Yellow fever requirements for cruise

highlands1234

So 8 days before we are set to embark, I received a booking notification that upset me to put it mildly. It is quoted below.

**Important Reminder - Yellow Fever Vaccination**

We hope you are looking forward to joining us on board. We would just like to take a final opportunity to remind you that a yellow fever

vaccination is required for this cruise. Failure to provide a valid International Vaccination Certificate may result in you being denied boarding or

being asked to leave the ship before the relevant port of call. The vaccination must be given 10 days before entering a yellow fever area in order

for it to be effective and valid. If yellow fever vaccination is contraindicated for medical reasons an exemption can be issued by your Medical

Practitioner and this must be brought with you to the ship. Local Port Health Officials will then decide if a vaccination waiver can be issued. The

exemption should be either detailed in a headed letter or recorded in the International Certificate of Vaccination. It should be signed by the

clinician and include the practice stamp. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Now of course I double checked all vaccination requirements before booking, from the CDC, WHO, and even the Cunard VP vaccination requirements. There are no requirements, unless arriving from certain countries. Now one of the port stops BEFORE Brazil (Barbados) requires proof of yellow fever if we were coming from Brazil, but we are going to Brazil AFTER. We then disembark in Rio. So I know there are no requirements for our part of the world cruise regarding yellow fever vaccinations. I cannot call Cunard right now (will call first thing tomorrow) but the only reason I can think that I received this is because its part of a world cruise which then goes on to Pitcairn island which would require the yellow fever vaccination since you would then be coming from Brazil.

I HIGHLY doubt you will actually set foot on Pitcairn Island. The people who live on the island will come to you on the ship. I've been there and there is virtually no dock for people to get off on and a long and steep walk up a hill to get to the main part of the island. Think reality here - there are only about 110 people who live on the island. Do you think they are capable of handling over 2000 extra people on the island??!!

I HIGHLY doubt you will actually set foot on Pitcairn Island. The people who live on the island will come to you on the ship. I've been there and there is virtually no dock for people to get off on and a long and steep walk up a hill to get to the main part of the island. Think reality here - there are only about 110 people who live on the island. Do you think they are capable of handling over 2000 extra people on the island??!!

No we won't be setting foot on Pitcairn - Ive done this trip before and they come out to the ship. I think the current population is 53.

The question however about the Vaccination however is more to do with going to Brasil and especially up the Amazon. It is my understanding that the Vaccination is required - I certainly had it when we did it in 2004 , its valid for 5 years so wasn't going to have it again this trip. If i was the OP I would get onto it pretty quick to confirm either way but as far as Im aware it is required.

If Im proved wrong Im sorry but it would be better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck.....

Rosque,

You are correct I am not going to Pitcairn island, and that is one of the reasons I know the yellow fever shot is not required. This cruise is only visiting Barbados and Brazil and is embarking from the States. Barbados is first then Brazil. Barbados and Brazil only require the yellow fever vaccine if coming from certain countries. The United States is not one. And Brazil is AFTER Barbados.

A couple other comments/questions.

I know people will say just get the shot, here are some numbers though.

There were 0 reported cases of yellow fever in 2016 in brazil, out of a population of 200 million. Whereas, 1 out of 200,000 people who get the vaccine get viscerotropic disease with a 60% mortality rate. So seems like the odds are better to not get it.

On that note, thinking down the road, if i go to a country that requires a yellow fever vaccine because I have been to Brazil, what is the time limit on that? I cant find any info on that? Is it a week, 6 months, a lifetime? In particular I am curious about the costa rica requirement and Australia. According to the CDC, it states proof of vaccination is only required when ARRIVING from a country like Brazil. Which to me sounds like a short term (1 week requirement). To me that makes sense.

Edited by highlands1234

Rosque,

You are correct I am not going to Pitcairn island, and that is one of the reasons I know the yellow fever shot is not required. This cruise is only visiting Barbados and Brazil and is embarking from the States. Barbados is first then Brazil. Barbados and Brazil only require the yellow fever vaccine if coming from certain countries. The United States is not one. And Brazil is AFTER Barbados.

There were 0 reported cases of yellow fever in 2016 in brazil, out of a population of 200 million. Whereas, 1 out of 200,000 people who get the vaccine get viscerotropic disease with a 60% mortality rate. So seems like the odds are better to not get it.

On that note, thinking down the road, if i go to a country that requires a yellow fever vaccine because I have been to Brazil, what is the time limit on that? I cant find any info on that? Is it a week, 6 months, a lifetime? In particular I am curious about the costa rica requirement and Australia. According to the CDC, it states proof of vaccination is only required when ARRIVING from a country like Brazil. Which to me sounds like a short term (1 week requirement). To me that makes sense.

Hi Highlands, the only other time Ive been asked about yellow fever was when we went to Zambia. .... that was when I was told the shot had a 5 year life so maybe thats the time limit.

Unfortunately you are off before Im on so I would be interested in the outcome if you care to keep us informed....good luck.

ps...you'll love the trip...shes a great ship and the itin was very attractive.

HIGHLANDS--- we must be on the same " boat" --- for 2 reasons... !

I join QV in FLL on 1/16 & yesterday, I too rec'd. the NOTICE from CUNARD on the Y-F vaccination requirement.

Somewhere in the past, I'd seen some info on the whole subject, so I have a "doctors note" stating the vaccination was not recommended for me.

CDC in the USA cautions those over 60 RE: taking the vaccine.

If you need to deal with a international travel medical immunization company,

( & maybe at this late date, you do ) ~~~~~

~~~ SafeGard Travel Medicine ~~~~ can work with your local pharmacy and it all can be done in less than 24 hrs.

*********** oh no.... I've spoken of an actual company. Will I be banned to OUTER Mongolia immediately ?****

And i did not mis-spell SafeGard........ its not a typo. Its correct.

Hope this helps.

Hihilo,

I understand its the amazon, but its not required, for all of Brazil, whether you are in Rio or Manaus, thats the point. Thanks for the info on Travelgard.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/cruise_ship.extended_student/brazil?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-single-001

Edited by highlands1234

I have been up the Amazon to Manaus. They are very strict and you will need a Y-FRONTS vaccination. Last time I went they vaccinated everyone on board whether or not they already had had the vaccination.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha Ha Ha bloody spell check changed YF to YFronts. Brilliant. Best spell check cock up I have done so far ha ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was wondering whether you would be able to edit it in time ! Do you want me to correct it ?

Just a note. Yellow fever shot is valid for ten years.

I was told in most cases now, the certificate is valid for life. There may be the odd area where a booster is recommended and some countries may not yet be up to speed with the new WHO directive, in which case it's a good idea to print out the latest guidance.

• 3 weeks later...
YF vaccination used to be 10 yearly. In July 2016 WHO changed this to life coverage.

The vaccine is effective 10 days from administration.

In 1969 I spent 6 months in Zambia visiting some very remote areas, before

the trip I was required to have the following vaccines.

1\ Dysentry

2\Typhoid and para typhoid,

3\Yellow fever.

4\ Cholera.

5\ I also had to produce proof that I had been vaccinated against Smallpox.

I have no idea how long any of the above are valid for although I seem to

remember Cholera was just for 6 months.

If anyone can enlighten me of the period they are valid for I would be interested. If not I will ask my GP although I am reluctant to bother him at this busy time of year.

In 1969 I spent 6 months in Zambia visiting some very remote areas, before

the trip I was required to have the following vaccines.

1\ Dysentry

3\Yellow fever.

4\ Cholera.

If anyone can enlighten me of the period they are valid for I would be interested. If not I will ask my GP although I am reluctant to bother him at this busy time of year.

Most vaccines offer a time limited immunity although as I have previously said, the Y.F. is now considered, for all/most areas of the world to offer life time cover.

However, no-one knows for sure if your Y.F. vaccine of nearly fifty years ago qualifies and as for the others, boosters are needed as and when your health professional stipulates. You need to go to a travel clinic/your health practice.

As a matter of course, we keep our jabs up to date and have specific ones such as Rabies/Japanese Encephalitis etc. when travel requires.

Because of the possible side effects of the YF vaccine, at our age, we avoid going to places where the YF shot is required. We were told that we could get a doctor's certificate exempting us from this shot, by why put yourself in harms way at all.

We continue to travel all the world with the exception of places like the Amazon.

I was required to have the following vaccines.

1\ Dysentry

3\Yellow fever.

4\ Cholera.

Our Practice Nurse usually can answer all these, but the latest data I have is:

Cholera 2 years

Diphtheria 10 years

Hepatitis A Infinite

Influenza 1 year

Malaria short

Meningitis 3 years

Pneumonia 1 year

Polio 10 years

Tetanus 10 years

Typhoid 3 years

Yellow Fever Infinite

Hope this helps

Check out the web sites of Pan America Health Org., World Health Org, Foreign and Commonwealth Office for U.K.

The update states 'An outbreak of yellow fever is ongoing in Brazil'

This was first reported 2 days ago.

Latest recent update on vaccine is that it lasts for life and not 5 or 10 years.

Enjoy your travels and stay safe.

2aran,

I saw that notice and chuckled to myself. It figures it would happen right when I was going down with no YF shot, just my luck! I ended up getting out of the cruise (glad I did with the recent outbreak, guess I was lucky there actually). With the current outbreak I would want a YF shot before going to the amazon.

Think I will just travel as lewilewi is, avoiding south american (except chile, and some others parts of the coast) and definitely avoiding central Africa.

We, too, cancelled a cruise this year that included up the Amazon because our international travel doc said either get the vaccine or stay home. It is a live vaccine and is contraindicated for over-60 folks like us. With the recent outbreak I'm very happy about our decision--hard as it was to give up this particular cruise. Saw on BBC crawl the other night that Brazil gov't just order 11.5 million doses of the vaccine....

• 1 month later...
Rosque,

Apparently, the situation has changed:

"Over the past several weeks, a yellow fever outbreak has broken out in the Brazilian states of Minas Gerais, Espírito Santo, and São Paulo. The vast majority of these cases are confined to rural areas, where people primarily contract the disease by coming into contact with mosquitoes. Since December 2016, there have been 234 cases and 80 confirmed deaths, signifying an alarming mortality rate. There are There are hundreds of cases currently under investigation. According to the NIAID, the number of cases is disproportionately high compared to previous years in these areas..." copied from http://gizmodo.com/oh-great-another-awful-tropical-disease-we-have-to-wor-1793160682

What that means in terms of requirements for vaccination, I don't know - I just thought some might be interested in the update.

Salacia

The efficacy of the Yellow Fever vaccine was thought to be 10 years, but recently was changed to lifetime protection in 99% of people.

The biggest change in this outbreak is that the cases are getting closer to metropolitan areas. When it was limited to rural areas, it was mostly transmitted to forest animals, and humans were an incidental host. Now it is moving toward populated areas where people have never been exposed naturally or vaccinated. There is also concern of transmission within the US gulf states because of the host the A. aegypti mosquito.

Information from The New England Journal of Medicine

Ricki

Edited by ricki