Is Cruising to Cuba Really Worth the Extra Costs?

lovelights

The Cubans do have a love for American Classics. But I can see a lot more of those American Classics right here in the USA.

Possibly in museums or car shows, not as daily drivers and certainly not as many on the streets as in Cuba.

Possibly in museums or car shows, not as daily drivers and certainly not as many on the streets as in Cuba.

You need to come out west in the summer and see all the classics on the road. Even in Utah. Some restored and others are survivors. A lot are daily drives (other than winter) here in Utah. Not just at weekend car shows. But if we were to Cruise to Cuba I'd be checking out the American Classics as I have a huge passion for classic cars. Because Cuban gear heads have been cut off from getting OEM parts or even after market parts for so long, their American Classics have morphed into their own species. Ever watch Cuban Chrome?

Edited by davekathy

We booked in the first few hours when an inside room was about 1/2 of what it is now. I have been on the big ships and prefer them but Cuba was a place that both my husband and I wanted to see even if it is a short time. We booked the April 19th. Our final payment is due Jan. 19th. We checked with RC as to what would happen if there would be a change by our incoming government. They said that we could cancel and move any payment to another cruise. We are going because it may be the only time we will be able to do it.

Unlike the majority of Caribbean destinations, Cuba generally and Havana in particular have not undergone major changes because of tourism. If US-Cuban relations continue to normalize and the anticipated US investments in the tourism industry materializes, we will start to see many changes to Havana and the island, not all positive. While some may want to wait, others may want to visit before there's a Starbucks or McDonalds or Diamonds International on every corner. Whether that justifies the additional cost is a personal decision.

I totally agree with this. We are going on the Norwegian Sky in may to cuba. We would like to see it before it becomes trendy... I didn't think it was expensive at all. Not if you compare it to taking say a disney cruise somewhere.

I totally agree with this. We are going on the Norwegian Sky in may to cuba. We would like to see it before it becomes trendy... I didn't think it was expensive at all. Not if you compare it to taking say a disney cruise somewhere.

I agree with your approach in keeping in mind that the cruise to Cuba is not just a means of getting there. It's a cruise in itself PLUS you get to see Cuba. Our cruise this month aboard the Celestyl Crystal will be the fourth consecutive year in doing so, with a total time aboard of 9 weeks. This is our Caribbean winter get-away in the sun, being looked after and entertained PLUS it has been giving us the opportunity to experience something other than the customary island jewelry stores and their like.

There are several reasons that I would like to go to Cuba:

1) I should be allowed to travel anywhere I want without restrictions placed on me by my government. I do not care if I am supporting a dictatorship. Our government has supported and continues to support monarchies, dictatorships, and oligarchies throughout the world. Freedom of movement is a human right.

2) Any interaction between different cultures and societies is a positive experience. I want to find out first-hand what life is like there now. Of course, I am getting only a slice of life there but talking to other people has to dispel stereotypes and myths.

3) The world is slowly but surely becoming more homogeneous. The same restaurants will be found in all counties. Languages are disappearing everyday. We are all watching the same movies and using the same phones. A unique way of life will disappear in Cuba in a few decades. We must go now![/Q

Well you have till the 20th of Jan to get all your Cruising done to Cuba, because the New Administration is Going to Cancel Obama Executive Order regarding Cuba which means

No More Cruises from American Ports to Cuba

No More Direct Flights to Cuba from US

This is Not a Opinion, It is Stone Cold Fact..

Michael

Well you have till the 20th of Jan to get all your Cruising done to Cuba, because the New Administration is Going to Cancel Obama Executive Order regarding Cuba which means

Michael

You really should learn the difference between a "fact" and an "opinion." Your post is an opinion, unless you're going to claim you personally know President-Elect Trump.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Michael

Actually it would be an opinion...

However, if this is such a great (or is that grate?) fact, fortunately neighbours to the north and south take a much more enlightened view on international travel...

Edited by BritinSoCal

Actually it would be an opinion...

However, if this is such a great (or is that grate?) fact, fortunately neighbours to the north and south take a much more enlightened view on international travel...

An take advantage they did. Over the last three cruise seasons aboard the Crystal we met many Americans who embarked/disembarked at Montego Bay Jamaica. Their flight itinerary was home/Montego Bay/home. As they said, what they did in Jamaica was their own business.

Taking away one's right to go to Cuba results in the destination Cuba travel business going to only foreign airlines and foreign cruise lines. That's not what the President-elect of the US has in mind.

That's not what the President-elect of the US has in mind.

Come on. The President-elect of the US himself doesn't even appear to know what he has in mind, right now, let alone 5 minutes from now on his Twitter account. Anti-Commie vs. anti-business? Who knows which he'll pick.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Come on. The President-elect of the US himself doesn't even appear to know what he has in mind, right now, let alone 5 minutes from now on his Twitter account. Anti-Commie vs. anti-business? Who knows which he'll pick.

If there are jobs and business to be had in the Cuba travel industry, the PEOUS will ensure Americans are not excluded. Hotel blueprints are probably already being studied.

I would not spend $2000k + for an interior on the Empress...

I agree but NCL is going a month later and offering an over night in Havana and you can book a balcony for much less than that. In fact, insides are under $700. I can't wait to set foot in Cuba. With almost 30 cruises a new port will be quite exciting for us. I have many friends that have the same poor opinions of many of the standard ports. Don't understand why all the criticism. True cruisers are usually excited when a new adventure presents itself. Besides, we are not able to fly so for some people cruising is the only option for travel off continent. Since retirement we have tried to keep our promise to each other that we would always looks for affordable ways to keep life interesting and this leap into the unknown sure should satisfy that promise. Sometimes you need to do something kinda crazy like Times Square on NYE or Mardi Gras to stay young. We just want to have fun while we can.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't pay over $1k either, but I am highly considering booking a Cuba trip because we don't mind inside cabins and they are now under $700 for 5 nights with an overnight in Havana so we could get 2 days there (and we have always wanted to go to Cuba). My only hesitation is that I have heard nothing positive about Empress of the Seas. And I don't want to do NCL because its only a 4 night cruise which is short for us. Ahhh, decisions, decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

I see cruises to Cuba as an affordable way to get there. I've been looking at the costs of land vacations to Cuba for the past year and a half, since the restrictions eased. A 3-day long weekend in Havana costs around $4000/person and up. And I don't think that includes the airfare to get there.

So yes, cruises to this destination are more expensive than cruises to other destinations, it's cheaper than the alternative, and just depends on if you want a chance to see Cuba or not.

I see cruises to Cuba as an affordable way to get there. I've been looking at the costs of land vacations to Cuba for the past year and a half, since the restrictions eased. A 3-day long weekend in Havana costs around $4000/person and up. And I don't think that includes the airfare to get there.

So yes, cruises to this destination are more expensive than cruises to other destinations, it's cheaper than the alternative, and just depends on if you want a chance to see Cuba or not.

We actually wound up booking a land vacation in Cuba for this August, followed by a cruise out of San Juan. When researching round trip flights from Philadelphia to Havana, they were $300pp (we wound up doing 1 way tickets for about 1/2 that though, since we decided to do a cruise following Cuba). We booked casa particulars (AKA: bed and breakfasts) in various parts of Cuba using Airbnb. The most expensive that we booked is $60 per night with the least expensive being $40 per night. This winds up being more cost effective for us than cruising to Cuba and we get to be there for 8 days.

I still think a cruise to Cuba will be great though.

We just returned from a 7 night cruise on Celestyal's Crystal http://yourcubacruise.com which began and ended in Montego Bay. You are also able to embark/disembark in Havana. Our ports in Cuba included two days in Havana along with a day in Cienfuegos and Santiago. While the ship was small it was a lovely experience. We had a room with an obstructed view, and the cost of $3900 included our mandatory insurance, Cuban visa, all tours which met the People to People requirements, gratuities on the ship, and an alcohol package. We flew SW airlines to Montego Bay, immediately boarded the ship and flew home the day of disembarkation. The tours were a combination of bus and walking, along with cultural/art performances and a choice of Havana's art or revolution museum. The onboard lecturer was an associate professor from U. of Havana. With airfare and parking, cost of the cruise, and about $200 for miscellaneous, the trip cost us about $4500.00. Cuba's main GDP is tourism. I would encourage anyone to visit this mysterious, vibrant country if they are fortunate enough to afford it.

I'm thinking that many of these people were already booked, before the changes were made, because the prices increased once they announced that Empress was going to Cuba.

We researched Cuba cruises at 4 cruise lines before choosing RCCL (Empress OTS) and booked it on 2/17. We were totally underwhelmed with this old ship that had tiny cabins at huge prices, but we wanted an overnight in Havana. Within a few hours of booking this cruise, we saw that Oceania had just opened their Cuba itineraries. They do 2 days/overnight in Havana, as well as Cienfuegos and Santiago. We immediately cancelled RCCL and booked a balcony cabin on the Insignia. By today - 2 days later - all cabins for our 12/8 sailing and the 12/1 sailing were sold out!! We've been wanting to try Oceania anyway, so it's a win-win.

It's like a grand per person for a 5 day cruise to Cuba, and this is for an inside cabin.

We paid $2,899pp for 7 days in a B1 balcony cabin on a premium cruise line with a gorgeous ship. That includes free tips, free unlimited internet, and $750 obc. Inside cabins were $1,299 and got the same perks - just the fare alone is less per day than RCCL, let alone the perks on top of that.

. . . let's not forget about the $75 visa, the health insurance that is required, the shore excursion you need to pay for, and the fact that it's Royal's smallest ship in the fleet.

We (and everyone else) have to buy the $75 visa. Our health insurance is being paid for by the cruise line. We can take either ship shore excursions or private ones that meet the people-to-people guidelines.

Is it really worth all that extra money to go to a place for like 8 hours? It's not like you can get off the ship and go where you want, right?

We will spend 49 hrs in Cuba - 34 in Havana, 9 in Cienfuegos and 6 in Santiago.

I'm just curious as to what it is about Cuba that will have people paying outrageous prices to go there.

Well, those are my reasons why I'm willing to spend the money to go to this new destination. I've been wanting to visit there for a long time as well as try a new cruise line. You don't have all your facts straight so I hope this helps.

Well, those are my reasons why I'm willing to spend the money to go to this new destination. I've been wanting to visit there for a long time as well as try a new cruise line. You don't have all your facts straight so I hope this helps.

You are right. If you consider the bottomline price, Oceania ends up cheaper. Thanks for sharing your experience,

I . A 3-day long weekend in Havana costs around $4000/person and up. And I don't think that includes the airfare to get there.

... cruises to this destination .... cheaper than the alternative..

Now that individuals can travel on their own........Airfare is under $300 per person from the northeast US. As mentioned, a B&B (casa particular) runs about U$30 per night. Dinner is about $10; breakfast $5. Long-distance, air conditioned bus transportation is comfortable, cheap and scenic. Transportation around Havana in an air conditioned taxi can add up, but unless you are staying in a $700/night hotel in Havana or going on an organized group land tour, there is no way a cruise is cheaper than a land vacation in Cuba.

Now that individuals can travel on their own........Airfare is under $300 per person from the northeast US. As mentioned, a B&B (casa particular) runs about U$30 per night. Dinner is about $10; breakfast $5. Long-distance, air conditioned bus transportation is comfortable, cheap and scenic. Transportation around Havana in an air conditioned taxi can add up, but unless you are staying in a $700/night hotel in Havana or going on an organized group land tour, there is no way a cruise is cheaper than a land vacation in Cuba.

Agreed :p. For anyone reading who is wondering about the difference in prices for a casa particular stated by VidaNaPraia and by myself....I have seen the prices start at as low as US$25 per night. I paid more for 2 reasons: 1. It is a bit more pricey to book through Airbnb as I did but I like to see pictures of my accomodations and read reviews and book in advance so that things are not "up in the air" when I get there so I chose to go that route. 2. The base rate per night is typically based on double occupancy and so we had to pay slightly more per night because we have more than 2 people.

This may not be for everyone as I know some prefer to stay in a resort. But the reviews of most of the casas are fantastic and we look forward to immersing ourselves in the culture (and saving money in the process).