Packing for a long cruise

TheCalicoCat

Assuming that you do not have laundry service included, how do you pack for a long cruise (one with varying climates)?

14-night in Alaska to be specifics. I don't mind checking my suitcase(s) on the airplane (so I'm not trying to cram it all into a carry-on) but I know that the rooms have limited space for storing the suitcase(s) and clothes.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit in the new cruise critic.. (So I could not remove the "s" in specific.)

I'm thinking that I would like a sweatshirt on the promenade or upper decks, but probably a lighter sweater inside (nicer for dinner).

(I also need to pack a rain coat, jacket, hat, scarf, gloves - this is not my first AK cruise, so these are givens not questions.)

& then there is my son...

I think we've always been able to stow all of our luggage under the bed. And I don't pack light. Typically 1 or 2 suitcases, 1 garment bag, and our carry-ons.

One way to help with storage is to put nondelicates like underwear and sweatshirts into a soft duffel. After you unpack, that might squash down to be stored inside a suitcase. I have a great duffel that is designed to fold down and zip into itself, forming a rectangle a bit larger than a hard-cover book, maybe 12 x 12 x 3.

You've been to Alaska, so you know about layers. Try to choose under layers that can be worn without the over layers in the warmer places or on warmer days. If raincoats are bulky, would you consider plastic ponchos instead?

Does your ship have a launderette? I know nobody wants to be doing laundry on a cruise, but it does help with the bulk, especially with men's clothes. My socks are small, but DH's socks are bulky!

I have to admit, I've either been in a NS where laundry is included, or used the $20 stuff-a-bag. I've never gone more than a week without some kind of laundry, either done by me or by the ship.

- this is not my first AK cruise, so these are givens not questions.)
Okay, so you know the "layering" bit. :) Before we got to the free laundry level we just crammed in as much as we could in the luggage and stuffed a bag of laundry every couple of days.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit in the new cruise critic.. (So I could not remove the "s" in specific.)
It's just like before ... for 20 minutes after you post there is an Edit button down at the end, left of the Quote button.

... but I know that the rooms have limited space for storing the suitcase(s) and clothes.
Except on the Prinsendam we've always been able to get two large suitcases and two rolling carry-ons under the bed with a little maneuvering, but if you've got more than that I believe the steward can take and store a bag for you. As far as shortage of closet/drawer space, we sometimes don't fully unpack our suitcases ... just two or three days worth and a time, and used clothes that we won't need again go back in the bags.

4 people (2 children) 20 days, 2 29" suitcases and one rolling duffle for odd shaped items like shoes. Use packing cubes and the kids each get an under bed drawer. The packing cubes keep socks and underwear, warm weather/swimmers separate from cool weather. Easy to unpack.

Put two shirts on every hanger. Bring hangers for children. Sweatshirts and sweaters remain folded on shelves.

Put the life vests under the bed where they are easy to retrieve. Tell everyone in the cabin where you put them.

Bring a laundry bag and used clothes go in every night. Use the blue bag and send out laundry once or twice. Send darks one time and whites another. You don't want to pack clean clothes for 14 days when laundry is available.

We have never had a space/ storage issue.

Our suitcases fit under the bed. That is 4 bags -- 2 carry on and 2 checked.

As others have mentioned, consider using the stuff-a-bag option for laundry so you can reduce how much you take with you.

IMHO a sweatshirt is too bulky and not much warmth. Consider fleece instead -- lighter weight, warmer.

I think we've always been able to stow all of our luggage under the bed. And I don't pack light. Typically 1 or 2 suitcases, 1 garment bag, and our carry-ons.

One way to help with storage is to put nondelicates like underwear and sweatshirts into a soft duffel. After you unpack, that might squash down to be stored inside a suitcase. I have a great duffel that is designed to fold down and zip into itself, forming a rectangle a bit larger than a hard-cover book, maybe 12 x 12 x 3.

You've been to Alaska, so you know about layers. Try to choose under layers that can be worn without the over layers in the warmer places or on warmer days. If raincoats are bulky, would you consider plastic ponchos instead?

Ditto with storing the bags under the bed.

We travel with a duffle like the one above but folded up. We unfold it on the trip for dirty clothes and use the suitcase space for souvenirs etc. In Alaska we bought long sleeved tees and sweat shirts for souvenirs rather than pack those from home.

Thanks that is a blank square on my computer...
Odd. Does it work like an edit button if you click it?

How very strange - cruise critic must have felt my distaste for the "new look."

It is back to the old look...:):):):):)

I wish I could say that. :(

I hear your anguish Calico. We are going to Europe in early spring and need to be prepared for everything from nice weather to rain to cold weather.

I carefully pack layers (the under layers can be worn on warm days).

Like 1of4, I use the mesh bags and just slide them in the drawers. I like them in hotels because who knows when those drawers were cleaned last too ;). And it makes it easy to gather things up.

I never pack a sweatshirt. I buy one on board when they are on sale or in a port at a decent price and I have a souvenir ;).

We do pack sweaters - a couple key ones and I put them in the vacuum pack type bags that help take away the bulkiness.

Our suitcases have always gone under the bed - even on the P'dam on opening them so that is a non issue.

We do use laundry though. Whether you do it yourself or choose to use HAL, it's got to be done.

I don't mind to wear the same thing again and yes, we make room for our Gala clothes ;).

For longer cruises we try to get the clothes out early - look and then eliminate. I HATE when I take something and never wear it. You can't predict the weather, but hopefully put what you packed to use.

I'm thinking that I would like a sweatshirt on the promenade or upper decks, but probably a lighter sweater inside (nicer for dinner).

(I also need to pack a rain coat, jacket, hat, scarf, gloves - this is not my first AK cruise, so these are givens not questions.)

& then there is my son...

We pack to wear thin layers so we don't pack a sweatshirt and a jacket and a raincoat. Here is our example of what we wear:

1- a loose fitting, hooded wind breaker/rain jacket that can be worn over a

2 - sweatshirt/hoodie or over a long sleeved T with hood, which can be worn over a

3- fleece vest or just a knit top which can be worn over a

4 - silk turtleneck undershirt.... or over a polar tech undershirt for really cold, like Norway in November, probably not needed for Alaska.

I put the extra layers in a compression bag and squeeze out the air for packing. I might wear one of the heavier layers during travel, maybe the hoodie or the rain jacket or the fleece vest.

I wear lightweight travel pants and pack a polar tech pant or marino wool leggin to wear under the travel pants.

Alaska needs waterproof shoes!

I bring a beanie cap for warmth plus knit ear/headband and a foam visor to wear under the rain jacket hood to keep the rain out of my eyes. DH uses a brimmed bucket hat and ear/headband.

Gloves are lightweight thinsulate for cold weather or simple silk glove liners worn alone for not so cold.

These have worked for us in glacier viewing in Chile, Norway, and New Zealand as well as Alaska. We have traveled for long periods, up to 16 weeks, with one suitcase each plus a shoulder tote each. Thin multiple layers and ExOfficio underwear to be hand-washed and dried overnight have made this possible for us. I've found 3 sets of underwear work ok, I think Rick Steves recommends 2 but I like having a back-up set.

We took 3 grandkids to Alaska, one carry-on suitcase each. They each had a hoodie and rain jacket plus knit shirts and long sleeve shirts. Worked great.

But that's our style, YMMV. Happy planning! m--

The ship's laundry service is wonderful, and your ship might have a special for the entire cruise. Check at the front desk once you're aboard.

We just returned from a 2 week Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam and had unlimited washing and pressing for $98.00 for the 2 weeks. Sent wash out every morning and it was back on hangers by dinner time. Knowing HAL has this service I will pack a lot less clothes from now on.

Fran

Thanks again for all of the replies, tips, and ideas.

Part of it is a mindset - one that isn't in my mind yet.:rolleyes:

Luckily I have about 155 days to mull on it & figure it out.

Being able to send out laundry is great.

Something I do when going on long trips where we fly in and do trains for 2-3 weeks (we like to only tote a 22" rolling suitcase each) is to be sure that everything goes with everything else.... and it all goes with the limited shoes we take.:)

My color scheme is black & brown bottoms - all other stuff goes with those. For shoes I take flip-fops that double as slippers, a pair of comfy shoes for sightseeing and a pair black flats for going out in the evening. I also take a tube of soap made for sink laundry I bought from Magellen - works great and rinses easily.

The first time I traveled this way I was sure I was going to miss all my other "stuff" that I take on cruises but was shocked when I really did have all I needed for each situation.:D