Charge for Go Best perks

Redking

I always struggle to understand Celebrity invoices.

We booked a a future cruise back in Jan 2016 (CS on the Sostice in Nov 2017) using the Go Best offer. I notice on my invoice that there is an approx $800 aus/pp charge for the offer on my invoice. The small print on the flyer refers to a charge for the Go Best offer. Can anyone explain this? Seems odd to charge for perk.

I'm trying to compare current prices with the price we got last year.

The GoBig/GoBetter/GoBest "perks" are really a three tiered pricing structure. The more "perks" the higher the cost. GoBig gets you one "perk", GoBetter gets you two "perks", and GoBest gets you all four "perks" and upgrades the drink package from Classic to Premium. It's akin to "value sizing" a meal at a fast food restaraunt.

The "base" price for any given cruise is the GoBig pricing. GoBetter is $15 per guest per day more than GoBig. GoBest is $45 per guest per day more than GoBig. That upcharge is calculated on the prevailing "base" rate on the day you book. The "base" rate fluctuates frequently.

Example: 7nt cruise per guest before tax - GoBig $1000, Go Better (GoBig + $105 = $1105), GoBest (GoBig + $315 = $1315). If a month later the base price for GoBig is $1250, then GoBetter would be $1355, and GoBest would be $1565. A month after that the base price could drop to $850, so GoBetter would be $955 and GoBest would be $1165. The upcharge remains constant, though the "base" fare will fluctuate up or down.

The above rates are for bookings made in USD, so not sure how that translates to AUD, but it will be a similar formula. Simply divide the exact GoBest surcharge by the number of days in your cruise to see what the actual per day surcharge is.

To compare pricing simply price out the cruise at the current GoBest rate, or if that's not readily available then price at current the GoBig rate and add the GoBest surcharge to get the current GoBest rate.

If booked in USD the booking can be refared up to final payment date if the price drops. Not sure if that is possible for bookings made in AUD, or if you would have to cancel and rebook (possibly forfeiting deposit) to take advantage of the lower rate.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

The GoBig/GoBetter/GoBest "perks" are really a three tiered pricing structure. The more "perks" the higher the cost. GoBig gets you one "perk", GoBetter gets you two "perks", and GoBest gets you all four "perks" and upgrades the drink package from Classic to Premium. It's akin to "value sizing" a meal at a fast food restaraunt.

The "base" price for any given cruise is the GoBig pricing. GoBetter is $15 per guest per day more than GoBig. GoBest is $45 per guest per day more than GoBig. That upcharge is calculated on the prevailing "base" rate on the day you book. The "base" rate fluctuates frequently.

Example: 7nt cruise per guest before tax - GoBig $1000, Go Better (GoBig + $105 = $1105), GoBest (GoBig + $315 = $1315). If a month later the base price for GoBig is $1250, then GoBetter would be $1355, and GoBest would be $1565. A month after that the base price could drop to $850, so GoBetter would be $955 and GoBest would be $1165. The upcharge remains constant, though the "base" fare will fluctuate up or down.

The above rates are for bookings made in USD, so not sure how that translates to AUD, but it will be a similar formula. Simply divide the exact GoBest surcharge by the number of days in your cruise to see what the actual per day surcharge is.

To compare pricing simply price out the cruise at the current GoBest rate, or if that's not readily available then price at current the GoBig rate and add the GoBest surcharge to get the current GoBest rate.

Thank you Atlanta Cruiser. Complicated, but makes sense. Hard to compare on current prices without finding out the base fare.

We did a recent cruise on Solstice in a suite (Sky) which included the Go Best perks.

It will eventually show up on your booking - they put a charge to each perk then rebate it (or take it off) - probably just to show you how much the "value" is.

From memory, the premium drinks perk was valued at $1192 Aust dollars per head.

We were on a 14 day cruise, with a lot of sea days, in fact probably did not spend more than 10 hours off the ship in that time and well and truely got value from the deal. Still licking my lips for the Knob Creek Burbon.

Enjoy as we found drinks prices on the Solstice quite expensive and in US $ as well

Thank you Atlanta Cruiser. Complicated, but makes sense. Hard to compare on current prices without finding out the base fare.

Just noticed you mentioned you are booked in a category CS Celebrity Suite. In the US all suites are priced out at GoBest, even though the invoice will show the surcharge as a line item in the detailed breakdown. Not sure if GoBest is the standard offer for suites when booked in AUD. If it is you simply need to compare your total fare to the current fare (before taxes, if they are not included in upfront pricing display which is the case in the US)

Yes, this is odd. When booking on the US website, with a suite the perks are built in. With a non suite you are given 3 fare options: 1 perk, 2 perks, or all perks with the drink package upgrade. So you plainly see the price and differences. I'm assuming you booked through a travel agent maybe? So it's harder to say how they priced it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If booked in USD the booking can be refared up to final payment date if the price drops. Not sure if that is possible for bookings made in AUD, or if you would have to cancel and rebook (possibly forfeiting deposit) to take advantage of the lower rate.

Very good explanation. The only thing I would add though is that I believe the Go Big is not really the base price. If you look at a state rate or senior rate without the perks, that's the real base price. They do add extra fare to get the Go Big "perk." They just make you think it's "free" and the base.

Very good explanation. The only thing I would add though is that I believe the Go Big is not really the base price. If you look at a state rate or senior rate without the perks, that's the real base price. They do add extra fare to get the Go Big "perk." They just make you think it's "free" and the base.

Good catch Steve

GoBig is the defacto base price.

Not everyone qualifies for a Senior or Resident DISCOUNT, and they are not available for every sailing or every category. Taking advantage of the ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT afforded to Seniors, or Residents of select states (when available) disqualifies you from the GoBig/Better/Best perk offers. If there was a fare available to ALL customers on ALL sailings that was lower than Big/Better/Best, then yes that would be the "base" price.

GoBig is the defacto base price.

Not everyone qualifies for a Senior or Resident DISCOUNT, and they are not available for every sailing or every category. Taking advantage of the ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT afforded to Seniors, or Residents of select states (when available) disqualifies you from the GoBig/Better/Best perk offers. If there was a fare available to ALL customers on ALL sailings that was lower than Big/Better/Best, then yes that would be the "base" price.

Guess you're right then. But most sailing at some point towards or after final payment offer those discounts as an excuse to sell the empty cabins. Same with the "Xciting" deals which aren't that exciting any more.

Guess you're right then. But most sailing at some point towards or after final payment offer those discounts as an excuse to sell the empty cabins. Same with the "Xciting" deals which aren't that exciting any more.

If that discounted price were available to ALL consumers then I would agree with you, as they are restricted to "qualified" guest only then I hold firm on my stance - LOL ;)

Cruise pricing is like a Chinese Puzzle anymore!

I read here that you could call in and ask for a price with no perks. I've never tried because I would buy the drink package anyway so I like having it "included".

To my knowledge that is not possible. They only way to get a potentially lower price without perks is to book a Senior or Residency discount fare, if available, or if you are booking a "restricted" discount fare like an "Xciting Deal" offer, which are usually only available on a VERY select few sailings withing 30ish days before departure. To just call and "forfeit" the perk and get a lower price - I have never heard of it being an option.

Other lines like Holland America you can sometimes do this however, though the discount amount may be less than the promo they running is "worth" (relative terms)

To my knowledge that is not possible. They only way to get a potentially lower price without perks is to book a Senior or Residency discount fare, if available, or if you are booking a "restricted" discount fare like an "Xciting Deal" offer, which are usually only available on a VERY select few sailings withing 30ish days before departure. To just call and "forfeit" the perk and get a lower price - I have never heard of it being an option.

Have you tried? Why not call and pretend you're interested in a cruise and see if they'll remove the perks and give you a lower cost even though you're not an old fart or geographically located. :D Then you'll know for sure!

I read here that you could call in and ask for a price with no perks. I've never tried because I would buy the drink package anyway so I like having it "included".

You can do this on the web site and most times it will show the same price with $300 OBC ( big deal, no pun intended).

Select the "Want to see if you qualify for a different discount?" link from the Big/Better/Best page. Fill in the info. Good luck.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Thanks for the replies. Some very knowledgable folks out there. I also found the BBB pricing thread. Useful, but also blew my mind. Think I need law degree to understand the pricing, offers and T &Cs :D.

We booked onboard in January 2016 and the offer at that time was get all 4 perks for free when you book any suite class, which we did. Our invoice is however still showing a charge for the Go Best offer.

I've just emailed celebrity. Their voicemail is still wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and advices that they will be back on 27 December. Thankfully I have 10 months to sort it out :D

We booked a few months ago for a March '17 cruise. The prices have risen since that time and even though they are offering 2 perks we look at the bottom line and are still better off. If you do a dummy booking you'll be able to see the final price and can compare this to what you paid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have you tried? Why not call and pretend you're interested in a cruise and see if they'll remove the perks and give you a lower cost even though you're not an old fart or geographically located. :D Then you'll know for sure!

The fare codes that the Celebrity agents have access to are the exact same as what is in the travel agent system, which is what I use day in and day out to book their cruises. They use the same reservation platform for Royal and Azamara as well. I have never seen a price offered lower than the base GoBig pricing unless it was a special discount fare that's not available to all or just for a limited window, or a contracted group rate, etc. But a "just because" everyday lower fare to forego the Big/Better/Best offers does not exist to my knowledge.

Thanks for the replies. Some very knowledgable folks out there. I also found the BBB pricing thread. Useful, but also blew my mind. Think I need law degree to understand the pricing, offers and T &Cs :D.

We booked onboard in January 2016 and the offer at that time was get all 4 perks for free when you book any suite class, which we did. Our invoice is however still showing a charge for the Go Best offer.

I've just emailed celebrity. Their voicemail is still wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and advices that they will be back on 27 December. Thankfully I have 10 months to sort it out :D

Even with Suites whenever you have the GoBest there will be an itemized line on the invoice showing what the "upcharge" was for that package even though it is the standard pricing for that category. That said suites are typically sold as GoBest and you do not get a lower fare for reducing to GoBig - there is actually no ability to do so. It's more a function of how their computer sytem accounts for the perks than anything else. As long as the final price and perks matches what you agreed to onboard then it should be a non-issue.

Be careful with the part I bolded above. While I agree this is generally true, when I booked a cruise in Sept 2016, the up charge was less for some inexplicable reason. So, you should always look at the cost to upgrade when presented with the perk selection screen. Sometimes a discount can be found there. Now, that doesn't apply to the OP since Go Best is bundled into Suite fares anyway.

I created a spreadsheet to help myself choose between GoBBB promotions. I've shared it here on other threads and people seem to like it, so I will share it here, too! It helps you quickly decipher the actual value of perks to you and make a decision that fits with your budget. There is a spot for "base" fare and that would be the fare without perks if you have a resident or senior discount offered. Otherwise, you can leave that field blank.

Celebrity Cruise Comparison Tool Excel Link

CelebrityCruiseComparisonToolv2_zpszi2sdqup.png