Book ahead for Select Dining?

alsa

Advice needed!

I watched a You Tube video where people couldn't get a table in Select dining on the Oasis of Seas without pre-booking prior to cruise.

I am hoping this is not the case on Celebrity Reflection?

We travelled on the Eclipse in 2013 and were able to walk up each night and after a couple of nights the waiter saved our table which was perfect!

I was just worried in case things have changed since 2013.

Thanks x :)

Advice needed!

I watched a You Tube video where people couldn't get a table in Select dining on the Oasis of Seas without pre-booking prior to cruise.

We travelled on the Eclipse in 2013 and were able to walk up each night and after a couple of nights the waiter saved our table which was perfect!

Can you forward the link for the video?

Advice needed!

You can make a reservation in advance if you like, but to us that defeats the whole purpose of choosing Select dining, the freedom to go eat whenever we get hungry each night without the regimentation of needing to show up in the dining room at a scheduled time.

We also like the flexibility of getting a private table for two some nights, but joining others at a larger table on other nights, as the mood strikes us.

Some days we are ready for dinner early, while other days we have afternoon snacks, or get involved in doing something else and do not want to eat dinner until later.

Usually they seat us right away in Select if we come early or late, but if we arrive at peak times, we sometimes need to wait.

Other times we have arrived between 7 and 8 to find that there was no line at all, and we were seated immediately.

For us, it is not a problem as we are quite flexible. If there is a wait, they give us a beeper, we go to a nearby lounge, get a drink, and pass the time watching the entertainment until a table is ready for us.

It is rather like going to a restaurant on land without a reservation, where you may be seated immediately, or may need to wait.

But if we travel with a family member who needs to eat dinner at the same time every night, then we book traditional dining.

When we first started sailing on the Eclipse a few years back, we never pre-booked Select and could get a table for 2 or 4 with no wait even at the busy times. Then on later cruises we started to notice some waits so began reserving on the cruise planner which led to no waits whilst some who had not reserved were being asked to share tables, turned away with a buzzer or as on our May cruise were told there were no tables for 2 available all evening as they were all reserved and they had to share.

In September we pre-reserved and even then had to wait some evenings. It does seem the flexibility to just turn up and be seated is being reduced, perhaps due to people from Blu/Luminae wanting to try the MDR and being accommodated in Select or as I have seen some from traditional dining who miss their dining time being accommodated in Select. Whatever the reason our experience has been that there is increasing pressure on Select.

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise in May on the Equinox. This week I went ahead and made dinner reservations for each night, with Select dining, for 645.

My thought was that this way a could secure a table for 2. Also if I wanted to adjust our dining time on board I could always change it.

In September we pre-reserved and even then had to wait some evenings. It does seem the flexibility to just turn up and be seated is being reduced, perhaps due to people from Blu/Luminae wanting to try the MDR and being accommodated in Select or as I have seen some from traditional dining who miss their dining time being accommodated in Select. Whatever the reason our experience has been that there is increasing pressure on Select.

I'll wager there is nothing to suggest that people from Luminae or Blu are impacting select dining in the MDR at all and it perpetuates a myth that is often argued about on these forums. There are a greater number of people who opt for select dining and who prefer private table dining. This is exactly why Summit had to switch the select dining space with the traditional dining space in the MDR (this per the maitre'd)

Just came off Reflection a couple of week's ago and never had any problems with select dinning. We booked 4 months out for our time and it worked perfectly. We did only eat twice at MDR since i had booked 4 Spec. dinners. I was not a real fan of the Mdr menu or the service but the time slot worked for us!

I'll wager there is nothing to suggest that people from Luminae or Blu are impacting select dining in the MDR at all and it perpetuates a myth that is often argued about on these forums. There are a greater number of people who opt for select dining and who prefer private table dining. This is exactly why Summit had to switch the select dining space with the traditional dining space in the MDR (this per the maitre'd)

This reason why I think this is the case is because people who come on this board saying others in their party are not in suites are told they can eat in select with them. Also have heard that people who have traditional dining and miss their time slot can eat at select. The greater number of people choosing select should not be an issue. All dining selections are booking should be capacity controlled, as evidenced by people who get waitlisted for their preferred dining time. If 1/2 of the cruisers who are not aqua/suite are allowed to choose select, and half the dining room is for select there should be no issues.

I think that the accepting of reservations is the worst thing celebrity did, it sounds like it completely compounds the problem. Not to mention that the whole point of select is to eat when your hungry and not to be tied to a specific time but select also can't be a catch-all for people that don't eat when/where they are supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Equinox last month and I'd strongly suggest that you pre-reserve your times, especially if you want a table for 2 between 6 and 8 PM. Note that with select dining reservations, you can't reserve a specific table/server every night or one by the window. You take what they have at the time you choose.

The first 2 or 3 nights had very long lines for select dining and most folks without reservations being given pagers. I don't know how long it took for them because we always showed up at our reserved time. Once the non-reserved folks understood that you could make reservations, the lineups got significantly shorter. My guess is they made reservations on board.

This reason why I think this is the case is because people who come on this board saying others in their party are not in suites are told they can eat in select with them. Also have heard that people who have traditional dining and miss their time slot can eat at select. The greater number of people choosing select should not be an issue. All dining selections are booking should be capacity controlled, as evidenced by people who get waitlisted for their preferred dining time. If 1/2 of the cruisers who are not aqua/suite are allowed to choose select, and half the dining room is for select there should be no issues.

I think that the accepting of reservations is the worst thing celebrity did, it sounds like it completely compounds the problem. Not to mention that the whole point of select is to eat when your hungry and not to be tied to a specific time but select also can't be a catch-all for people that don't eat when/where they are supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The people who complain about this on this board have never been personally been impacted by suite or aqua passengers wanting to eat in the MDR and are only making assumptions. The number of suite and aqua passengers that do so is negligible. Further, it is more than offset by the number of MDR diners that opt to eat at the buffet, in their cabin or in a specialty restaurant. It's just sour grapes from MDR diners that can not dine in Blu or Luminae (or don't want to pay the charge) because it only works one way. I fail to see how reservations make any difference whatever. If you look at the dailies, plan your day and call in the morning to make a reservation, they will tell you if they are over booked. If you just show up, and it is a busy time, then maybe you will have to wait. What else would you expect? If no reservations are accepted, and they are busy, there is still no guarantee you will not have to wait.

I never mind waiting 20-30 min for a table - like others have said, I'm happy to relax, enjoy a drink and people watch. But the main reason I pre-reserve Select vs just showing up is to coordinate with evening show times.

I know that if I want to catch the late show (9pm most nights), that means I probably should be seated somewhere around 6:45/7pm at latest if I want a leisurely meal and the option of a short walk after to digest or a little lead time to find a seat before the show. Since 6-7pm is a busy time, even 20-30 min wait may end up running into the late show's start time.

Sometimes we're tired and decide to dine later or have no interest in the show. I just call down w/at least 2 hours notice to cancel so others can have the slot.

The people who complain about this on this board have never been personally been impacted by suite or aqua passengers wanting to eat in the MDR and are only making assumptions. The number of suite and aqua passengers that do so is negligible. Further, it is more than offset by the number of MDR diners that opt to eat at the buffet, in their cabin or in a specialty restaurant. It's just sour grapes from MDR diners that can not dine in Blu or Luminae (or don't want to pay the charge) because it only works one way. I fail to see how reservations make any difference whatever. If you look at the dailies, plan your day and call in the morning to make a reservation, they will tell you if they are over booked. If you just show up, and it is a busy time, then maybe you will have to wait. What else would you expect? If no reservations are accepted, and they are busy, there is still no guarantee you will not have to wait.

I wish it was just based on assumptions but it's based on actual observations at the podium as you enter Select. It's certainly not sour grapes by those that want to eat at Blu, or Luminae. I didn't book that category so dont expect to eat in their restaurants. Calling in the morning to book a select table went by the wayside years ago. Once onboard their is little to no opportunity to book in Select dining unless you want a very early or very late time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish it was just based on assumptions but it's based on actual observations at the podium as you enter Select. It's certainly not sour grapes by those that want to eat at Blu, or Luminae. I didn't book that category so dont expect to eat in their restaurants. Calling in the morning to book a select table went by the wayside years ago. Once onboard their is little to no opportunity to book in Select dining unless you want a very early or very late time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really find it hard to believe that there was more than 2 people , who identified themselves as Aqua or Suite passengers, that were seated and therefore created a line for entry in select dining. There simply aren't that many suite and AQ passengers on the boat in comparison to all others.

I thought select dining was for those who do not want one of the 2 traditional dining times, not what dining room you eat in. I chose select because it was my only choice at booking, but made reservations for 6:00 every night. Does dinner really take 2 hours though? I chose earliest time so I wont miss the shows. Should I choose a different time?

I thought select dining was for those who do not want one of the 2 traditional dining times, not what dining room you eat in. I chose select because it was my only choice at booking, but made reservations for 6:00 every night. Does dinner really take 2 hours though? I chose earliest time so I wont miss the shows. Should I choose a different time?

We picked 7 and never finished before 9 . We only ate 2 nights in MDR but had same table and waiter ea. night. The service was not the best and the selection of food was not great. We loved the Spec. dinning !

• 5 months later...

Lots of discussion about Select Dining. We like it, and booked for all 16 nights for a table for two on the Reflection Transatlantic. Since then, Celebrity has changed their website, and I'm trying to do the same thing for our Silhouette cruise in November, and I can't find out how to do it. Can anyone help me with the current procedure?

Lots of discussion about Select Dining. We like it, and booked for all 16 nights for a table for two on the Reflection Transatlantic. Since then, Celebrity has changed their website, and I'm trying to do the same thing for our Silhouette cruise in November, and I can't find out how to do it. Can anyone help me with the current procedure?

Go to Cruise Planner. Then go to dining option called "plan all dining". All the nights of your cruise will show. You select the names for the reservation (if booking with friends, you'll need to have them linked to your res). Then a long list of dining packages, plus each specialty restaurant will appear. If you have select dining, the very last item to appear at the end of the long list will be select dining. You choose a time. This puts the reservation in your cart (even though they are complimentary you still have to use the system). It's labor intensive because you have to do it for each night. When finished, go to your cart (make sure you have every evening booked that you want). Then you will check out (owing a zero balance). You'll receive a confirming email (you'll have to fill this out too when the system asks. All your reservations will show up in your cruise calendar. Hope this helps. It's hard to explain and I can't send you to the links because you have to enter your cruise info in order to get there.

We had select on the Reflection last month. Chose 645PM via website ahead of time for each night.

Showed up between 630-645 each night and were seated immediately each night at a table for 2 with same wait staff.

Dinner never took more than 60-75min

It must vary ship to ship and maybe cruise to cruise but our experience with select dining on 3 different cruises (I think 1 on Silhouette and 2 Infinity) was that it was a hot mess. We made reservations months ahead - they were not honored in the least. We would talk to the maitre d' - he would assure us it would be better the next night - NO! it was not. We were a group of 6 tho. But even couples were waiting, 45 minutes plus, on the last Silhouette cruise. We would be advised to come early - so what is the point of having a reservation.

We ended up going to the buffet much more that we had intended. And for the forseeable future, we are finished with Celebrity. Especially if you have a group of 6 or more, I would advise you go for traditional dining. The thing is, don't take reservations if you are not going to honor them. Tell us for a that for our group, we should do traditional dining!

Receiving null errors when attempting to retrieve additional guests, website not showing already confirmed reservations showing up on cruise docs. I hate to say it but of the 4 lines we've cruised with, i'm more frustrated and confused about what we have booked and will be honored, what is missing, etc. than I've ever been, and it's one of the more expensive lines. It is enough that I will lean towards other lines for my next vacation because of the sheer trouble this is causing. When i call the call center, they are either no help, say they're working on it, point me to another website i didn't even know existed or say that they have it covered but can't point me to anything written that says so. Perhaps if i were to book with them again i'd ask to forego the deposit and just ask them to trust me on it. I feel they put more effort in announcing the Edge than they have on their entire website.

Oh goodness! I'm so glad I clicked on this site. I didn't know that you could pre-reserve with select dining. I just went to my cruise planner and pre-reserved for all the nights. What a great option.