What procedures do you need to do to get off ship early?

dcl1710

We planned our Alaska cruise last year. Unfortunately, the family planned a surprise party on the last day of crude. We figure we can get off at Ketichican and get a flight to Seattle and get to where the party is being scheduled. Our question is: does Princess frown at this practice?

You may not be allowed to due to the PVSA. Is this a.one way cruise between Vancouver and Whittier or a round trip? Your first step is to call princess and explain what you would like to do. They will tell you if it's possible based on the itinerary. Flights will also be pricey.

We planned our Alaska cruise last year. Unfortunately, the family planned a surprise party on the last day of crude. We figure we can get off at Ketichican and get a flight to Seattle and get to where the party is being scheduled. Our question is: does Princess frown at this practice?

Call Princess.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You need permission in writing to do so, which may not be granted... if you do what you planned without permission you could face a fine. Check out.

Would encourage family to delay party.

It is Anchorage to Vancouver. I thought if I got off in Alaska it would be ok. But I knew CC would give me an answer so I did not have to attend the party. Thank you for the responses and we will stay on the ship until Vancouver. You guys are great!

It is Anchorage to Vancouver. I thought if I got off in Alaska it would be ok. But I knew CC would give me an answer so I did not have to attend the party. Thank you for the responses and we will stay on the ship until Vancouver. You guys are great!

Sounds like a call to Dr. Laura is in order.........:D:D;)

If you boarded in Vancouver, the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) wouldn't apply. Your cruise from Anchorage disembarks in Vancouver in which case the PVSA doesn't apply. But you cannot board in one US city (Anchorage) and disembark in another (Ketchikan) without going to a "far" foreign port. The nearest "far" foreign port is in South America.

So, it would be a violation of US law to board in Anchorage and disembark in Ketchikan. Princess cannot knowingly allow you to violate US law without major repercussions. If you decided to disembark anyway and not notify Princess, the charge will be $300/pp.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thanks for all of the responses. But no, I did want to go to the party but we told them a YEAR ago that this cruise was planned. We are going with 10 other people so it would be hard to reschedule. I was asking CC people if I had an "out" and I do not. People can schedule things for their own interests and if our plans don't work, it happens. Both occasions will be great , just have to chose one.

Thanks for all of the responses. But no, I did want to go to the party but we told them a YEAR ago that this cruise was planned. We are going with 10 other people so it would be hard to reschedule. I was asking CC people if I had an "out" and I do not. People can schedule things for their own interests and if our plans don't work, it happens. Both occasions will be great , just have to chose one.

You do have a valid reason for not being at the party. U.S. law will not allow you to board in Anchorage and disembark in Ketichican. Pam in CA provided the legal details of the law.

I wouldn't worry about whether or not Princess "frowns" on this. It's your vacation you're paying good money for and you should do what you'd like according to your plans. Certainly run it by Princess but when you do, instead of approaching it as if you're asking for permission, take charge of your time and tell them what you'd like to do and ask them how they can help facilitate you.

I wouldn't worry about whether or not Princess "frowns" on this. It's your vacation you're paying good money for and you should do what you'd like according to your plans. Certainly run it by Princess but when you do, instead of approaching it as if you're asking for permission, take charge of your time and tell them what you'd like to do and ask them how they can help facilitate you.
It's not that Princess frowns on this, it's that the U.S. government has declared it illegal.

Seriously? Ignore the law it's my cruise?

If Pam in MA and Colo Cruiser state it is illegal, I am listening to them and staying on the ship! I do not need any problems from the US Government. So thanks for the advice.

You did not know and asked the question. I guess I should not be surprised by some of the responses to your question. It seems to be a theme that is broadcast over and over on many different policies/rules/laws here on CC. :(

You CAN get off anywhere the ship docks even before visiting the foreign port BUT, you will have to pay about $300 per person for the privilege (your price may vary). People I know did it this past weekend before visiting the foreign port.

And what did Princess tell them about being able to leave then?

On board at least they had to have told Princess.

o If they did not tell Princess, then the ship would be trying to locate them before sailing away, possibly inconveniencing 3000+ passengers by a delay.

o I doubt Princess would allow them to take their luggage off of the ship without permission to skip the rest of the cruise.

PVSA or not, I think the answer is quite simple. "Hi family. We planned an expensive vacation many months ago, so we won't be available to attend said party. If you wish to reschedule it till after we are done with our vacation that would be fine, but no pressure from us to do so... we just won't be there."

That's life. Enjoy your cruise.

Every stop is different. Call your travel agent first. Princess requires that you go through your travel agent unless you booked straight though princess. They will then contact princess and fill out all the paper work. Princess knows if you will qualify to get off the ship or not. If you do it early enough it will even show up on your travel information. Some ships even pick up your luggage the night before on your newly assigned departure day. You don't need a reason to get off the ship either.

And what did Princess tell them about being able to leave then?

On board at least they had to have told Princess.

o If they did not tell Princess, then the ship would be trying to locate them before sailing away, possibly inconveniencing 3000+ passengers by a delay.

o I doubt Princess would allow them to take their luggage off of the ship without permission to skip the rest of the cruise.

No fee charged for us and Yes we will be able to take our luggage. everything depends on the city you want to get off at.