Why doesn't the ESCAPE go to GSC

drneal

Probably because the ship is too big for the "Port".... there is no "dock" and you have to be tendered to the beach. DH and I are not "beach people", so it's no loss for us, as it is basically a beach hangout day.

Does anyone know why the ESCAPE doesn't go to Great Stirrup Cay?

It will in 2018(ncl.com):

SHIP Norwegian Escape

CRUISE PORTS EMBARK New York; Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral); Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas); Nassau (Bahamas); DISEMBARK New York

Edited by Nola26

And 12 times from mid May through mid October it will visit Harvest Caye this year, which is a new and improved version of GSC that has a dock. The only positive for GSC over Harvest Cay is that the UBP works there.

That's because GSC is a private island and Harvest Cay is a destination.

Probably because the ship is too big for the "Port".... there is no "dock" and you have to be tendered to the beach. DH and I are not "beach people", so it's no loss for us, as it is basically a beach hangout day.

The ship is not too big.

The breakaway (which is a sister ship of similar size) and Epic (which is of similar size) call on GSC weekly during their Caribbean season. Just a matter of having ships that call on different ports. Many would prefer a "real" port vs. being "captive" on a NCL island.

Edited by BirdTravels

The ship is not too big.

The breakaway (which is a sister ship of similar size) and Epic (which is of similar size) call on GSC weekly during their Caribbean season. Just a matter of having ships that call on different ports. Many would prefer a "real" port vs. being "captive" on a NCL island.

Not when the "real" port is Nassau. What a dump that place is.

That's a new one... didn't realize a ship that sails in the ocean is too big to park in the ocean. hmmm:rolleyes:

I have heard a Captain say (during a Q&A) that the larger ships do have potential issues with tender ports just because there are so many more people to tender off and on. While there are some ports with relatively large tenders available, it still takes a rather large portion of the day to get everyone off and back on.

It's not that the ship is too large to dock, it's that there are too many people to move efficiently.

I would rather call on GSC than Nassau, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And 12 times from mid May through mid October it will visit Harvest Caye this year, which is a new and improved version of GSC that has a dock. The only positive for GSC over Harvest Cay is that the UBP works there.

Well and if your snorkelers like us, GSC has some great snorkeling right off the beach and Harvest Cay doesn't have any.

I have heard a Captain say (during a Q&A) that the larger ships do have potential issues with tender ports just because there are so many more people to tender off and on. While there are some ports with relatively large tenders available, it still takes a rather large portion of the day to get everyone off and back on. It's not that the ship is too large to dock, it's that there are too many people to move efficiently. I would rather call on GSC than Nassau, for sure.

Well,,,, GSC does have large, private, NCL tenders to move passengers to/from the island. GSC also has cargo tenders to move food and bar stock to the island. While there is no dock for the ship, the island is set up to handle big ships. And,,, they have built a tender dock which is a vast improvement of trying to land the tenders on the beach.

I love the tenders used at GSC...the Little Norway I and II, which are the last remnants of NCL's beloved SS Norway...:cool:

Found this cool link telling their details....

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/norwegian-cruise-line/ss-norway/ss-norway---little-norway.html

Me too! I just went through a bunch of old photos and found our honeymoon pics from the Norway (2002). And on one of her tenders!

It was awesome last year on Jade to get to revisit those little tenders

*nostalgia*

I would love to see a mainstream cruise line be the first to occasionally have a seven day cruise to nowhere. Just relax and enjoy the ship for a week.

There is no one forcing you to leave the ship at any port. You can just relax and enjoy your ship for a week. In fact, the ships are very peaceful while in port with the majority of passengers on shore.

There are ports, like Nassau (where we have been too many times), where we will get off the ship, walk along the main street for exercise, then be back on the ship long before lunch and enjoy the quite of an empty ship.

A cruise to nowhere would have tax and revenue implications making them unprofitable,,, the closest you're going to get is a TA with the majority of the cruise being sea days.

The ship is not too big.

It is my understanding that the private island concept was devised to offer a safer environment for the many passengers who had issues with some of the ports.

Well,,,, GSC does have large, private, NCL tenders to move passengers to/from the island. GSC also has cargo tenders to move food and bar stock to the island. While there is no dock for the ship, the island is set up to handle big ships. And,,, they have built a tender dock which is a vast improvement of trying to land the tenders on the beach.

We were just at GSC on the Getaway and we still had the tenders that remind me of WWII landing craft - they open the platform and dump you on the beach. We saw the tender dock, but we didn't use it.

GSC is not as much of a problem as some of the other islands where you tender (think Belize, which is one reason for Harvest Caye) and 4500 people all need to be off by 9am for their private excursion.

With a private island, I think people do come and go more since there aren't as many planned activities. We did snorkeling at GSC but it was really just equipment rental. However, waiting for the next tender can get really annoying.

I have heard a Captain say (during a Q&A) that the larger ships do have potential issues with tender ports just because there are so many more people to tender off and on. While there are some ports with relatively large tenders available, it still takes a rather large portion of the day to get everyone off and back on.

It's not that the ship is too large to dock, it's that there are too many people to move efficiently.

I would rather call on GSC than Nassau, for sure.

Thats what I thought but the Getaway goes there and they have 3,963 passengers compared to the Escapes 4,266.

More interesting is how many negative responses Nassau gets.

I usually hang around the ship when we go to Nassau. Maybe I'll get some Wave Runners at Cabbage beach.

All things considered I'd rather go to GSC, especially if I have the unlimited beverage package.

GSC was cancelled on me last year when I was on the Getaway due to the Gronk party boat going there.

Hey NCL are you hearing this?