Disappointed even before our first cruise

The5jays

We are about to take our first cruis in March. Since it is our first we got a agent and told her what we were looking for. We wanted a 4day cruise with our gratatuies prepaid and a drink package. So she booked us a 4day cruise on the NCL jade. After paying everything and having a nice mini suite with deck, we were so excited. Until the other day when I realized that we don't have a drink pacake booked and when I contacted her who told me that she must have not checked off the box for drink package and no big deal just add it on either now or before boarding. After spending $1700.o0 on the cruise alone not to mention $1300 for flights. I was not expecting another$1000 on top for a drink package. Just me or does this sound crazy priced??

I'm not trying to be cheep, but really $2700 for a 4 day cruise??

Not looking feeling the excitment anymore ☹️

The drink package was likely a promotion available at the time of booking that is probably no longer available because you are so close to sailing -- beyond final payment in other words.

You should force the travel agent (TA) to hold up their end of the bargain. If they promised you a beverage package, make them deliver. If they won't, then what you've got yourself is a crappy-ass TA. Lesson learned... there won't be much you can do about it, other than canceling and being hit with the requisite cancellation fee.

Research, research, research... caveat emptor. This isn't NCL's fault. It's your crappy travel agent.

OK, never mind. Canadian dollars.

The drink package was likely a promotion available at the time of booking that is probably no longer available because you are so close to sailing -- beyond final payment in other words.
I am not aware of any recent promo that becomes unavailable after final payment, but we don't know how the TA booked this. If the OP was able to get the free gratuities as a Free At Sea perk, then they should be able to choose a second perk that was available at the time of booking, even now. But the OP should check that they actually have the free gratuities and that the TA didn't screw that up, too. And it's possible that this was a TA incentive and not a Free At Sea perk.

OP, if you have confirmations from the TA from when you paid your deposit on the booking and again when you paid in full saying that you have these two perks on your reservation, they need to make it happen. It sounds like they admitted their fault but offered to do nothing to fix things, and your only reaction is "Well, I sure won't be using them again, will I?" In your place, I would be calling a lawyer… At the very least you need to blast them on Twitter. Sad.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Because the cruise is a month away…

NCL has been running these specials for the past year or more. Giving the drink package and other perks if you book with them. I am not sure why your agent would not have had these added to your booking. I can totally understand why you would be upset but your agent should be making good on this for you.

Do you have either a recording of the agent accepting the booking with the required package or the agent agreeing that they did and have 'messed up' or the same thing in writing? If not then you are in a "he said; she said" situation.

As has been said "caveat emptor"; check, re-check and when you are certain, check again.

Because the cruise is a month away…

NCL has been running these specials for the past year or more. Giving the drink package and other perks if you book with them. I am not sure why your agent would not have had these added to your booking. I can totally understand why you would be upset but your agent should be making good on this for you. If they do not make good on this for you I would tell them you will be letting people know on cruise critic their company and that you were not pleased with their service.

Everything is in writing when you booked and paid. What is on those documents? Are the perk/s noted? Not sure why this was not immediately verified, but, if it isn't on the document, then you are a little late with the blame, over a month later.

I have just re-read the original post:-

We wanted a 4day cruise with our gratatuies prepaid and a drink package.

After spending $1700.o0 on the cruise alone not to mention $1300 for flights. I was not expecting another$1000 on top for a drink package. Just me or does this sound crazy priced??

Please outline what your paperwork says you would be getting for the $1700. Is that for 3 or 4 of you?

Otherwise how is the drink package going to cost $1000 for 4 nights.

More detail would help to cool down the flak.

Was your Mini Suite a "Guarantee Mini Suite - MX Category?" None of the guarantee cabins are eligible for any of the onboard promotions from NCL. By quoting you a great price (?) for the MX Mini Suite, it looks like a much better price. Forget about getting any promotions, though.

When we booked on Dec 31, we paid all in full. Including paying for our gratatuties just to explain a bit better

Call your agent and tell them to change your perks. It is not a big deal, yes if you got free gratuities you may have to pay them still, but you won't have to pay for the drink package. (You may even be able to contact NCL yourself for this change without getting your agent in the middle.)

We have the Dawn booked for next March. While planning for our Getaway vacation for this March on ncl.com, I accidentally clicked on the Dawn and found we didn't have the beverage package, but had the wifi instead. Called our agent let her know of the error. Within minutes it was fixed.

If you have a good agent, they can--and should--make it right.

This one reason I NEVER book with a TA. No need to get a third party involved in the middle of your booking process. If you look for the specials and other offers you can almost always do better directly with NCL anyway.

Whilst I generally agree with the first part of your post, and never use a TA myself, I believe that one advantage about them is that you can usually get a better price with a decent TA compared to booking direct.

I want to thank everyone for your help and input in my disappointment. Lesson learned.next time, you want something done right then do it yourself. ( I guess you don't need a TA even if it is your first cruise) I will however be contacting air Canada vacations and letting them know how disappointed I am with there sales people. I know nothing can be done now, and I will be having to pay additional$1000 after thinking my trip was paid. I sure hope no more new surprises

I'm just impressed you're planning on spending $1000 for the UBP as the better deal for drinks for the two of you on a four day cruise. That's like you're sure you will drink more than 10 ($12.50) drinks pp/pd.

I want to thank everyone for your help and input in my disappointment. Lesson learned.next time, you want something done right then do it yourself. ( I guess you don't need a TA even if it is your first cruise) I will however be contacting air Canada vacations and letting them know how disappointed I am with there sales people. I know nothing can be done now, and I will be having to pay additional$1000 after thinking my trip was paid. I sure hope no more new surprises

You may be better of paying for your drinks strait up.

What you get ( seasick ) for a day and can not drink??

People have asked a number of times what kind of paperwork you received from the TA, and what it said. You seem to be evading those questions (which is your right), so I'm guessing the paperwork does not actually say anywhere that the beverage package was included in your booking or in your pre-paid extras. There's not much to complain about in that case, unfortunately. The salesperson was misleading (deliberately or not?) on the phone, or maybe you misheard/misunderstood what they were selling you? It happens. That's why you get a written confirmation, and why it's ultimately your responsibility to check it carefully as soon as you receive it.