Hotel suggestion in Rome

Welland

I'll just say that the area around Termini just sets off my "spidey-sense." I know that cruisemom has stayed around there and is OK with it. I'm just not. I'm OK in the daytime there when I have to go to/from Termini to get somewhere else. I've even walked from there to the St. Regis and the Westin, but only in the daytime.

Plus, if I had to be at the airport by 7:30am, I'm staying at the FCO Hilton. I'm not a morning person and I sure don't want to get up at o'dark o'clock to make that drive. I much prefer the little extra sleep and make the 10 minute walk to the terminal from the Hilton ;)

I'll just say that the area around Termini just sets off my "spidey-sense." I know that cruisemom has stayed around there and is OK with it. I'm just not. I'm OK in the daytime there when I have to go to/from Termini to get somewhere else. I've even walked from there to the St. Regis and the Westin, but only in the daytime.

Plus, if I had to be at the airport by 7:30am, I'm staying at the FCO Hilton. I'm not a morning person and I sure don't want to get up at o'dark o'clock to make that drive. I much prefer the little extra sleep and make the 10 minute walk to the terminal from the Hilton ;)

I appreciate your input. I was hoping we'd have some time our last evening to walk around and enjoy Rome one last night. FCO Hilton doesn't allow us to do that....but I am also concerned about the Hotel Selene I've selected. If anyone else has a better suggestion I'd appreciate hearing it. We arrive back in Rome in the afternoon and have to be at FCO airport by 7:30 am the next morning. We are OK with getting up early - but want to be relatively safe and not overly stressed getting there. :)

SaveSave

I've stayed near Termini 3 times in situations like yours -- it's fine. I've walked back to my hotel at 10:00 pm after dinner. Like any city, best if you stick to well-lighted large streets.

I have no input on the hotel you chose, but have stayed at UNA hotel twice because of its good location very close to Termini (so you don't have to drag your bags far). It's a large-ish hotel, somewhat American in style with large rooms for Rome and fairly recently redone. Great breakfast, if you have time to enjoy it.

I've stayed near Termini 3 times in situations like yours -- it's fine. I've walked back to my hotel at 10:00 pm after dinner. Like any city, best if you stick to well-lighted large streets.

I have no input on the hotel you chose, but have stayed at UNA hotel twice because of its good location very close to Termini (so you don't have to drag your bags far). It's a large-ish hotel, somewhat American in style with large rooms for Rome and fairly recently redone. Great breakfast, if you have time to enjoy it.

If cruisemom says it's an OK hotel, I'd take her word for it. Many times we agree on things and sometimes we disagree. But, I trust and respect her reviews and opinions. Now that I have to start paying my own way at hotels instead of getting great employee deals through my former employers, I am going to pay attention to her recommendations ;)

I appreciate the input very much! Unfortunately Una hotel is not available on the date we need in September. I'm open for other recommendations from anyone near Termini Station :)

What does anyone know of the Hotel Smeraldo? We're looking at booking three rooms there next year.

Thanks,

Ray

We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo a few years ago. We enjoyed our stay but it does depend on what room they assign you. Some are very nice and some are very small and not standard layout. We had 4 rooms when we stayed. Our room had queen bed but you immediately stepped down 3 steps AFTER you opened the door to the room. The bathroom was long and skinny without enough room to pass each other. The other rooms seemed more open but all had quirks. We did enjoy our stay and at that time, they served a nice breakfast upstairs.

We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo a few years ago. We enjoyed our stay but it does depend on what room they assign you. Some are very nice and some are very small and not standard layout. We had 4 rooms when we stayed. Our room had queen bed but you immediately stepped down 3 steps AFTER you opened the door to the room. The bathroom was long and skinny without enough room to pass each other. The other rooms seemed more open but all had quirks. We did enjoy our stay and at that time, they served a nice breakfast upstairs.

Thanks for the info. They grade their rooms as Small, Classic, Superior, and Superior w/balcony. We've booked Classic, for 2 nights. Do you know which type of rooms you had? The roof-top lounge area looks like a nice touch. Is that where they served breakfast?

Also, some Classic rooms are in an annex. We've requested the main building.

Ray

Our group booked 9 rooms at Argentina Style Hotel in May and everyone raved about this place.

Nothing short of fantastic!!! Large, charming, recently renovated rooms. All the modern conveniences with historical touches throughout. Breakfast included, courtyard-facing rooms, centrally located, exceptional service and reasonable prices. We woudl return in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info. They grade their rooms as Small, Classic, Superior, and Superior w/balcony. We've booked Classic, for 2 nights. Do you know which type of rooms you had? The roof-top lounge area looks like a nice touch. Is that where they served breakfast?

Also, some Classic rooms are in an annex. We've requested the main building.

Ray

I don't have the records anymore regarding what type of rooms we booked. I definitely recommend the hotel and am sure you will have an enjoyable stay there. We were in the main building.

I don't have the records anymore regarding what type of rooms we booked. I definitely recommend the hotel and am sure you will have an enjoyable stay there. We were in the main building.

Thanks! We'll stick with it. I like the location too.

Ray

Anyone have any input or past experience with Dharma Hotel or Hotel Diocleziano in Rome near Termini Station? ~Joyce

Both are well located in regards to Termini station. I've heard good things about Hotel Diocleziano, can't say I have heard anything about Hotel Dharma. But I'd look at reviews on other sites before deciding...

Both are well located in regards to Termini station. I've heard good things about Hotel Diocleziano, can't say I have heard anything about Hotel Dharma. But I'd look at reviews on other sites before deciding...

Thanks. Yes I'm driving myself crazy reading reviews - haha. (Una is full on the night we need). I'm leaning towards Diocleziano as well. Just stumbled upon a newer hotel Gioberti Art Hotel. It's right across the street from Termini Station and although reviews are more limited they are good. Anyone have any feedback on that one? ~Joyce

Have enjoyed all of the excellent posts and sharing of information. We will be arriving in Rome post-cruise on a Saturday morning & spending two nights. Has anyone stayed at or heard anything about "The Independent Hotel" and/or "The Britania Hotel"? Interested to hear about both the hotels themselves but also their location and areas. Thanks to everyone!!

Have enjoyed all of the excellent posts and sharing of information. We will be arriving in Rome post-cruise on a Saturday morning & spending two nights. Has anyone stayed at or heard anything about "The Independent Hotel" and/or "The Britania Hotel"? Interested to hear about both the hotels themselves but also their location and areas. Thanks to everyone!!

They both look like they are owned or run by the same company and are located either next to each other or in the same building, near Termini.

There's nothing great about the location. Is there a particular reason you want to be near the train station? For more than one night, I'd look elsewhere....

They both look like they are owned or run by the same company and are located either next to each other or in the same building, near Termini.

There's nothing great about the location. Is there a particular reason you want to be near the train station? For more than one night, I'd look elsewhere....

----

Hi, no specific reasons other than I had seen them mentioned in other threads and The Independent looks nice. The Britannia is about .5 mile to the west & up the block from Hotel Artemide (only know of it as my brother once stayed there). I have no real need to be near Termini & am really simply looking for a nice (of course clean & comfortable) place in the 'best location' for our two days in Rome. We will arrive via a Viking Ocean cruise on a Saturday morning and flying out Monday morning.

Appreciate any insight you and others may offer...!!

Have you considered airbnb? We loved our experience in Rome.

Carolyn,

Where did you stay for the airbnb? We are definitely looking into that for Rome. Our cruise is next May leaving from Rome and we want to spend a few days there first. Thanks!

After much research and consternation we booked Vittoriano Luxury Suites near the Pantheon for about $168/night all-in including taxes, fees, wi-fi, and breakfast. We booked 3 nights. They are also very responsive to emails. Have not stayed there yet. They are in a great location, are fairly new, and get really good reviews.

Carolyn,

Where did you stay for the airbnb? We are definitely looking into that for Rome. Our cruise is next May leaving from Rome and we want to spend a few days there first. Thanks!

We stayed in a VRBO last month - great location. It was on Via Biancchi Nuovi - near Piazza Navona. This time around we are renting one in June. Take a look at those sites and just read the reviews that people put. It is so nice to come back to a place with more than one room to relax in.

Carolyn,

We booked an Airbnb for September in the Lazio area. Very close to metro A so transportation will be easy from Termini and into central Rome. We wanted to see some areas outside of central Rome. The area is less touristy, the prices are more reasonable, and we get a chance eat at the apartment should we want. The response and owner and the ratings from the previous renters is five star. You can check out "Casanova" if you want - and I'll report back the end of September!

After much research and consternation we booked Vittoriano Luxury Suites near the Pantheon for about $168/night all-in including taxes, fees, wi-fi, and breakfast. We booked 3 nights. They are also very responsive to emails. Have not stayed there yet. They are in a great location, are fairly new, and get really good reviews.

How soon are you staying there? I would love to know how you like it, after your stay.

• 3 weeks later...
Hotel Canada, BW Premier in Rome--any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

I have no specific knowledge of the hotel but remember reading a positive post of two about it a few years ago -- if you do a search you may find it.

As to the location, I'd say it's not well located for sightseeing -- too far on the other side of Termini. Also, if your goal is to stay near Termini, there are a number of closer hotels.

Hotels like this one (and many others) around Termini -- just to give fair warning -- are often shoe-horned into buildings that might be 5-7 stories but only 2-3 stories belong to the hotel. Read reviews carefully. While most have elevators, the elevators are small and old (and sometimes out of commission), and check-in isn't always on the ground floor.