Flight time from Ft LAuderdale after cruise

Jacqueline

It has been done and can be done when all goes well.

Personally, I don't book a flight before noon out of FLL.

Customs/Immigration can be slow and the airport can be a zoo depending on how many people are flying out.

Is it realistic to book an 11am flight?

We are going o be returning from a Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam on a Saturday morning.

We got off Harmony yesterday morning at 745am walked off with our luggage. Used mobile app for customs got a cab and was at Ft Lauderdale airport by 820am. Our flight was at 1017am.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got off Harmony yesterday morning at 745am walked off with our luggage. Used mobile app for customs got a cab and was at Ft Lauderdale airport by 820am. Our flight was at 1017am.

isn't it great when it works out? It doesn't always work that way;):rolleyes:

Harmony is different- it gets in sooner as the ship is huge. Same with Oasis and Allure.

That being said, it is commonly discussed on the Florida Departure board that flights as early as 10am are possible, and we have done 10:55 with no difficulty. We carry our bags off.

Sure it's potentially doable. Couldn't say what % of the time, but probably more than just most of the time you'll be fine, but not all the time.

Can you do self disembarkation with your own luggage, early-off? Can you do ok with dealing with the passport check line? Usually when early-off the line isn't more than 30-45 mins. Then maybe allow 20 mins door-to-door to the airport. So an hour after you leave the ship you should be at the airport. The question is, "What time will you get off the ship?" That's more the gamble.

It's up to you for your comfort factor, it's not for everybody.

And what if you miss your flight? What's your plan B like, and is it something you can live with if not everything goes smoothly..... could you get on another flight that day, or maybe have to stay over a day? Would you have to pay a lot more for the new flight? Plus a hotel etc? How insured are you for trip delay at that part of your trip?

I'd probably do it but it's not for everybody. m--

Is it realistic to book an 11am flight?

We are going o be returning from a Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam on a Saturday morning.

If you are flying 1st-class on a non-tourist charter airline, you should be good to go. Worst that can happen? You rebook later/next-day with $0 change-fee and enjoy another day in Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks. I can't remember the last time, I sailed out of Florida!

I booked the 12:20 based on your advice.

We have both global entry and mobile pass ... usually I just travel with a carry on bag, but I may be needing to bring a wet suit for diving on this trip.

Thank you for all your helpful responses !

My followup question is, what is the best way to get from the port to the airport ?

Jackie

...My followup question is, what is the best way to get from the port to the airport ?

Jackie

Go outside the cruise terminal with a $5 in hand, ready to give the Taxi dude a tip. You'll be in a taxi within 40 seconds.

We walked off Koningsdam this morning at 8:05 and were in the airport at the gate at 8:45.

We have downloaded the Mobile Passport app. With that, you are able to skip the long lines at Customs (but I assume that will eventually change once more people are using the app). We also used Luggage Direct...so no luggage to check.

This was the earliest flight (11:45) that we've ever done and were at first a bit concerned. We won't worry about that any longer...AND...there were 6 ships (and from my basic calculations about 15,000-20,000 cruisers) in port today.

Keep in mind that if you intend to use Luggage Direct, your flight must be after 11:30 at FLL.

Edited by djhsolara

"Mobile Passport App" ?????

what is it? is it available at Ft Laud International airport? Thanks for the tip

It's available for both iOS and Android, from their respective app stores. You download it and install it on your phone. You take pictures / scans of your passport bar codes and selfies. The app replaces the blue customs declaration form. There's a special line at Port Everglades as well as a couple dozen US international airports.

More here;

http://www.mobilepassport.us/

"Mobile Passport App" ?????

what is it? is it available at Ft Laud International airport? Thanks for the tip

Mobile Passport app is an authorized U.S. Customs smartphone or tablet app that expedites the entry process for U.S. and Canadian citizens and by providing an automated process through the CBP Primary Inspection area.

It is available at Port Everglades and Ft.Laud Int'l. airport.

You do your customs declaration and everything on the app. You do need to know which berth the ship will be coming into...and the captain announced that the last day of the cruise during his navigational announcement. Additionally, you must complete and submit this within 4 hours prior to physically walking through customs. Once you submit it, a 4-hour timer begins on your submission.

Could we use this if both adults have passports but children are traveling with birth certificates

A family of up to 4 can use the app, but you can't "create" a new person in the app without scanning / adding a passport.

Could we use this if both adults have passports but children are traveling with birth certificates

Have not been in your situation. Below is a FAQ from its website that may guide you.

How does Mobile Passport Control work? Once the traveler downloads the app from the app store, the Mobile Passport App asks travelers to set up a profile with their passport data. If family members are traveling together, additional profiles can be set up. When a traveler is preparing to enter the U.S., the traveler completes the “New Trip” section of the app: selecting port of entry, air- or cruise line and terminal, taking a “selfie” photo, and answering standard CBP customs declaration questions. Upon arrival, the traveler uses the app to submit this information along with the profile data to CBP. After reviewing the submission, CBP may send a digital, secure bar-coded receipt to the traveler’s smartphone via the app. This receipt will expire in four (4) hours. The traveler then proceeds through the arrivals area, following the Mobile Passport Control signs until prompted by CBP to place their digital bar-coded receipt on the barcode scanner and presenting their passport to a CBP officer. Unless further inspection is necessary, the passenger then exits the arrivals area.

Does the Mobile Passport App replace my U.S. passport? No. You must present your valid, U.S. or Canadian passport to the CBP officer upon arrival.

Is it possible to submit the entire family with the app? The Mobile Passport App offers you the opportunity to set up profiles for every member of your family. If you are planning a family journey, the App lets you set up a trip for the whole family, after submitting you get QR Code receipts for every family member.

It's available for both iOS and Android, from their respective app stores. You download it and install it on your phone. You take pictures / scans of your passport bar codes and selfies. The app replaces the blue customs declaration form. There's a special line at Port Everglades as well as a couple dozen US international airports.

More here;

http://www.mobilepassport.us/

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like a handy app to have for our cruise.