Bring bicycle onboard to ride at the port?

chong67

Has anyone bring your bicycle onboard to ride at the port?

What if I pack my bicycle inside a bicycle suitcase? Can I bring it then?

(You can pack it into a bicycle suitcase and check in on a airplane).

You'd have to check with your specific cruise line to see if they allow bicycles to be brought onboard. Some do, some don't.

Trans-Atlantic cruise in 2015 with HAL had bicyclers wheel their bikes up the gangway. They rode em' around at several Ports-o-Call in Europe. Walked them into the elevator and kept them in their stateroom. Not hearsay, I saw it. LocoLoco1

Bicycles are listed under Carnival's "Additional Prohibited Items, Exemption, and Other Considerations" as being prohibited, even folding bicycles. Check the other lines. Sometimes, special groups will get permission to bring things like this onboard, like the motorcycle cruises. Bicycles are on HAL's prohibited list.

Edited by chengkp75

• 4 months later...

Have cruised with HAL and have brought our bicycles on board with the stipulation by Ship Services at the time reservations were made that bicycles are stored in your cabin. We were planning our retirement years to travel the world with our touring bicycles (actually "luggage carriers" when boarding and checking into hotels) using HAL's repositioning cruise. As of last August (or May 2016, depending on HAL contact), Holland America Lines has classified bicycles as a prohibited item. I have tried to inquire as to the reason to no avail. I initially want to understand the reasoning for the change in policy. There are a few other lines that allow bicycles, however we have an "investment" with the Mariners Society. We are respectful of other passengers and property on board (as well in every day living). I have offered to sign waivers, insurance and discuss and have only received a "canned" response. I would be curious to know if others have had this experience either as a cyclist or as a passenger observing a cyclist on board. I am still trying to obtain answers, hopefully from Mr Orlando Ashford. Thank you for your input.

There are cruise lines providing bicycles and a bicycle guide for organized tours. Hapag Lloyd's ship Europa 2 has such bike tours. It is a luxury line, however, with a steep price attached. There are also river cruise lines that provide bikes.

Right. Check if bicycles are prohibited. Understand if you do bring them that you don't have much space in your room. On our last norwegian cruise they had a set of bicycles they kept in the storage area and had a bike tour as an excursion in every port. That might be another option if bringing yours doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trans-Atlantic cruise in 2015 with HAL had bicyclers wheel their bikes up the gangway. They rode em' around at several Ports-o-Call in Europe. Walked them into the elevator and kept them in their stateroom. Not hearsay, I saw it. LocoLoco1

That was true in 2015 but as of last year HAL no longer allows bicycles to be brought aboard.

That was true in 2015 but as of last year HAL no longer allows bicycles to be brought aboard.

They allow handicapped scooters on board which take a lot of space, clutter up the dining room, clutter up the showroom, are driven by people who sometimes have no idea how to control them and which take up half of the room in an elevator. They do not allow a bicycle that is kept in your cabin while you are on the ship and which is often folded and kept in a suitcase. Does that make any sense to anyone.

I will bet that the reason that they have stopped allowing them on the ship is that some idiot decided that they were going to ride their bicycle on the upper jogging track on the ship and rather than dealing with the specific problem, they decided to avoid the issue by banning them totally.

DON

They allow handicapped scooters on board which take a lot of space, clutter up the dining room, clutter up the showroom, are driven by people who sometimes have no idea how to control them and which take up half of the room in an elevator. They do not allow a bicycle that is kept in your cabin while you are on the ship and which is often folded and kept in a suitcase. Does that make any sense to anyone.

I will bet that the reason that they have stopped allowing them on the ship is that some idiot decided that they were going to ride their bicycle on the upper jogging track on the ship and rather than dealing with the specific problem, they decided to avoid the issue by banning them totally.

DON

This is a frequent reason for a cruiseline to institute new rules - some idiot takes advantage of a situation, causes an issue, and boom, new rule.

I have never considered this before. I think this is a fantastic concept. I can think of a lot of ports where getting around on a bicycle would be a lot of fun. If you can't bring your own, maybe rentals are possible.

DON

More likely the Promenade Deck. :D

DON

Or, somebody brought a bicycle into their cabin and then found that it blocked their path to the bathroom. Then they wanted to keep it in the hall or by the elevators. It's bad enough when scooter users try to do this.

Or, somebody brought a bicycle into their cabin and then found that it blocked their path to the bathroom. Then they wanted to keep it in the hall or by the elevators. It's bad enough when scooter users try to do this.

Whenever I find a scooter left in the hall, I go to the front desk and complain. I state my complaint as a safety hazard which will block the hall in the case of an emergency. Most of the time is works and the scooter disappears.

DON

I'm still trying to figure out what "we have an investment in the Mariners Society" means and what that has to do with being allowed to take bycicles on a cruise ship?

We have been on a cruise where we watched probably 50 people leave the ship on bycicles as a special group at each port.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app