Specialty restaurants

inga418

I'm thinking Cagney's is a must after all the great reviews I've read but I'm thinking about moderno and tepyanaki too. I don't see them mentioned as much. Fussy me just ate at a Japanese steak house last week for a business meeting and I loved it. I'd love to hear about those two restaurants. Moderno seems interesting. I am a carnivore and love the idea of a variety of meats. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Forums mobile app

I think Teppanyaki is a "must" once every cruise. As for Moderno, we just got back from the Jewel; we've now eatern at Modern four times, and four times have found the meats totally disappointing. The quality of the meat is not that good, and it's often served cold. We've concluded that the concept of a churasscuria can't be pulled off properly on a cruise ship, at least not by NCL. It's just not a busy enough venue for the meats to be coming around as often as they should be, or properly cooked. We're done with Moderno.

I realize that food is very subjective of course.

For us, Cagneys and Le Bistro would be at the top of our list. You can find a Teppanyaki type restaurant in any suburban area. I don't know how many nights you'll have in specialties, but I don't know that I'd waste one there. I've never liked the meats in Moderno. Too tough and and I don't like the flavor. But the salad bar on some ships is a sight to behold. I'd go just for that, and the pineapple of course. They used to have wonderful fried plantains, but they had to ruin them. I don't think La Cucina was mentioned, but we like it. The steaks there are pretty good.

I've not eaten at Moderno, but eat at the Teppanyaki restaurant a couple of times during each cruise. The show is fun, not as much entertainment as land restaurants, because of the constraints they are under with regard to using fire. I think the food is excellent. I would rate it my second favorite, right after Cagney's.

#1 le Bistro

#2 Cagney's

#3 Moderno

Small ships of course.

la Cuchina is over-rated in my estimation.

Not bothered with Teppanyaki (Japanese food not my thing!!)

Like the Chinese once a cruise.

But if you go to Moderno make sure you have the chowder. The salad bar is really good. You could get your money's worth from those without any meat!!

We ask for a menu to be left on the table and then order from that, it usually ensures the meat is hot. Also watch what has been brought out and which has "run out" ; ask for that one!!

I would love to eat chowder and salad, have a sleep, then go on to the meats!!

Order the fish dishes at the start they are freshly cooked. Don't miss the pineapple. The plantains are good too.

But if you go to Moderno ..

We ask for a menu to be left on the table and then order from that, it usually ensures the meat is hot.

We tried that just last week on the Jewel. First, it seemed to be a hassle for the servers to understand that we only wanted a couple of specific types of beef, and had no interest in the chicken, sausage, etc., and the other cuts of beef. When that part was clear, we did get what we wanted, but it was still cold. As I said above, we're done with Moderno. I'm glad others have had better experiences.

We were on the jade a few weeks ago and went to cagney's, la cucina, teppanyaki, and moderno.

Our experience at cagney's was disappointing but I'm willing to write it off as an off night. First when we came in there was a woman at the hostess stand complaining about how bad her meal was and when she send things back the replacements were no better. We ordered salads (good, had to screw up salads), 2 filet mignons medium with broccoli, truffle fries, and garlic mash potatoes. We received 1 mid well filet and 1 mid rare filet, and nothing on the table had a hint of flavor. Due to the lady's complaints we just ate what we wanted and left rather than send it back (we had SDP as a perk).

Teppanyaki was good. We have a restaurant like that near us that we go to often and it was equivalent to that. So nothing special, but certainly good food.

La cucina was delicious, can't rate it better than say, Olive Garden, but in comparison to some of the other meals we had to the ship, it was at the top.

Moderno we loved. If I could only go back to one that's the one I would go to. We have one Brazilian steakhouse in our city and it's $50 pp, so the $25 they charge on the ship is a heck of a lot more reasonable. Everything there was delicious and the way they serve is fun. Had a garlic sirloin there than while not the best quality meat, was by far my best cooked and flavored steak on the ship. I wouldn't mess with the menu's and ordering. They come around with the meat and tell you what it is and you can take a piece of skip it. It's all part of the fun and the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Getting ready for a March 25 cruise on NCL Escape. I created a Restaurant Information page with menus (as current as I could find) to use. It also has a Sample NCL Beverage List. You can can get the different menus from the Restaurant drop-down top right corner. The Main Dining Room is a little slow as it has seven menus. The beverage list is also there.

We have the 3 UDP and have reservations for:

• La Cucina
  • Cagney's Steakhouse
  • Le Bistro

https://sites.google.com/view/march-25-escape/restaurant-menu

I was on the Epic in January. Food is such a subjective thing. My opinion is that Le Bistro (at least on the Epic) is the best mid-level cruise line restaurant. Teppanyaki, was fun, pretty typical of that kind of restaurant, food quality was very good! La Cucina I thought was good, DW thought it was outstanding! I thought the Chinese restaurant was mediocre at best. Taste was a dissappointment. O'Sheehans was very good.

HTH

While I definitely have favorites, I actually found merit with each specialty restaurant. I'm the one that likes to mix things up and try it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kathy, I totally agree: I think my least favorite is Tepenyaki's but we enjoy them as well. Moderno's gets such mixed reviews, but we absolutely love the restaurant and would never miss eating there on any cruise. We have eaten at Brazilian steak houses on land: yes, some are better but they come with a very high price tag. Of course, my very favorite is Le Bistro.

Cagney's was great I ate there twice and my second choice is Tepenyaki's loved it they did not season the food as much as I have seen on other restaurants of this type but is was still very yummy. And no flaming volcano not allowed to do that on the ship I also ate at Moderno's it was my first time at this type of restaurant and I really was not prepared for the amount and variety of foods they serve but I really enjoyed it. I amd set to go again in 2018 and I am planning the ground work on where to eat already.. Hope you enjoy your cruise

Was on the Escape in December, wasn't pleased with Cagneys, but went to Moderno twice. We loved it so much, all the meats were hot and fresh. Great salad bar, and the pineapple was loved by my table mate. I am not a pineapple person, so I did not indulge.