Is Cruising to Cuba Really Worth the Extra Costs?

lovelights

I'm amazed at all the people that are willing to pay such expensive prices to go to Cuba.

I'm thinking that many of these people were already booked, before the changes were made, because the prices increased once they announced that Empress was going to Cuba.

It's like a grand per person for a 5 day cruise to Cuba, and this is for an inside cabin. That does not include any port fees, taxes, or tips, and let's not forget about the $75 visa, the health insurance that is required, the shore excursion you need to pay for, and the fact that it's Royal's smallest ship in the fleet. Is it really worth all that extra money to go to a place for like 8 hours? It's not like you can get off the ship and go where you want, right?

I'm just curious as to what it is about Cuba that will have people paying outrageous prices to go there.

Edited by lovelights

We booked the first day the Cuba cruises were released - an OK fare. Other "boutique" cruise lines with Cuba intensive itineraries have fares outside our budget. It will be interesting so see what an acceptable "market rate" fare will be for Cuba cruises in the coming months and years.

Edited by PNW Traveler

We booked the first day the Cuba cruises were released - an OK fare. Other "boutique" cruise lines with Cuba intensive itineraries have fares outside our budget. It will be interesting so see what an acceptable "market rate" fare will be for Cuba cruises in the coming months and years.

Certainly worth watching. I'm looking forward to reviews and pictures.

I'm amazed at all the people that are willing to pay such expensive prices to go to Cuba.

I'm thinking that many of these people were already booked, before the changes were made, because the prices increased once they announced that Empress was going to Cuba.

It's like a grand per person for a 5 day cruise to Cuba, and this is for an inside cabin. That does not include any port fees, taxes, or tips, and let's not forget about the $75 visa, the health insurance that is required, the shore excursion you need to pay for, and the fact that it's Royal's smallest ship in the fleet. Is it really worth all that extra money to go to a place for like 8 hours? It's not like you can get off the ship and go where you want, right?

I'm just curious as to what it is about Cuba that will have people paying outrageous prices to go there.

You have to understand human nature and the desire to say you did something first. Same mentality of those who like to sail inaugural cruises.

We booked the April weeklong cruise the morning the prices were released. They have gone up significantly from that date. If I had not booked on the first day, I would not be taking this cruise.

We've taken several NYE cruises with crazy inflated prices. Is it worth it- it was to us. I hope I can say the same thing about the Cuba cruise.

M

You have to understand human nature and the desire to say you did something first. Same mentality of those who like to sail inaugural cruises.

Not to mention it's a way to go somewhere new in the Caribbean for those who have sailed it a lot.

Plus. There's always the possibility this might be the only time to go in the near future. No one knows if we will roll back to the same restrictions to Cuba we've had once the new administration comes in.

Unlike the majority of Caribbean destinations, Cuba generally and Havana in particular have not undergone major changes because of tourism. If US-Cuban relations continue to normalize and the anticipated US investments in the tourism industry materializes, we will start to see many changes to Havana and the island, not all positive. While some may want to wait, others may want to visit before there's a Starbucks or McDonalds or Diamonds International on every corner. Whether that justifies the additional cost is a personal decision.

Not worth it to me.

A combination of 'forbidden fruit' & a desire to see it as it historically has been before cultural change, as Fouremco explained, are likely factors. And yes, to be amongst the 1st.

It's interesting what appeals to people. To me, seeing 'old Caribbean' would be about finding a lush, jungle sort of place that hadn't been altered so much by human contact. To some people, it seems to be about finding a human culture not as altered by outside influences. What is desirable about that, the good and bad, would probably make an interesting subject in its own right.

Richard.

We booked the April weeklong cruise the morning the prices were released. They have gone up significantly from that date. If I had not booked on the first day, I would not be taking this cruise.

We've taken several NYE cruises with crazy inflated prices. Is it worth it- it was to us. I hope I can say the same thing about the Cuba cruise.

M

Same with us the first day the cruises were out they were ok priced. At the prices they are at now wouldn't do it either.

I booked a cruise to Cuba, I have sailed next to it, have flown over it on an Air Jamaica plane, now I will be able to set foot on her. I went with the NCL Sky for a 4 night cruise with an overnight in Havana. I wanted to see it before it changes plus I will be able to say, I have been there.

I have always wanted to see where my father was born. I, like others, booked immediately after it was announced and the price was actually pretty darn good. They did not adjust the prices for a couple of hours so if you got in early you got a good deal. That said, no I would not spend $2k to spend 1 day in Cuba.

There are several reasons that I would like to go to Cuba:

1) I should be allowed to travel anywhere I want without restrictions placed on me by my government. I do not care if I am supporting a dictatorship. Our government has supported and continues to support monarchies, dictatorships, and oligarchies throughout the world. Freedom of movement is a human right.

2) Any interaction between different cultures and societies is a positive experience. I want to find out first-hand what life is like there now. Of course, I am getting only a slice of life there but talking to other people has to dispel stereotypes and myths.

3) The world is slowly but surely becoming more homogeneous. The same restaurants will be found in all counties. Languages are disappearing everyday. We are all watching the same movies and using the same phones. A unique way of life will disappear in Cuba in a few decades. We must go now!

Edited by ChinaShrek

To us, it is not worth spending that much $$$ to go. I did look at the cruises the first day they were announced, and decided, we prefer to wait until they get all the wrinkles ironed out, and we can choose to see and do what we want while in Cuba. I believe it is only a matter of time until this will happen. Hopefully, it will not turn into a tourist trip like many of the other Islands. We do try to get out of the tourists traps on the Islands, and see their natural beauty and culture as much as we can.

Some day, we will get to Cuba, but not in the near future.

I'd prefer an overnight stay as opposed to a day stop. But generally speaking, yes, the costs are worth it to me compared to, say, spending money for a suite or drinks package on an otherwise regular cruise; things which are not that important to me.