Rick Steves: Spain's New 2017, Ramblas Side, etc.??!!

TLCOhio

From USA Today on Feb. 4, they have this headline of a column by famed author/traveler/TV host Rick Steves: "What's new in Spain and Portugal for 2017".

Here are some of the story highlights: "Across Spain, neglected corners of many cities are now being made more inviting for visitors. Sevilla's Triana neighborhood, for example, long considered the 'wrong side of the river,' is soon to be the most colorful part of town. In Madrid, the formerly sleazy, no-go Chueca district, just north of the busy shopping street called Gran Vía, is now trendy and appealing. Eating here is especially fun, either at a table on the central Plaza de Chueca, at the San Anton market hall or at one of the creative eateries nearby. The exception to this upward trend is in Barcelona, where the iconic Ramblas boulevard has lost much of its charm. Once home to authentic markets, characteristic eateries and a thriving local ambience, it's now awash in tacky tourist trinkets and lousy restaurants. If you come to Barcelona, you've still got to ramble the Ramblas — just don't eat or shop there. With the opening of the Gaudí Exhibition Center, visitors finally have a central place to learn about his contributions to the city. Barcelona's main attractions are getting wise to the advantages of advance ticket sales. For instance, visitors can now save time at the line-plagued Picasso Museum by buying timed-entry tickets in advance. For last-minute types, another option is to buy an Articket BCN, which covers six top Barcelona museums and allows visitors to walk right in anytime at the Picasso Museum."

Sad to hear of this slide downward for the Ramblas. We loved that area from our two past visits to Barcelona. But, we were last there in June 2011. Have other recent visitors experienced a similar trend in Barcelona? Agree or disagree with Rick Steves?

Full story at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2017/02/04/spain-portugal-new-attractions/97449548/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,431 views for this posting.

From this USA Today Rick Steves column, here is one of the pictures featured. It is of a storefront in the Triana District of Seville. Looks like fun!! Anybody been to this colorful part of Spain?:

Sevilles%20Triana%20District_zpsrpx8v9jy.jpg

Well, I must say that I've always thought Rick Steves is behind the curve and this proves it. For example, the Triana neighborhood in Sevilla has been in my estimation quaint and interesting since at least 2002 when I was first there.I visited in 2016 and I think I'll base myself there next time I go to Sevilla. Regarding Las Ramblas... what can I say!? Super tacky since my first time there in 1998, with the the big exception of mercado La Boqueria !! Was last there in Nov 2016 and had a lovely lunch at El Quim kiosc, yummy!

I think the Picasso museum there is overrated. Do go to the Sagrada Familia cathedral. I had not been there since 2006 and its now magnificent!!

Ruiseluv

I'm with you on this one. I'd never heard of Rick Steve's until a couple of years ago. However, I have lived, worked and travelled throughout Europe, so watched his videos of the many places I know well.

First of all his pronunciation of places and things are so wrong, but more than anything, his information is incorrect or totally out of date as in this article.

I have been visiting Seville at least once a year for over 40 years. Triana has been a place to visit at least for the last twenty years.

The last time I went to Madrid was around eight years ago. I asked a friend who goes there frequently a good area to go out in. He said the Chueca district was fashionable with lots of good bars.

I have known Barcelona well since the early 70s. Las Ramblas has been tacky for years. La Boqueria market is now an overpriced tourist trap. In fact, I was in Cadiz last week and the central market is well worth visiting.

... and it's full of obsolete stereotypes and generalisations that often have little to do with reality. What really bothers me is that he's got a whole organisation behind to "correct" this, but year after year his guides (the ones' I've seen anyway) contain the same inaccuracies and stereotypes. Yet the guy is affable, I admit that, LOL!

... and it's full of obsolete stereotypes and generalisations that often have little to do with reality. What really bothers me is that he's got a whole organisation behind to "correct" this, but year after year his guides (the ones' I've seen anyway) contain the same inaccuracies and stereotypes. Yet the guy is affable, I admit that, LOL!

Appreciate this wide range of opinions on Rick Steves. Personally, his TV style is fun and entertaining. Nice visuals! His travel books have been more "mixed" for me. Agree that there are people who hang on his every word. Some view his writings as coming from the "Holy Bible". I like to check a variety of different travel books that I check out from our local public library, including visual ones such as Eyewitness, Insight Guides, etc.

THANKS for the great sharing and update! Keep posting and providing your viewpoints and experiences. That helps folks prepare and consider their many options. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 220,986 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry

We spent a week in Kotor about 6 or 7 years ago. At that time I think only one or two small cruise ships came in the whole week we were there. It now really seems to have taken off as a major cruise destination. Not so sure we'd like it so much now.

We have also holidayed in Croatia which is nice, but in September 2015 we spent a week in Slovenia which we loved. Fantastic scenery, delicious food and wine and very cheap.

Going back to Rick Steve's, there are threads on Tripadvisor who ( quite rightly) absolutely slate him. For someone who makes a fortune from travel guides I don't know how he gets it so wrong.

Going back to Rick Steve's, there are threads on Tripadvisor who ( quite rightly) absolutely slate him. For someone who makes a fortune from travel guides I don't know how he gets it so wrong.

You've mentioned this before. I'm curious what he gets "so wrong", given that most of his books and materials are written together with respected local guides.

I'm not particularly a Steves fan, but he has made Europe accessible for many Americans and encourages them to seek out real local experiences rather than just taking a big bus tour. It was posted on the Italy boards recently that sometimes the dislike of Steves stems from his popularizing smaller areas that are then overrun with tourists eager to see the latest "scenic" place (and thereby ruining its charm). But that's not necessarily "getting it wrong."

Not a fan of the Steves products - I think he over simplifies things to the detriment of travelers not being as prepared as they need to be upon arrival at their destinations. Even worse, I've met too many people dismayed by the recommendations they've followed, needing to change hotels upon arrival etc. I've relied a lot on Frommer's, Eyewitness, Lonely Planet, Rough Guides....always depended on where I was going and which one seemed best suited for the destination.

No question Steves is "chipper"and pleasant on his videos, without question - I'm not looking for a friend, I need reliable information. I have found better insight elsewhere and not just in guide books - I look beyond every single time. But I don't knock what works for people though I encourage trying other things...especially if people feel that something isn't what it used to be. Another guide book for 2017 will tell you where Spain/Barcelona - any city - exactly IS what it always was and where you can find it.

PS: Even Louis Vuittton makes travel guides and they're small, compact and no, not terribly overpriced or just talking about expensive places. Think outside the box and your trip might be more than you ever imagined it might be ;)

Cruisemom

Well, this Steve Reves article is a prime example where his information is incorrect. It is years out of date. I think he doesn't bother to go to many of the destinations and if he does, never revisits. Probably just relies on freelance reporters or articles by other people. Mind you, he's obviously laughing all the way to the bank.

These days I rarely rely on guide books. I prefer to read things on the internet and print out articles and information of whatever I am interested in. In the past I quite liked Eyewitness guides.

BTW I know you are an Italy fan. If you can get copies of BBC programmes there has been an excellent recent series called Invisible Italy about Florence, Naples and Rome where an expert makes 3D images. It's interesting and fascinating.

Not a fan of the Steves products - I think he over simplifies things to the detriment of travelers not being as prepared as they need to be upon arrival at their destinations. Even worse, I've met too many people dismayed by the recommendations they've followed, needing to change hotels upon arrival etc. I've relied a lot on Frommer's, Eyewitness, Lonely Planet, Rough Guides....always depended on where I was going and which one seemed best suited for the destination.

I don't fully agree. I think Steves' guides are meant to get folks to stay at hotels that Europeans might stay at (or might have, before the "Steves heads" took them over). Most Americans find it difficult to deal with European hotels that have no (or tiny) lifts, small rooms, air conditioning that doesn't go down to 60 degrees, etc.

If you read his guides CAREFULLY, they are not bad for first visits. I remember many years ago going to Paris on my own (I think it may have been my first "solo" trip) and following several of his walks with excellent results.

I think it's fair to say I'm extremely familiar with Rome, and I don't find his guide to be wrong in many instances. I may not agree with his restaurant choices or hotels in all cases, but he is honest about how he describes them.

And the same for Istanbul -- I found his guide really helpful there on a first visit.

So for at least those three, I can't say that I was led astray....

I do not rely on his guides -- I like really detailed information, so I'm more apt to be reading the Oxford Guide, Blue Guide, that sort of thing. But for beginners, I often have recommended them.

(According to his website, he spends about a third of every year in Europe traveling, researching and filming new episodes of his travel shows.)

Appreciate this wide range of opinions on Rick Steves. Personally, his TV style is fun and entertaining. Nice visuals! His travel books have been more "mixed" for me. Agree that there are people who hang on his every word. Some view his writings as coming from the "Holy Bible". I like to check a variety of different travel books that I check out from our local public library, including visual ones such as Eyewitness, Insight Guides, etc.

THANKS for the great sharing and update! Keep posting and providing your viewpoints and experiences. That helps folks prepare and consider their many options. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 220,986 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

That's a great review of your cruise in 2011 - We did the Eastern Med a couple years ago and absolutely loved Kotor and Dubrovnik - we mostly walked the towns with a private tour in Dubrovnik that showed much the same as your pics. Kotor was a great port to just walk around and have a nice lunch and shop at the fresh market and stores. It was one of our fav ports - and so beautiful sailing in and out. We loved Venice and Rome as well. Ours started in Venice and ended in Rome, so we took a day extra in each place which made it much better. This year, we are doing the Western Med and will be in Barcelona for 3 days and Villefranche and some others. Thanks for the great pics and info :)

We have long thought that the Rick Steves books are the best of the travel guide books....but being the "best" still does not mean the books are perfect. For example, the Ramblas has been a tourist trap (and a haven for professional pick pockets) for decades. Its still a "must" for walking.....but that is where it should begin and end for most tourists. The exception is the fantastic La Boqueria Market which is located on the left side of the Ramblas (as you walk towards the Diagonal). You can learn a lot about the food culture of Spain by browsing the stalls in this market. As Rick Steves warns, the Ramblas is not the place where one should stop to have a meal. And even sitting to simply enjoy a refreshing glass of Sangria....can be much more expensive then you would imagine. Consider walking a few blocks from the Ramblas for food and drink.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I always read the Rick Steves' books before a trip to Europe. I also read other

travel books, Frommer's, Eyewitness, etc and internet, Tripadvisor and so on.

His books are a good starting point for my planning. Certainly not the" be all end all".

I appreciate his desire to help people go to Europe on their own and a lot, maybe most of his information is relevant, up to date or not.

We spent four days in Barcelona in November, prior to a SS cruise. We had been in 2009, 2013 and 2015. Of course Las Ramblas is very touristy. It is fun to walk anyway. However, right if coming from port, say like to Plaza Real, and keep walking in that side, you are in Barrio Gotic and in El Born. Although not exempt from tourists, these barrios have more of the authentic charm you would associate with this wonderful city. We found the tapas places at El Born better than the tapas we had at La Boquería. However, La Boquería Market, on the left side of Las Ramblas is a must see and thoroughly enjoyable. Barrio Gotic is full of charm and the esplanade in front of the Cathedral is most always alive with music.

I don't fully agree. I think Steves' guides are meant to get folks to stay at hotels that Europeans might stay at (or might have, before the "Steves heads" took them over). Most Americans find it difficult to deal with European hotels that have no (or tiny) lifts, small rooms, air conditioning that doesn't go down to 60 degrees, etc.

If you read his guides CAREFULLY, they are not bad for first visits. I remember many years ago going to Paris on my own (I think it may have been my first "solo" trip) and following several of his walks with excellent results.

I think it's fair to say I'm extremely familiar with Rome, and I don't find his guide to be wrong in many instances. I may not agree with his restaurant choices or hotels in all cases, but he is honest about how he describes them.

And the same for Istanbul -- I found his guide really helpful there on a first visit.

So for at least those three, I can't say that I was led astray....

I do not rely on his guides -- I like really detailed information, so I'm more apt to be reading the Oxford Guide, Blue Guide, that sort of thing. But for beginners, I often have recommended them.

(According to his website, he spends about a third of every year in Europe traveling, researching and filming new episodes of his travel shows.)

I think these guides might be helpful for first timers yes, but wouldn't any well written guidebook ultimately prove to be helpful? I think he has a way of simplifying things that other books may not take the time to do or even think necessary so there's a specific market right there. Everyone has a different need and is starting from a different place when they are embarking upon a trip - any book that can help prepare a traveler for their holiday is certainly helpful and worth using. This is definitely true of his guides.

I wonder if he ought to do guides more about "just traveling and culture" than about hotels and restaurants? Too often this was where I saw the disparity. The most help seems to have come with informing people about a place rather than giving tips on specifics like where to sleep and eat, wherein other guides have excelled almost beyond measure.

Michelin started out as a simple enough accompaniment for travelers on the road and needing places to eat; now it is THE way to measure the gastronomical palaces of the world. Louis Vuitton made luggage and now they make a small set of guidebooks (kind of makes sense) that are compact, concise and easy to toss into said luggage. They're NOT for beginners. Students will probably always first turn to Lonely Planet and Rough Guides. One buys what one requires! (Don't overlook travel memoirs/essays, novels and other non-fiction as great travel "guides" and inspiration!) :)

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Barcelona in June 2016 . The Las Ramblas had changed dramaticly since my previous visit in Sept 2008. It was wall to wall people , trinket shops, but still great buildings.

In 2008 the flower markets were wonderful, the statue artists were outstanding, the guitarists around the catherdral were evocative.

Now it is all changed IMO, very commercial and too crowded.

We had a great time visiting the museums, eating in cafes around Placa Real, and other neighborhooods,tour of Gaudi buildings.

I will be there again in April of 2018, and still have a check list of museums to see and places to eat.

Do your research and plan accordingly.

To me the key is in the word, guide and I take it as exactly that, a guide not written in stone. Right now I'm looking at a 2017 Essential Spain by Fodor's from the library and it seems to be very good. I've been to Barcelona several times, enjoy the city and like to read what current guide books are saying.

From USA Today on Feb. 4, they have this headline of a column by famed author/traveler/TV host Rick Steves: "What's new in Spain and Portugal for 2017".

Here are some of the story highlights: "Across Spain, neglected corners of many cities are now being made more inviting for visitors. Sevilla's Triana neighborhood, for example, long considered the 'wrong side of the river,' is soon to be the most colorful part of town. In Madrid, the formerly sleazy, no-go Chueca district, just north of the busy shopping street called Gran Vía, is now trendy and appealing. Eating here is especially fun, either at a table on the central Plaza de Chueca, at the San Anton market hall or at one of the creative eateries nearby. The exception to this upward trend is in Barcelona, where the iconic Ramblas boulevard has lost much of its charm. Once home to authentic markets, characteristic eateries and a thriving local ambience, it's now awash in tacky tourist trinkets and lousy restaurants. If you come to Barcelona, you've still got to ramble the Ramblas — just don't eat or shop there. With the opening of the Gaudí Exhibition Center, visitors finally have a central place to learn about his contributions to the city. Barcelona's main attractions are getting wise to the advantages of advance ticket sales. For instance, visitors can now save time at the line-plagued Picasso Museum by buying timed-entry tickets in advance. For last-minute types, another option is to buy an Articket BCN, which covers six top Barcelona museums and allows visitors to walk right in anytime at the Picasso Museum."

Sad to hear of this slide downward for the Ramblas. We loved that area from our two past visits to Barcelona. But, we were last there in June 2011. Have other recent visitors experienced a similar trend in Barcelona? Agree or disagree with Rick Steves?

Full story at:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2017/02/04/spain-portugal-new-attractions/97449548/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 169,431 views for this posting.

From this USA Today Rick Steves column, here is one of the pictures featured. It is of a storefront in the Triana District of Seville. Looks like fun!! Anybody been to this colorful part of Spain?:

Sevilles%20Triana%20District_zpsrpx8v9jy.jpg

Thank you Terry, as always :)

I think these guides might be helpful for first timers yes, but wouldn't any well written guidebook ultimately prove to be helpful? I think he has a way of simplifying things that other books may not take the time to do or even think necessary so there's a specific market right there. Everyone has a different need and is starting from a different place when they are embarking upon a trip - any book that can help prepare a traveler for their holiday is certainly helpful and worth using. This is definitely true of his guides.

I wonder if he ought to do guides more about "just traveling and culture" than about hotels and restaurants? Too often this was where I saw the disparity. The most help seems to have come with informing people about a place rather than giving tips on specifics like where to sleep and eat, wherein other guides have excelled almost beyond measure.

Michelin started out as a simple enough accompaniment for travelers on the road and needing places to eat; now it is THE way to measure the gastronomical palaces of the world. Louis Vuitton made luggage and now they make a small set of guidebooks (kind of makes sense) that are compact, concise and easy to toss into said luggage. They're NOT for beginners. Students will probably always first turn to Lonely Planet and Rough Guides. One buys what one requires! (Don't overlook travel memoirs/essays, novels and other non-fiction as great travel "guides" and inspiration!) :)