tipping in specialty restaurants

tommy47

I personally wouldn't tip extra but the the ones who profess to tip based on what they feel the meal would cost them in a restaurant at home would no doubt do so.

Actually, I tip just about everywhere, but I've never tipped at a Chef's stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We had been told by staff in the past that the cover charge included gratuity but that we were always welcome to tip extra in cash if we wished. The old checks didn't display a line for tips but on our last two cruises we noticed that there is now a place to indicate an extra tip. Interesting though that we inserted a $10 tip on that line on our check at the Crown Grill on the Royal a couple of weeks ago but were never charged.

I think the specialty restaurants are similar to the bar tabs. There is a tip included but you can give extra if you want.

even if the drink price includes 15% gratuity

we just got off the regal princess last week and we ate in the steak house and like I said when the waiter came over with the slip he asked me to sign it and there was a line that said tip so I know there are some people here saying that tips are included in the payment for the specialty restaurant but if this was true then there wouldn't be a line that says tip.

Actually... In the bar there is a 15% gratuity charged on all drinks. The slip they give you to sign still has a line for an additional tip.

I personally wouldn't tip extra but the the ones who profess to tip based on what they feel the meal would cost them in a restaurant at home would no doubt do so.

Actually those who say they leave a $20 tip because the meal would cost so much on land sometimes say that, given what it would cost on land, $20 seems hardly enough. If one is using the logic of land based dining then they are actually correct as a meal of that type will generally cost them at least a $50 tip or so on land. As those from the UK have noted: Tipping is nuts in the US.

we just got off the regal princess last week and we ate in the steak house and like I said when the waiter came over with the slip he asked me to sign it and there was a line that said tip so I know there are some people here saying that tips are included in the payment for the specialty restaurant but if this was true then there wouldn't be a line that says tip.

Not true. Just because there is a tip line for extra tips doesn't meant that the tip isn't automatically included. It just allows for extra for those who wish to tip more.

I think it also is likely to encourage more tips since many people don't realize that the tip is included in the fee and therefore are more likely not to think it through and give an extra tip.

Not true. Just because there is a tip line for extra tips doesn't meant that the tip isn't automatically included. It just allows for extra for those who wish to tip more.

I think it also is likely to encourage more tips since many people don't realize that the tip is included in the fee and therefore are more likely not to think it through and give an extra tip.

It sort of works that way at the IC desk with the tip box when you get coffee. Your coffee card includes a tip but you can always give extra in cash on the spot.

When we ate in the Crown Grill a couple of years ago on the Caribbean Princess, I wrote in an amount on the slip for a tip. When it did not appear on my account a couple of days later, I asked at passenger services. The person told me that sometimes it takes longer for the charges to make it onto the accounts. It never did. But by the time I received our final statement on the last morning, I wasn't going to stand in line to make this correction. I now know to take some cash to leave as a tip if I feel like doing so.

That extra $5 goes into the tip pool so your waiter probably only sees about $1.50 or so if he's lucky.

It goes into the pool only if you add the tip to your bill. If you hand cash, it goes into his/her pocket

We tipped $15 extra at the Crown Grill the couple times we went there on one cruise and I think we tipped an extra $10 on a previous occasion

At that time cover was $25 pp. We liked our waiters a lot. Only thing is, we never ever carry cash while onboard, so we wrote the tip in on the check. On our next cruise we will slip waiter cash tip instead like we do our room steward and MDR waiters

We have also given nothing extra at Crown on last cruise since it was such a lackluster experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think most people that say they tip “generosity” really dont...they say that to man them feel better on line. I would say that mots people dont tip anythign extra and those that do, tip 5 -10 bucks per dinner. Just tip what feels comfortable fro you, no one will batt an eye. :-)

I think most people that say they tip “generosity” really dont...they say that to man them feel better on line. I would say that mots people dont tip anythign extra and those that do, tip 5 -10 bucks per dinner. Just tip what feels comfortable fro you, no one will batt an eye. :-)

You get that impression also? ;)

I think most people make comments like yours to make them feel better about not tipping. See how that works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by dtb55