Valor delayed at Galveston - January 14

nazpaz

We cruised the Magic from Galveston last January, and while we didn't have fog, our return was delayed 8 hours due to 50-mph headwind and heavy seas. Before booking, I did a little research. Thanks to the archives of and help from Ross of cruisejunkie dot com slash events dot html, we found that statistically very few cruises are delayed by fog in Galveston (maybe one or two weekends a year). As I remember, January wasn't even the biggest month for fog delays.

Sadly, these statistics are on my home laptop or I'd post them here.

I'm heading on the Breeze this morning and I've heard there have been a few people that canceled their cruise and took the full refund because of the shortened 6 day cruise now.. My question is , with all the empty staterooms I'm hoping to maybe get a complimentary upgrade to one of those empty rooms.. what are my chances?? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm heading on the Breeze this morning and I've heard there have been a few people that canceled their cruise and took the full refund because of the shortened 6 day cruise now.. My question is , with all the empty staterooms I'm hoping to maybe get a complimentary upgrade to one of those empty rooms.. what are my chances?? [emoji848]

I'm sure carnival will gladly sell you an upgrade :)

Our local Houston Channel 13 news just said there will be no customs agents until tomorrow morning. Poor travelers :( We sat on the Liberty (RCI) overnight on December 26th due to fog but still managed to make 3 ports even though we had to switch one port completely.

Thats our government (not) at work ;)

I bet if it was a private company, they would have figured it out.

We were on Princess late February last year out of Houston on the same itinerary as Breeze lost a day due to fog. Princess substituted Costa Maya 12PM to 8PM instead of Roatan, and we did Belize and Cozumel as originally scheduled. So 3 port stops in a 6 day is quite doable and we enjoyed Costa Maya for a nice relaxing beach day.

Has anyone heard what happened to Freedom's itinerary after losing I am guessing a day and a half? Not sure what time they finally got underway.

Edited by James in SA

We were on Princess late February last year out of Houston on the same itinerary as Breeze lost a day due to fog. Princess substituted Costa Maya 12PM to 8PM instead of Roatan, and we did Belize and Cozumel as originally scheduled. So 3 port stops in a 6 day is quite doable and we enjoyed Costa Maya for a nice relaxing beach day.

Has anyone heard what happened to Freedom's itinerary after losing I am guessing a day and a half? Not sure what time they finally got underway.

I'm interested to know as well if Freedom cut out 1 of its ports. I checked the cruise cam at 11 pm last night and Freedom was still docked and getting final supplies loaded.

The Freedom did not depart until around midnight, but not sure exactly the time as I went to bed.

They were originally due to visit 3 ports (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel), but because the cruise was shortened to 6 days, Ocho Rios was dropped.

Edited by quantumleap
typo and clarification

I just got a message that because of fog Valor's arrival/departure at Galveston is being delayed today - no time estimate given. They asked that people not come to the terminal at their scheduled boarding times.

Fog in Galveston in winter...

That is just crazy talk...

Ambulance just pulled up to the Breeze.

I missed that! But the strange thing is, this is exactly what happened just after 4 PM last Sunday when the Breeze left! It didn't delay them, last week or today, since both times they pulled away at 4:30!

Was on the Breeze on January 8, 2017 and the last sea day the captain told us we would dembark on the January 14 (Sunday) around 10:30am. Half an hour later captain told use we would stay on an extra sea day due to fog plus two other Carnival ships have priority over us. Our 7 day turned into a 8 day cruise. People were freaking out because of their airfare arrangements. They did open up phone lines for us to call loved ones and change our travel plans.