Valor delayed at Galveston - January 14

nazpaz

Jan Feb March are the worst months that fog will appear.....we prefer the warmer months to sail ourselves from Galveston

Agree! This time of year is "buyer beware" because!!! Spring and Summer typically no issues sailing out of Galveston. I actually like the it's a much smaller port than the Florida ones. Easy to get in and out!!!!

Does anyone know why Vesselfinder shows Valor as stationary but Freedom as underway, circling? I'm curious as to why they would be using the fuel to circle.

It was reported upthread by someone onboard that the ship needs to make water.

Wow what a mess in Galveston. Now the Breeze has to wait until there is room for them in port. It can't handle 4 ships. According to the Carnival website the Breeze will also loose a day of cruising and only operate a 6 day cruise.

First they will service the Valor, then the Freedom, and finally the Breeze. A lot of people having their vacation disrupted. Hope they all get on soon and have a nice yet shorten cruise.

It's been clear most of the night, which allowed the three ships to dock, but it is just now starting to close in again out at the anchorage, so the ships may not be able to leave today. Galveston municipal water pressure will be taking a huge hit today as three ships vie to fill their tanks.

Wonder if they had any workers to start on all the unloading and reloading of supplies refueling etc. overnight on both ships? Luggage will be a nightmare as well since it was posted earlier that pax had received their luggage back last night. Had the same scenario back in 2011 on our first cruise only had 3 ships in at the same time then, they had the Ecstasy docked over where the Freedom is today I imagine. We were able to board the Conquest late but, spent the night at the dock. Ecstasy took a 2 or 3 day cruise to nowhere, we lost Jamaica and got our first taste of Progresso. Looking forward to boarding the Breeze next Sunday, hope the pax boarding today make the best of it and have a great cruise and NO FOG on their return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In hotel - waiting to board the Freedom - if she is docked at a location other than terminal #1 or #2 will passengers be able to board and those on board now be able to leave. Will they start debarking early since they are behind schedule. Not a whole lot of info from Carnival - I am sure someone on these boards would know.

When it started to clear last night around 10pm, they may have asked passengers to return their luggage outside the rooms. They will definitely be trying to disembark this morning from Freedom, just to get folks on their revised flights, but it will be chaos. I would be surprised if Freedom started boarding until late this afternoon at the earliest.

Both Freedom and RCI Liberty have bunker barges alongside now. They most likely can hire extra longshoremen to handle the luggage and storing the ships, so that shouldn't be a problem, but will likely be slower than normal.

Unfortunately, as I said in a post earlier this morning, it's closing in big time out here, about as thick as it was all day yesterday, so not sure if ships will be leaving today. If this fog sticks around, they may end up swapping Valor and Freedom once Valor finishes embarkation, to allow Freedom to embark, while no ships are leaving.

They will have to wait for port authorities to get set up this morning along with all dock hands, porters etc. What happened in 2011, they offloaded all pax from the Ecstasy then moved the ship over to another industrial pier much like you have at the ports you will visit. Then they pulled the Conquest over to process those passengers getting off then started processing the Ecstasy passengers getting on they the terminal and then bussing them over to the Ecstasy which was in sight but wouldn't be easily walked to. As they wrap up the Valor boarding they will start right in with the Freedom loading. In 2011 we waited in lines for 5 hours, it's going to be a long day if you can wait offsite as long as you can today until you get the text/email from Carnival only not friends and family.

It will require much patience today, please keep in mind that it is going to be even harder on the crew that is working their tails off today from the port authorities, porters, check-in crew, cabin stewards, guest services, etc. I can't begin to imagine how little sleep the crew on your ships has had overnight and it will be all hands on deck into the night tonight. Hope all pax boarding today can put themselves in their shoes today and not take out their frustration on them, they will be trying to muster up a welcome aboard smile for you through it all.

Waiting on Valor, DW and I headed up to the NASA area about 5p yesterday after driving and being in thick fog all day. I think we will stay up here until she begins loading. We're grateful for the updates from those there or in the know. Cannot imagine what this costs CCL or if it has insurance for this type of event. I feel for the crews for sure...

GO COWBOYS!!!!