in the sky and the skies were partly cloudy as we departed the pier. The wind was really starting to pick up as we left Port Canaveral.

142a1ih.jpg

Both the Sheriff’s Department and the Coast Guard followed our ship out to the ocean. Probably looking for my brother-in-law, the smuggler.

2ywza6t.jpg

2rykbj7.jpg

As planned, we met up with J & M a pre-dinner drink at O’Sheehan’s and then went to dinner at the complimentary Taste Restaurant. We had no trouble getting seated at Taste. Even though this was a sold out cruise we only had two occasions when we had to wait to be seated for dinner and as I remember the wait was less than 10 minutes both times. I ordered a shrimp pasta dish that night that was quite good. Overall I thought the food was good on the Epic but not great. In my opinion, the food we had on the Jade in January was much better. Sorry, no food pictures in this report.

At 9 PM the four of us went to Howl at the Moon Dueling Pianos in the Headliners Comedy Club. I was looking forward to this since I’ve been to other land based dueling piano bars and they are so much fun. This was a real disappointment for me. Instead of two very funny people interacting with the audience and each other, it was just two people alternately playing tunes that had been requested by the audience. Perhaps it was just an off night for them because they weren’t funny but they were very good piano players. After listening and waiting 45 minutes for some comedy we left the club and called it a night.

2qlwy2x.jpg

As we walked back to our cabin we could feel the motion of the ship going side to side but it wasn’t all that bad.

I just got Cagney's booked for 4 of us! Thanks for the info although it was not listed in my planner?? So I called and they booked it for me.

I've read some great reviews of the Epic but this is by far my favourite. I've giggled all the way through and appreciate the information equally as much as the humour. Your pictorials were great too. Can't wait! 9 wks tomora!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you think there was comedy because it was in the Headliners Comedy Club? Just curious...

I've done Epic twice now and Howl At The Moon is by far my favorite part of the cruise!!!

Hmmm, an interesting first post from you but I'll answer it anyway.

No, I thought it would be comedy because the land-based dueling piano bars I’ve been to ranged from hilarious to insanely funny. They also actually dueled, one would stop the other in the middle of a tune and tell him/her how crappy they were and take over the song. It also included lots of banter with the audience and a lot of jokes.

The night we went to Howl at the Moon it was just two piano players singing and playing tunes requested by the audience. The show was hardly what I call dueling pianos. Perhaps the show was better later in the evening but I wasn’t impressed.

It probably depends on who the players are too... my first time was Steve, Steve and Rhonda and they were awesome... jokes, sing along and all... one of them even sang that n th voice of Kermit th Frog. The later shows are probably better because people are more intoxicated and all... but we would stay from beginning to end for every show.

I loved your review as well. I've been on Epic twice now... an east and west Caribbean cruise from Miami. I def agree with a lot of your comments..

Quick note, I think the reason the epic theatre is smaller is because they would do each of the two shows three nights a piece (at least on my cruises). So each show was performed six times (twice a night) to accommodate all the passengers...

Hmmm, an interesting first post from you but I'll answer it anyway.

No, I thought it would be comedy because the land-based dueling piano bars I’ve been to ranged from hilarious to insanely funny. They also actually dueled, one would stop the other in the middle of a tune and tell him/her how crappy they were and take over the song. It also included lots of banter with the audience and a lot of jokes.

The night we went to Howl at the Moon it was just two piano players singing and playing tunes requested by the audience. The show was hardly what I call dueling pianos. Perhaps the show was better later in the evening but I wasn’t impressed.

Just finished reading your trip report for the 3rd time! This time I took notes as we are on the Epic at the end of February this year. Your report was just as entertaining and informative the 3rd time through as it was the 1st! Great read and thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us!

LOL! Best review ever, thank you!!! :)

Now I know where to find the comfy lounge chairs and know to avoid the deck above it. lol

I also want to try a bushwacker, looks so good!

If you're ever in Gulf Shores, AL go to Tacky Jack's restaurant and order a bushwacker. They add some ice cream and then top the drink with an extra shot of 151 rum.

Thanks for the nice comment about my report.

Loved the review, thanks so much for sharing the adventure! Like you, I prefer the jewel class size ship, but lots of things to do on the mega ships. Still laughing about the 19th deck:)

Just finished reading your trip report for the 3rd time! This time I took notes as we are on the Epic at the end of February this year. Your report was just as entertaining and informative the 3rd time through as it was the 1st! Great read and thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us!

Thank you both for the compliment.

I do have a few more tips to pass along.

Pack an extension cord to charge up any electronic devices you bring on your trip.

In the medicine chest there is an outlet that is labeled for shavers only. If it can be used it for anything else I don’t know. It looked as though it could take an American 110v two prong plug or a European 220v two prong plug.

2hi9jxy.jpg

If your feet hang off the end of the bed and it bothers you then pull the bed away from the headboard a bit.

The telephone in your cabin has a large touch screen. The screen is a good night light but some folks think it’s too bright. You can put that screen to sleep by tapping the light bulb image in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

b4hqol.jpg

For first time cruisers; when you walk into your cabin there is a slot on the wall to put your key card in so the lights in the room will work. If you’re like me it’s easy to forget to take that key card out when you leave and the door locks behind you. Any card will work in that slot so I used an old membership card from an RV club I belong to.

Edited by Oakman58

If you're ever in Gulf Shores, AL go to Tacky Jack's restaurant and order a bushwacker. They add some ice cream and then top the drink with an extra shot of 151 rum.

Thanks for the nice comment about my report.

I second the bushwacker's at Tacky Jack's. We used to go there every weekend in the late 90's and those bushwacker's are to die for!

Well no Deck 19 for my DH. The last time on the Epic there was a sign that said "swimsuit or clothing optional" by the stairs leading up from Posh area. Since the DH will not be far from the Posh bar area I think I am safe from him seeing "a lady".

Loved all of the review. By the way did you see my avatar?

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

OMG! I really enjoyed your review. We are on the Epic for a Transatlantic in April and look forward to seeing what you saw.

On another NCL ship, we saw the sign for the "clothing optional" deck. Hubby said he was going to check it out. I told him I did not care, BUT, if he was going up there, to be fair, he needed to drop his swim suit at the top of the stairs. He never went.

Lynda

OMG! I really enjoyed your review. We are on the Epic for a Transatlantic in April and look forward to seeing what you saw.

On another NCL ship, we saw the sign for the "clothing optional" deck. Hubby said he was going to check it out. I told him I did not care, BUT, if he was going up there, to be fair, he needed to drop his swim suit at the top of the stairs. He never went.

Lynda

I hope you have a great Transatlantic cruise Lynda. I got quite a chuckle about your husband not going up to the “au natural” deck.

Well no Deck 19 for my DH. The last time on the Epic there was a sign that said "swimsuit or clothing optional" by the stairs leading up from Posh area. Since the DH will not be far from the Posh bar area I think I am safe from him seeing "a lady".

Loved all of the review. By the way did you see my avatar?

You had me scrambling to look through my pictures to see if I missed a warning sign Linda. I finally found the one and only picture I took of the stairs leading up to the infamous deck 19. Nope, not even a hint the views up there might be adult rated. NCL should at least put up a sign warning old men with high blood pressure or a heart condition not to go up those stairs.

qzosc5.jpg

Love the avatar.

Edited by Oakman58

You had me scrambling to look through my pictures to see if I missed a warning sign Linda. I finally found the one and only picture I took of the stairs leading up to the infamous deck 19. Nope, not even a hint the views up there might be adult rated.

The opaque glass or panels on the rails is the clue.

Edited by triptolemus

For first time cruisers; when you walk into your cabin there is a slot on the wall to put your key card in so the lights in the room will work. If you’re like me it’s easy to forget to take that key card out when you leave and the door locks behind you. Any card will work in that slot so I used an old membership card from an RV club I belong to.

Okay, I have to ask. Whatever made you try a different card in the slot? It's a great idea (I forget too), but I never would have thought to try another card.

You had me scrambling to look through my pictures to see if I missed a warning sign Linda. I finally found the one and only picture I took of the stairs leading up to the infamous deck 19. Nope, not even a hint the views up there might be adult rated. NCL should at least put up a sign warning old men with high blood pressure or a heart condition not to go up those stairs.

qzosc5.jpg

Love the avatar.

The avatar is from our trip to the Caymens - I enjoyed stingrays while DH did bike ride and went to hell (LOL) YIkes no sign don't worry I will keep an eye on DH since there is no sign.;)

I second the bushwacker's at Tacky Jack's. We used to go there every weekend in the late 90's and those bushwacker's are to die for!

Sounds amazing!! Yum!

Lynda

Sounds fair to me, lol!

Okay, I have to ask. Whatever made you try a different card in the slot? It's a great idea (I forget too), but I never would have thought to try another card.

To be honest I don't remember where we picked up that trick. I'm guessing we read it as a tip on a forum many years ago.