Music in Room - Amazon Echo

We are thinking about bringing our Amazon Echo with us to enjoy better quality sound in our room. We love ours and use it in the kitchen often.

Thoughts on this? Has anyone done this?

I don't remember what we used for music last cruise....maybe the television. I know we aren't in the room much but we do like to hear music when we are there.

Edited by MrsDowFire
spelling correction

Amazon Echo requires the use of WiFi to stream the music. Even if you have unlimited WiFi on board the speed of the WiFi could cause issues with streaming the music.

I'd recommend music on a iPod or your phone and buying a Bluetooth speaker. No charge for using Bluetooth from your iPod or phone (and keep phone in airplane mode to avoid data charges).

It would be easier just to bring a bluetooth speaker. The Echo wants a constant wifi connection which you would need to pay for.

Also I think getting it connected to the ship's wifi would be more than difficult.

Amazon Echo requires the use of WiFi to stream the music. Even if you have unlimited WiFi on board the speed of the WiFi could cause issues with streaming the music.

I'd recommend music on a iPod or your phone and buying a Bluetooth speaker. No charge for using Bluetooth from your iPod or phone (and keep phone in airplane mode to avoid data charges).

At under $100, the JLB Flip 3 blue tooth speaker has consistently stellar reviews from all sorts of audiophile resources. We auditioned a ton of these type of small speakers and nothing came close to the Flip 3. Comes with case and USB charging cord.

Do, however, be kind to your neighbors: watch the volume and please don't use it in your balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do, however, be kind to your neighbors: watch the volume and please don't use it in your balcony.

Also, don't bring them to the pool deck.

On our last Harmony cruise, someone brought theirs to the solarium, and played a loud, entire symphony. Rather than cause a scene, many fellow passengers, just got up and moved. When it was over, he walked about six chairs away, and asked that individual if he could heat it OK. Apparently they talked about this selection of music, and he was sharing it with the fellow passenger (and everyone else in the Solarium) :(

On our last Harmony cruise, someone brought theirs to the solarium, and played a loud, entire symphony. Rather than cause a scene, many fellow passengers, just got up and moved. When it was over, he walked about six chairs away, and asked that individual if he could heat it OK. Apparently they talked about this selection of music, and he was sharing it with the fellow passenger (and everyone else in the Solarium) :(

We've had the exact same thing happen.....:mad::mad::mad:

I would have loved listening to a symphony, our daughter is a classical musician so we listen to it often. I realize not everyone has an appreciation for all genres of music. I would not have enjoyed rap or country. It is infringing on your fellow passengers space to bring a speaker to the pool.

At under $100, the JLB Flip 3 blue tooth speaker has consistently stellar reviews from all sorts of audiophile resources. We auditioned a ton of these type of small speakers and nothing came close to the Flip 3. Comes with case and USB charging cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please do be kind and considerate to your neighbors. On our last Allure cruise our neighbor blasted techno type music on his balcony daily. Needless to say, we were never able to enjoy the peace and quiet of being at sea from our balcony. On another cruise we ended up in an adjoining cabin and could hear the people talking right thru the door. I can't imagine what it would have been like if they played music.

Under Bluetooth Connectivity, the Echo's Technical Details state:

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Amazon Echo and Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices.

While WiFi may be required for many of Echo's other functions, it sounds to me like it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker for streaming music from your mobile device.

For clarity, airplane mode will turn off cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth on your phone. Bluetooth speakers therefore won't work in airplane mode. If you turn on airplane mode, you'll then need to turn Bluetooth back on manually. Alternatively, just turn off cellular data.