What do you know about Edge?

jules815

Does anyone else think that more people, more specialty restaurants, more suites may equate to smaller cabins in the other classes? IMHO small enough now.

No. I'd be amazed if this was so. That would be seen as a step backwards by everyone. It would go against their 'modern luxury marketing BS' surely?

Wrong thread?

Comment by Jan'n'John:

"Personally I like the idea of getting rid of the (IMHO fuddy-duddy) MDR, with its typically 1960's menu choices and service style,and replacing it with something more in tune with the contemporary restaurant scene, say, the 1990's? that also gave folks some real choices, not just a selection from among various really dull and dated dishes which is what the MDR has IMO."

We're happy with the extra effort our servers provide and yes, menus can be repetitive if you sail often, but don't know what "1990's food" is. Fast food?

No. I'd be amazed if this was so. That would be seen as a step backwards by everyone. It would go against their 'modern luxury marketing BS' surely?

So does kicking people out early at 7 a.m., and a whole host of other things they've done.

Not that I'd expect other cabins to be smaller... but I don't believe decisions are made based on "Does this align with our slogan?"

Comment by Jan'n'John:

"Personally I like the idea of getting rid of the (IMHO fuddy-duddy) MDR, with its typically 1960's menu choices and service style,and replacing it with something more in tune with the contemporary restaurant scene, say, the 1990's? that also gave folks some real choices, not just a selection from among various really dull and dated dishes which is what the MDR has IMO."

We're happy with the extra effort our servers provide and yes, menus can be repetitive if you sail often, but don't know what "1990's food" is. Fast food?

Dishes found on current Celebrity menu's that could just as easily have been found on restaurant menus in the 1960's and earlier are fuddy-duddy. A brief look at MDR menus immediately turns up items such as duck a l'orange, steak diane, beef wellington, plain grilled steaks and chops, grilled fish (maybe with a nut coating), shrimp scampi, chicken kiev, chateaubriand, shrimp cocktail, veal cordon bleu, chicken alfredo, oysters rockfeller, cherries jubilee, crepes suzette, onion soup, cream of chicken anything, and on and on and on. BORING BORING BORING. Can baked alaska be far away? That is not to say that some of these aren't good from time to time; I enjoy such things occasionally. The problem is that they practically define the menu. An endless parade of boredom. I understand why they do it, but there are a few folks who cruise and who got past dishes like that a long time ago, at least as a steady diet. That's why I suggested perhaps switching away from the single MDR model to having a few restaurants with differing menus might be a good idea. Those who wish to eat strictly in the past can do so while others can occasionally be treated to something a little more up-to-date, without having to pay extra in a specialty. To each his own.

My mention of the 1990's wasn't a literal suggestion. I was being cheeky, only implying that perhaps some cuisine that was considered current, say, 20 years ago might be preferable to that which was all the rage 50+ years ago.

Edited by jan-n-john

Dishes found on current Celebrity menu's that could just as easily have been found on restaurant menus in the 1960's and earlier are fuddy-duddy. A brief look at MDR menus immediately turns up items such as duck a l'orange, steak diane, beef wellington, plain grilled steaks and chops, grilled fish (maybe with a nut coating), shrimp scampi, chicken kiev, chateaubriand, shrimp cocktail, veal cordon bleu, chicken alfredo, oysters rockfeller, cherries jubilee, crepes suzette, onion soup, cream of chicken anything, and on and on and on. BORING BORING BORING. Can baked alaska be far away? That is not to say that some of these aren't good from time to time; I enjoy such things occasionally. The problem is that they practically define the menu. An endless parade of boredom. I understand why they do it, but there are a few folks who cruise and who got past dishes like that a long time ago, at least as a steady diet. That's why I suggested perhaps switching away from the single MDR model to having a few restaurants with differing menus might be a good idea. Those who wish to eat strictly in the past can do so while others can occasionally be treated to something a little more up-to-date, without having to pay extra in a specialty. To each his own.

My mention of the 1990's wasn't a literal suggestion. I was being cheeky, only implying that perhaps some cuisine that was considered current, say, 20 years ago might be preferable to that which was all the rage 50+ years ago.

While those items may still exist I was pleasantly surprised at the menu on Connie in May. Most cruises we avoid the dining room but my last two cruises on X we've been impressed with the MDR menus and found them quite current.

What dishes did you have in mind, that would be popular? I'm mindful of how poorly received the Top Chef night is by many cruisers.

There's a reason why some of the dishes you mention. remain on menus on land as well as sea (and in very good restaurants) it's because they remain popular and profitable.

As for doing away with the MDR concept and having smaller restaurants I read recently that RCL have "reimagined" their Dynamic Dining. In effect they have abandoned the concept and reverted to a Classics Menu changing daily in all four restaurants that used to offer the fixed menu dynamic dining concept.

As for doing away with the MDR concept and having smaller restaurants I read recently that RCL have "reimagined" their Dynamic Dining. In effect they have abandoned the concept and reverted to a Classics Menu changing daily in all four restaurants that used to offer the fixed menu dynamic dining concept.

Indeed they have, and that was because it was the source of much dissatisfaction.

I could see them adding additional smaller complimentary and pay venues, and possibly moving to 2 single level MDR spaces (that big hole hole in the middle of a multiple level MDR eats up a LOT of floor space they are going to need!).

<EEK> single level Dining Rooms, no or reduced Atrium space.....

Seems so much focus on regaining non suite space that these ships will be dark and dingy and nothing like the Light, Bright and Airy S class ships we are so fond of. And expect them to improve further with the E class.

Im hoping they don't reduce the balcony size as seen on the newer Princess ships. The S class balcony's are a generous size where should you have snuck one onboard, you could swing a cat with ease [emoji13]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps you think they're boring but they are there for the masses not just the few. I seriously doubt that many people think all those options on a cruise ship are boring. If you want something really, really special, perhaps that should be offered in the Specialties.

I laughed when I saw the 90s reference. It will never happen but I wish those who never experienced it could have eaten on a Celebrity ship in the 90s. The MDR experience then was better in terms of food and service than any of the Specialty restaurants currently on Celebrity ships. This was EVERY NIGHT. Two words Michel Roux

So, nothing new about the Edge, then.

There is a lot of new speculation. And a lot of complaining based on that speculation. After all, why bother to wait until the ships are actually built to start complaining when people can complain about them well before the details are even revealed! :D

There is a lot of new speculation. And a lot of complaining based on that speculation. After all, why bother to wait until the ships are actually built to start complaining when people can complain about them well before the details are even revealed! :D

And then you have people complaining about people complaining. :D

Congratulations [emoji849][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm English, living in England and legally own shotguns and rifles. ;) :)

Hardly useful to the debate. UK gun law is strictly controlled and restricted. Owning guns is not something to brag about.

Hardly useful to the debate. UK gun law is strictly controlled and restricted. Owning guns is not something to brag about.

So, REALLY nothing of value being discussed. [emoji12]

Edited by merlin5353

Yet you chose to debate it out of context. :D :rolleyes:

Do you have anything useful to contribute to the Edge debate?

Now that's not strictly true is it. We know it's name. The gross tonnage, length and width. I suppose one of those is semi useful! :D

Yup and Royal Caribbean is building it for its subsidiary Celebrity. You do realize that while it is being built the speculation will start in earnest as to which M class ship leaves first.