Anthem - Cafe Promenade & Cafe 270

scoochy12

The coffee brands offered at each are different as well. 270 serves Lavazza coffee as the "free" coffee (and offeres specialty coffees for sale.) Café Promenade serves Seattle's Best. 270 offers a bunch of meal sized sandwiches, soups and meal sized salads that you can customize. They also have a dessert area and offer bags of chips. They have limited hours. Café Promenade is open 24 hours and offers tiny croissant or regular sandwiches that are snack size. They also offer a selection of sweets and cookies and occasionally macaroons.

Cafe Promenade on Anthem is really tiny. It's basically a small section off Sorrentos Pizza. Much more limited selection than other ships locations. It's definitely more geared towards the snack side of things. Park Cafe has a much broader selection of food stuffs. Enough to actually make a meal of it.

Is Seattle's Best Coffee free in the Promenade ?

I don't remember Seattle's Best in Cafe Promenade. It was just their normal coffee. I do remember La Patisserie across the Esplanade (Mall) sells Starbucks coffee (brewed and espresso drinks). Not free there though, but it IS part of the drink package if you have it.

Café 270 also offers the breakfast sandwiches with eggs meat and cheese. The coffee at the Promenade Café is free. I am pretty sure it was in Seattle's best urns, but I may be confusing the signs on the urns with the ones in the Windjammer. I am positive that the urns in Café 270 were labeled Lavazza (and the coffee at 270 was better than the other free coffee on the ship).

• 2 weeks later...

270 can get slow with long lineups because there's one formal entry point and as little as 1 server behind each station and there's more prep involved, like grilling your sandwich or customising your bagel vs Prom where they just hand you a pre-made pizza slice.

They should have more 270 staff or a way to bypass the line without being rude if you just want to go to the soup or salad section.

270 can get slow with long lineups because there's one formal entry point and as little as 1 server behind each station and there's more prep involved, like grilling your sandwich or customising your bagel vs Prom where they just hand you a pre-made pizza slice.

They should have more 270 staff or a way to bypass the line without being rude if you just want to go to the soup or salad section.

Whenever I've only wanted salad, I skipped the line. Didn't make sense to stand behind a bunch of people getting sandwiches while the salad line was empty. I hope that didn't make me rude! I honestly don't think anyone would have even noticed.

Whenever I've only wanted salad, I skipped the line. Didn't make sense to stand behind a bunch of people getting sandwiches while the salad line was empty. I hope that didn't make me rude! I honestly don't think anyone would have even noticed.

OMG, that was you? Just kidding, I did the same thing when no cruisers were at that station while clogged up at the others. Same with 2nd's for desserts but through the back way.

It's a bit trickier with soup because it's at the end of the sandwich line.

Happy cruising!

• 7 months later...

Coffee vs. "premium coffee".

I just concluded a mostly enjoyable cruise on Anthem of the Seas.

The non-premium coffee was weak, thin, and almost flavorless.

There are so many add-ons and up-sells (increasing over the years); but, having to pay extra for good coffee is predatory!

Considering the amount of money we all pay for a cruise, it is insulting and greedy to require a premium to obtain good coffee (or fresh OJ for that matter), merely because we are captive purchasers.

It is an abominable practice. Is it universal - on all cruise lines?

Could the posts recommending a beverage package or boosting the premium coffee, be planted by RCI employees?

Edited by fredrab77
add more

If selection is not important, avoid the Windjammer at all costs unless you are among the first to board. WJ is always out if control the first day and I just don't find it to be the atmosphere I want to start off a cruise with.

Get a Compass to see what other venues are open. I like Cafe 270 before the lines get long, but you can also eat in the Solarium Bistro which a lot of folks don't seem to know about. The Seaplex Doghouse is also open. The Cafe promenade can be good for grab and go. Pay venues that are open include Jaimie's and Johnny Rockets.

If you must eat in the WJ, go as far aft as you can for a more calm atmosphere and indoor seating if weather permits.