Voyages of Discovery and Swan Hellenic

tring

Viking ocean is an alternative. Only 900 passengers, yes a goodly proportion are from the US, but the ships are amazing. We were on 'Star' last year and loved it, going again in May to St. Petersburg - can't wait! Last cruise with Fred was a huge disappointment so don't think that is an option.

It would be nice if we had been told officially that everything is off. I feel for those who may not use the internet, sorting this out would be even more of a nightmare.

Thank you for that suggestion, we will look into it.

Just thinking that not everyone on here is from the UK. For people who live in other countries, I do not know what they should do to claim for the lost money. Anything I have posted refers to UK nationals.

I presume telling everyone may take a bit of time and may not be a priority for those on later cruises. It sounds like ATOL and ABTA are fairly busy at present anyway. I do feel it would have been easy to miss the relatively little TV cover we had about the failure and it was not even on text the next day. I would not be surprised if some people were not aware that All Leisure was the parent company, so the news would not necessary have been taken much note of by some.

Edited by tring

Viking ocean is an alternative. Only 900 passengers, yes a goodly proportion are from the US, but the ships are amazing. We were on 'Star' last year and loved it, going again in May to St. Petersburg - can't wait! Last cruise with Fred was a huge disappointment so don't think that is an option.

It would be nice if we had been told officially that everything is off. I feel for those who may not use the internet, sorting this out would be even more of a nightmare.

Was looking at Fred Olsen as an alternative for VOD myself. Why was it a huge disappointment?

We did the old Discovery and by most any measure she too would have been a "huge disappointment" as ship, but the overall package we thought was fantastic.

Edited by OlsSalt

Likewise we have done Minerva, old Discovery, Voyager, all Fred's ships, including Black Prince, Ocean Majesty( she also is no more!) and Viking Star.

We did a 28 day, Greenland, Iceland, Faroes and Norway cruise on Boudicca. There was a noticeable down grading of the food from previous cruises, repetitious menus, pretentious naming of sauces and dishes, which turned out to be Thousand Island dressing and Iceberg lettuce, just generally very disappointing. The evening entertainment was not as good as previous cruises. Obviously the itinerary was very good which was the saving grace.

I must say the food on Viking is very good, verging on wonderful. There is something going on every evening, no imported entertainment, various in house muscians and singers in various bars round the ship, all very good.

Guess where our preference has gone to?

Probably should add the decor of the ship is very sleek, very scandinavian really inviting. I'm afraid knocks most other smaller ships into a cocked hat. Having said all that it is the itinerary we go for not the ship, hence the reason we had the cruise in March on Voyager and November on Minerva

Just been looking at the Viking star and it certainly sounds as though it lives up to everything that has been mentioned here. The port intensive itineraries and lack of lots of activities is particularly appealing. However, as people who have booked the cheaper cabins on Voyager/Minerva, sadly Viking is way above our budget. Maybe one day for a very special holiday though.

Edited by tring

We are Canadians also, and have paid for a trip on the Minerva supposedly departing from the Canary Islands on January 17/17. Do you know how we can get a refund? We have been on four previous cruises with Voyages of Discovery and the Minerva and absolutely loved them all! So disappointed. Apparently TICO doesn't cover this loss since All Leisure Holidays (which is the company that went bankrupt) isn't a cruise line (it's a travel agent/wholesaler registered in the UK with ABTA). I found out about this just looking at the UK Swan Hellenic website on January 5th and immediately called the US Swan Hellenic office and she told me she was very sorry, that she had just found out the day before, and I should cancel our flights which we booked separately to and from the Canary Islands. She said she would call me back with more information, but nothing so far. What a nightmare!

I have noticed, in some of the last few posts, many of you enquiring or sharing information about other small cruise ships to consider cruising in following the demise of Swan and VOG.

Before I retired as a travel writer I was asked to provide a list of small cruise liners, those with less than 1000 passengers. This I did and I will make the list available to any of you who may want to look at it or indeed copy it for your own use.

Please note that this list was created a couple of years ago, so there may well be some ships included which are no longer cruising.

It is stored on Dropbox so anyone can view it or indeed download it at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a19grau1dlt6plv/small-ships.docx?dl=0

Thank you very much for this list of smaller ships - I forgot about the Pacific Princess - at least she is progeny to the old Island Princess - Discovery.

Among that list, and there were names I had not thought about, do any of them have the same lecture enrichment program and less of the cruise ship entertainment frou frou?

Even though we have enjoyed the HAL Prinsendam, it is not the sort of adventure-enrichment ship that would fill the missing gap here. Much broader range of passengers, not many were educaitonal/enrichment oriented.

I've just returned from vacation and read this thread. Very sorry to hear of the demise of these lines, particularly Swan Hellenic which provided one of my favorite cruises to date.

Just curious why more are not considering Voyages to Antiquity as an alternative? Their ship, Aegean Odyssey, has the same small ship size and high quality enrichment lecturers as Swan. Is it because her destinations tend to be mainly European/Mediterranean? (Although she has done several winters in Asia....)

I've just returned from vacation and read this thread. Very sorry to hear of the demise of these lines, particularly Swan Hellenic which provided one of my favorite cruises to date.

Just curious why more are not considering Voyages to Antiquity as an alternative? Their ship, Aegean Odyssey, has the same small ship size and high quality enrichment lecturers as Swan. Is it because her destinations tend to be mainly European/Mediterranean? (Although she has done several winters in Asia....)

I do not believe that it is Voyages of Antiquity’s itineraries that prevent former Swan and VOG passengers considering them. Just have a look at their prices.

If you are prepared to pay those prices may I suggest looking at all the luxury cruise lines.

I do not believe that it is Voyages of Antiquity’s itineraries that prevent former Swan and VOG passengers considering them. Just have a look at their prices.

If you are prepared to pay those prices may I suggest looking at all the luxury cruise lines.

The prices I have seen for Swan Hellenic are about the same as (or more than) those for Voyages to Antiquity. (The one Swan cruise I took was probably the most expensive I've ever done...)

Of course, traveling solo I find the higher-end lines have lower solo supplements, so for me the cost of doing Voyages to Antiquity is about the same as doing a cruise on Holland America, when you add in the things that are included.

Traveling luxury is one thing, but it's the lectures I appreciate on VtoA (and previously on Swan). Luxury for the sake of luxury = no thanks.

We are Canadians also, and have paid for a trip on the Minerva supposedly departing from the Canary Islands on January 17/17. Do you know how we can get a refund? We have been on four previous cruises with Voyages of Discovery and the Minerva and absolutely loved them all! So disappointed. Apparently TICO doesn't cover this loss since All Leisure Holidays (which is the company that went bankrupt) isn't a cruise line (it's a travel agent/wholesaler registered in the UK with ABTA).

Did you book with a US agent ?

does that State have a travel compensation fund like TICO?

Maybe you can try a charge back with your credit card company or try to claim with the UK ATOL/ABTA

good luck

OD

I agree with your suggestion. Last winter I took a lengthy, highly enjoyable cruise with VTA, crossing the Indian Ocean from Cape Town to Singapore. Prices were all inclusive, and fell in the same range as VOD and Swan. While the atmosphere was less formal, wine was served with every dinner.

Today there is an interesting news article about VTA's strong market position:

http://www.cruisetradenews.com/voyages-to-antiquity-oan in-the-crest-of-a-wave/

I have noticed, in some of the last few posts, many of you enquiring or sharing information about other small cruise ships to consider cruising in following the demise of Swan and VOG.

Before I retired as a travel writer I was asked to provide a list of small cruise liners, those with less than 1000 passengers. This I did and I will make the list available to any of you who may want to look at it or indeed copy it for your own use.

Please note that this list was created a couple of years ago, so there may well be some ships included which are no longer cruising.

It is stored on Dropbox so anyone can view it or indeed download it at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a19grau1dlt6plv/small-ships.docx?dl=0

Hello, I,m interested in reading this, but it won't let me open in Dropbox , am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks

The prices I have seen for Swan Hellenic are about the same as (or more than) those for Voyages to Antiquity. (The one Swan cruise I took was probably the most expensive I've ever done...)

Of course, traveling solo I find the higher-end lines have lower solo supplements, so for me the cost of doing Voyages to Antiquity is about the same as doing a cruise on Holland America, when you add in the things that are included.

Traveling luxury is one thing, but it's the lectures I appreciate on VtoA (and previously on Swan). Luxury for the sake of luxury = no thanks.

Thanks for the VTA reminder. You have me intrigued again. How many tables for two in the main dining room.

That was a real drawback on the new VOD ship mainly large tables, compared to the abundance of tables for two on the old Discovery. Thanks.

Edited by OlsSalt

If you click on the link and then enlarge, you can see the layout of the Marco Polo (formal) dining room:

http://www.cruisetraveller.com.au/sites/default/files/images/VTA%20-%20Deck%20Plan%202012-_jpg_.jpg

It looks like there are 8 dedicated tables for 2, plus 14 booths along the walls where they will seat 2 or 4, depending. (Plus additional tables for four.)

One of the best things about Aegean Odyssey, as I think I've mentioned before, is the outside dining area, where there are also a good number of tables for two. If you sit in this area for dinner, you can select from the adjacent buffet or order dishes from a limited menu if you prefer.

Just as a matter of note.

I downloaded a claim form from my credit card company and filled it in and posted it on Monday 9th January 2017. I enclosed with it:

1. A covering letter explaining what I was claiming for.

2. A copy of the invoice, for the monies paid.

3. A copy of the ATOL certificate.

4. The downloadable letter that ATOL produced stating that All Leisure had ceased trading.

5. A copy of my credit card statement which showed the monies paid and their respective reference numbers.

The pack was posted as I said on Monday afternoon the 9th and on checking my credit card account found that it had been resolved and the monies in full credited to my account by Friday the 13th January. Only 5 days from posting.

My card, by the way, is from the only surviving totally independent UK Building Society.

So as far as I am concerned, case closed and now looking for a replacement cruise. Fed up with ocean cruises and now looking at River Cruises.

Best of luck to everyone.

Grumbles from a UK relative who reports the VOD owner walked off with millions in this collapse.

I had not read that elsewhere and was wondering where she got this news, besides from her kin who had their VOD cruise canceled who currently lives half a continent away from the London center of the storm.

Edited by OlsSalt

Grumbles from a UK relative who reports the VOD owner walked off with millions in this collapse.

I had not read that elsewhere and was wondering where she got this news, besides from her kin who had their VOD cruise canceled who currently lives half a continent away from the London center of the storm.

I saw an article online early last week although don't recall which newspaper it was--just something that came up in a google search when I was first trying to find out what was happening. I'm a loyal Swan fan and quite devastated about the news.

Well the official (and legally worded) notification from the administrators have just dropped on our doormat. Feels sad – so final somehow.

We have lost a month this Feb and a month next Feb on Voyager, but have been able to add three extra hotel bases and flights to our previously arranged, independent, post cruise land tour. We have disruption insurance, so could have claimed the cost of the land tour as the other parts of the holiday had been "disrupted", but are pleased to have been able to re arrange. It does not make up for all those lost days in Vietnam or two days docked centrally in Yangon, but should be enjoyable non the less.

We did decide to take advantage of Fred Olsen's offer for another holiday, though doubt Fred would be of any real replacement for those on the other side of the Atlantic.

We have booked Boudicca going from Liverpool to Mauritius next Oct/Nov, but have booked Etihad flights independently (flights much cheaper than Fred) and arranged post cruise stays. We will be staying in Mauritius for seven nights then on to Abu Dhabi for a three night stopover - for the Grand Prix - well that was a bit of a mistake when we found the prices of hotels for that weekend!! Luckily we were able to get a hotel on a loyalty points/cash deal there.

Again that is not a real replacement for VOD, but the price works out far cheaper than Voyager, even though Fred's offer for VOD/Swan passengers is not 25% off what you could get without the offer, (which cannot be combined with other offers, e.g. free drinks pack, which is offered on most Fred cruises currently, or loyalty discounts if applicable). It does visit a number of very unusual Indian Ocean ports though and we will be in warmer climes for a long time. It also sails from a port 20 mins from our home and gives us chance to choose our own return flight, so adding Abu Dhabi and avoiding overnight flights.

We were not over keen to Cruise with Fred again as we have had some problems with cabins on Fred's ships recently. Realistically though we have also had problems with a cabin on Voyager, so we have booked a one night mini cruise on Boudicca for June in the same cabin, to check there are no big problems.

I hope everyone else has been able to re arrange something for their lost cruises. I still think of the people who have lost their jobs, in the head office as well as on the ship, as they may find it worse in the long term to replace their jobs.

Good luck everyone - I will stop my ramblings and get on with life :)

Edited by tring

Thanks for your follow-up, tring. It sounds like you were able to put a spectacular package together to adjust around this loss of your VOD.

Plus reminds me of the many ports the old VOD Discovery took us to as we poked around the Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf twice on our two cruises with her, including our two days in Burma (Myanmar). Please report back on the Boddicca and your latest Fred Olsen experience - at least she sounds like a fine ship of good provenance.

Best wishes for a wonderful "Plan B". And raise a glass for me in remembrance of the wonderful hours spent on the old VOD.

Ohhhhh ... the places we saw ......