Bringing alcohol back from a port

Cruise Junky

Seems like wine is treated one way, that is one corkage-exempt 750ml bottle per adult at embarkation, in your carry-on bag, or one corkage-exempt bottle per adult from a ship excursion to a winery.... or pay corkage for additional bottles in either case.

And all alcoholic, non-wine products are treated another way, that is that they are confiscated until the end of the cruise then returned to you.

There are ship excursions to breweries, distilleries and specialty liquor factories but their products are not allowed back to the passenger cabins during the cruise.

Have I got it right? What have I missed? Thanks, m--

Nope. I think you nailed it. :)

OK, so once again the people who can't obey the rules ruin it for everyone. My main reason for posting is because I live in southern Oregon and we have some outstanding wineries here so over the years I've gotten to the point where I only drink local wines, none of which are available on HAL. Some may turn up their noses at "cheap" wine but to me the taste is more important than the price. The wines I love routinely cost $20 or less (and I've had a glass or two of $200+ a bottle wine and didn't like it) and I'm just not sure I'm willing to pay $18 for the "privilege" of pulling the cork out of my own wine in my own cabin. I may still do it but I won't like it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seems like wine is treated one way, that is one corkage-exempt 750ml bottle per adult at embarkation, in your carry-on bag, or one corkage-exempt bottle per adult from a ship excursion to a winery.... or pay corkage for additional bottles in either case.

And all alcoholic, non-wine products are treated another way, that is that they are confiscated until the end of the cruise then returned to you.

There are ship excursions to breweries, distilleries and specialty liquor factories but their products are not allowed back to the passenger cabins during the cruise.

Have I got it right? What have I missed? Thanks, m--

Brought a bottle of port back from a HAL tour in Spain and it was allowed to be carried on. Security noted it but allowed it through.

As long as you are prepared to carry it home if necessary, buy it and bring it aboard. If security lets it by, it's because their instructions are to let you do it as they will see the glass on the X-ray. Contracts are modifiable if both parties consent.

OK, so once again the people who can't obey the rules ruin it for everyone. My main reason for posting is because I live in southern Oregon and we have some outstanding wineries here so over the years I've gotten to the point where I only drink local wines, none of which are available on HAL. Some may turn up their noses at "cheap" wine but to me the taste is more important than the price. The wines I love routinely cost $20 or less (and I've had a glass or two of $200+ a bottle wine and didn't like it) and I'm just not sure I'm willing to pay $18 for the "privilege" of pulling the cork out of my own wine in my own cabin. I may still do it but I won't like it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why do you think people "ruined" it? Nothing wrong with taking a case of wine on if it's alllowed.

Why do you think people "ruined" it? Nothing wrong with taking a case of wine on if it's alllowed.

[bold is mine] And it was allowed for a long time--nobody was sneaking it onboard. I think HAL looked at the amount of wine people brought aboard and found a way to make some money from it. Many other lines had strict policies before HAL tightened their rules.

[bold is mine] And it was allowed for a long time--nobody was sneaking it onboard. I think HAL looked at the amount of wine people brought aboard and found a way to make some money from it. Many other lines had strict policies before HAL tightened their rules.

absolutely correct that it was allowed.

The HD on the Prinsendam when asked about the wine policy stated to our focus group that one of the mitigating factors was the cases of wine that were having to be handled by the staff due to people slapping luggage tags on the cases. He specifically cited Fort Lauderdale as the port of issue. I am sure $ were also part of the equation ;)

I'm just not sure I'm willing to pay $18 for the "privilege" of pulling the cork out of my own wine in my own cabin.
The corkage fees really have nothing to do with the labor of removing a cork anymore ... it's just a way for a restaurant or ship to get some money out of wine they are not selling.

One way people abused the privilege of bringing their own wine on board was that they then drank it in the dining room or other public spaces, not just in their cabins. m--

Agree!

If they take their one free 750ml bottle to the DR they should be charged the $18 corkage fee unless it has been identified as an extra bottle when embarking. This may or may not happen but it should. The "free" allowance of one bottle/pp is for in room consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One way people abused the privilege of bringing their own wine on board was that they then drank it in the dining room or other public spaces, not just in their cabins. m--

I thought the corkage had been in place for years? Or do you mean filling a glass in their room and taking it to the dining room ?

I thought the corkage had been in place for years? Or do you mean filling a glass in their room and taking it to the dining room ?

The corkage fee has been in place for years for those who wanted to bring a bottle to the dining room. We were at a table for four with a couple, who had the cabin next to ours, and they had brought quite a few bottles on board. They would bring a bottle or two with them every night and after the fourth or fifth night the wine steward stopped charging them the corkage fee. I think it helped that my wife and I were ordering a bottle every night and we fell into this ordering and sharing wine routine based on what was ordered for dinner. Of course with the corkage fee now being charged up front at boarding today they'd have to pay for the 20 +/- bottles minus their two allowed.

So as long as we're talking about wine here, I'm considering buying a bottle before going to the airport to bring home. Does anyone have experience with some of the protective padded wine carriers that can go in check on luggage?

I use the ones that Magellans sells. They work very well IMO. I've packed wine/duty free liquor, etc in them and never had a problem.

I do carry them off in the ship on disembarkation day and then, once the luggage has been collected, I put them in the luggage in the pre-planned spot and we are on our way.

All the bottles have arrived intact :)

While on the subject of "room consumption only" I used to be able to pre-order my DH a Bucket of Beer and a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream to be in the room upon embarkation or at least a card that simply required a call to Room Service. For the life of me I can no longer find that option on the HAL site. The Indulgence link does not have those options only wine and Beverage Packages. Has HAL stopped what I want since we sailed last? If not, can someone provide me the link? Many thanks

While on the subject of "room consumption only" I used to be able to pre-order my DH a Bucket of Beer and a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream to be in the room upon embarkation or at least a card that simply required a call to Room Service. For the life of me I can no longer find that option on the HAL site. The Indulgence link does not have those options only wine and Beverage Packages. Has HAL stopped what I want since we sailed last? If not, can someone provide me the link? Many thanks

Still there. Try looking under Cruise Activities. I know, sounds dumb, but that is where I found it last time.

edited to say - checked and still there. Cruise Activities brings up Beverages. (not under Indulgences).

Don't forget who the parent company is. ;)

LOL:D

Jacqui so many thanks for the info. Boy but is that ever a dumb place to have moved it to, I guess someone figured that "drinking" was an activity. :rolleyes::eek::D

You are most welcome. It took me a while to find it the first time too ;)

I use the ones that Magellans sells. They work very well IMO. I've packed wine/duty free liquor, etc in them and never had a problem.

I do carry them off in the ship on disembarkation day and then, once the luggage has been collected, I put them in the luggage in the pre-planned spot and we are on our way.

All the bottles have arrived intact :)

Thanks Kazu!

Thanks Kazu!

A question: When you buy a bottle in the ship's duty free store, do they now package it in the TSA-approved tamper-detective plastic bag? That would allow someone to just carry off the bottle at the end of the cruise and onto a plane without having to put it in a checked bag. I loved doing that when I left Rome and San Juan after visiting the duty-free at the airports.

A question: When you buy a bottle in the ship's duty free store, do they now package it in the TSA-approved tamper-detective plastic bag? That would allow someone to just carry off the bottle at the end of the cruise and onto a plane without having to put it in a checked bag. I loved doing that when I left Rome and San Juan after visiting the duty-free at the airports.

They didn't last time when we were on. (April/May 2016).

I believe that the TSA tamper proof bags can only be done at airports - primarily in Europe. The idea being that you are in secure areas. No control where anyone goes after a cruise.

I agree - it's a great system.