HAL Coastal Cruises

Loveboat1995

Very fast. You are on the ship around noon and off early the next morning. Normally the one night between Vancouver and Seattle cruises are carry on bags only- no checked luggage. Customs likely a breeze- they will probably just wave you through.

We did one in 1993 when Maasdam was in inaugural cruises and don't plan on doing it again. Seemed everyone was in too much of a rush to do everything possible- especially getting drunk. We are doing our first Coastal since on May on Amsterdam for 3 nights. We have done a few others that were B2B with another cruise but we aren't big fans of even 7 night. Our "sweet spot" seems to be 11-14 nights.

For multiple reasons it would not be our choice. These are generally from Vancouver to somewhere south. More often then not, they are at the end of a longer cruise and most cruisers understand that the last night of nearly any cruise is not the best when it comes to entertainment or even food. Folks are packing, getting ready to go home, going to bed early, etc. The one time we happened to be on a HAL vessel that had a 1 night segement (we were finishing a much longer cruise) many of the 1 day passengers were from the travel industry and taking free "Fam" cruises. Between most of us packing after our long cruise and HAL having a private reception for the travel folks..it was far from a typical evening.

The coastal cruises are a great deal, but I really don't think that they give you a "true" HAL experience.

Hitner has outlined some of the points very well.

We saw a significant difference in the meals in the MDR, etc when our cruise switched to the "coastal" portion.

For multiple reasons it would not be our choice. These are generally from Vancouver to somewhere south. More often then not, they are at the end of a longer cruise and most cruisers understand that the last night of nearly any cruise is not the best when it comes to entertainment or even food. Folks are packing, getting ready to go home, going to bed early, etc. The one time we happened to be on a HAL vessel that had a 1 night segement (we were finishing a much longer cruise) many of the 1 day passengers were from the travel industry and taking free "Fam" cruises. Between most of us packing after our long cruise and HAL having a private reception for the travel folks..it was far from a typical evening.

Yeah, what Hlitner said. I've got one of those coming up on the tail end of an 18-day Circle Hawaii, and I'm not looking forward to it. It'll be a weekend booze-cruise junket for HAL home office staff, boarding in Seattle on Friday at 11 pm! I'm planning to curl up in my cabin on Saturday with my Kindle and some DVDs, order room service meals, and not poke my nose out until we arrive in Vancouver on Sunday and my disembarkation color is called.

I've already endured two 3-day San Diego coastal segments as part of Canal transit itineraries and it wasn't fun. The upcoming one is only going to be worse.

So, to answer the OP's query.....no, a short-segment coastal is no way to be introduced to HAL.

We are on a 12 night in September and realized that at the end we would be one night short for 4 star so booked the 3 night on Amsterdam in a NS to top it off. Dinner is at PG for us every night anyway so that's 2 meals a day in PG. Should be fine.

I have taken several Pacific Coastal cruises and for those of us who live in the area, it's a good way to have a little get-away, long weekend or filler between longer cruises. BUT I won't book one that is less than 3-4 days. Celebrity actually has better choices, some that are 7 days long and better ports. Last year we did one that had an overnight in San Francisco.

Hi all, looking at HAL's website, and was curious about the one night Pacific coastal cruises. Has anyone ever been on them? What are they like? Is it a good way to sample Holland America for those on a budget? Thanks!

I have done one 1-night cruise--on Princess--and I won't do one ever again for all the points made by Frank and others. I'll never do a cruise shorter than 3-nights for the simple fact that I want at least two full days of waking up on the ship and going to sleep on the ship. Otherwise it just doesn't feel like a cruise to me.

There are several 3-4 night itineraries on offer this April and May on HAL; I would strongly recommend one of those as a reasonable sample of a HAL cruise. I just booked a 3-night on Amsterdam today, and I'm expecting it will offer a nice, low key weekend. Good luck with your choice.

Very fast. You are on the ship around noon and off early the next morning. Normally the one night between Vancouver and Seattle cruises are carry on bags only- no checked luggage. Customs likely a breeze- they will probably just wave you through.

We did one in 1993 when Maasdam was in inaugural cruises and don't plan on doing it again. Seemed everyone was in too much of a rush to do everything possible- especially getting drunk. We are doing our first Coastal since on May on Amsterdam for 3 nights. We have done a few others that were B2B with another cruise but we aren't big fans of even 7 night. Our "sweet spot" seems to be 11-14 nights.

I'm with you on the 10-14 night sweet spot. For a guy who used to think 7-nights was quite a cruise, I now do 10-14 night itineraries about half the time. That said, I think I'm on the same 3-night Amsterdam cruise with you with a travel buddy. I'll shoot you an email since I doubt there's a roll call for such a short cruise. Cheers.

Your comments seem to be overly harsh. Our first HAL cruise was a 3-day coastal (which was also from San Diego at the end of a Panama cruise) and we thought it was fine for a starter cruise.

Now that we are older and more experienced with cruising we might not like it as much, but we only have pleasant memories of that first HAL cruise.

igraf

....I've already endured two 3-day San Diego coastal segments as part of Canal transit itineraries and it wasn't fun. The upcoming one is only going to be worse.

So, to answer the OP's query.....no, a short-segment coastal is no way to be introduced to HAL.

[/font][/size]

We have done several of the 1 night trips and will probably do more. It is all about expectation. Certainly not the full HAL experience but you will get to enjoy the ship for a modest cost. Suggest you look at the overall trip in deciding value. We have taken the train between Seattle and Vancouver as an example of an addon experience or have a night in Seattle. 3 night ones are great but there is a greater commitment and a flight involved. Above 3 nights I see it as a full cruise so you have to decide if it is the optimal location for you and appropriate value given weather etc.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

Your comments seem to be overly harsh. Our first HAL cruise was a 3-day coastal (which was also from San Diego at the end of a Panama cruise) and we thought it was fine for a starter cruise.

Now that we are older and more experienced with cruising we might not like it as much, but we only have pleasant memories of that first HAL cruise.

igraf

I wonder what is the consequence of the 3-night being at the end of a Panama Canal cruise specifically? The ship is always in service, so anytime a passenger boards the ship, it's always at the end of someone else's cruise. And I would think that boarding after a long cruise when only a small (or at least partial) number of cabins are turned over would be the ideal time to board. I don't care so much that other passengers will have been on the ship for a couple weeks, as I can't imagine how that will affect my use of the pool, the spa, and the MDR. Anyone care to amplify with specifics?

I have done one 1-night cruise--on Princess--and I won't do one ever again for all the points made by Frank and others. I'll never do a cruise shorter than 3-nights for the simple fact that I want at least two full days of waking up on the ship and going to sleep on the ship. Otherwise it just doesn't feel like a cruise to me.

There are several 3-4 night itineraries on offer this April and May on HAL; I would strongly recommend one of those as a reasonable sample of a HAL cruise. I just booked a 3-night on Amsterdam today, and I'm expecting it will offer a nice, low key weekend. Good luck with your choice.

Amsterdam in May? If so we'll see you there!

My recollection was that the previous passengers were more relaxed (and suntanned) as they had been sailing the tropics for the last two weeks. I can't think of any negative attributes and I agree that this is better than a complete passenger turnover.

I would also add that one can do a lot worse than having San Diego, Victoria and Vancouver BC as port cities!

igraf

I wonder what is the consequence of the 3-night being at the end of a Panama Canal cruise specifically? The ship is always in service, so anytime a passenger boards the ship, it's always at the end of someone else's cruise. And I would think that boarding after a long cruise when only a small (or at least partial) number of cabins are turned over would be the ideal time to board. I don't care so much that other passengers will have been on the ship for a couple weeks, as I can't imagine how that will affect my use of the pool, the spa, and the MDR. Anyone care to amplify with specifics?

It may affect your use of the spa if it is sold out with the current cruisers. It won't affect your use of the pool & MDR at all.

It may affect you using the Pinnacle Grill since many book it to avoid the lack lustre menu that begins to appear in the M.D.R. Once the coastal begins.

There is definitely a difference in the food offerings in the MDR. Our food for the entire 30 day cruise was quite good, nice menu offerings, good food and the menu when San Diego night came was a definite change.

There are also some other differences (at least on our cruises). Mini bars are locked, not available. Bose speakers and binoculars are removed from the Neptune Suites and I assume the binoculars are removed from the Signatures as well.

It was done accidentally to us and when I asked, I received an apology and they reinstated us.

It was made clear to me at that time that certain precautions were taken for the coastals. This was on the Westerdam - sailing from San Diego to Vancouver and on in April & May 2016.

It may affect your use of the spa if it is sold out with the current cruisers. It won't affect your use of the pool & MDR at all.

It may affect you using the Pinnacle Grill since many book it to avoid the lack lustre menu that begins to appear in the M.D.R. Once the coastal begins.

There is definitely a difference in the food offerings in the MDR. Our food for the entire 30 day cruise was quite good, nice menu offerings, good food and the menu when San Diego night came was a definite change.

There are also some other differences (at least on our cruises). Mini bars are locked, not available. Bose speakers and binoculars are removed from the Neptune Suites and I assume the binoculars are removed from the Signatures as well.

It was done accidentally to us and when I asked, I received an apology and they reinstated us.

It was made clear to me at that time that certain precautions were taken for the coastals. This was on the Westerdam - sailing from San Diego to Vancouver and on in April & May 2016.

Thanks for sharing the above, Jacqui. It's all very ponderous.

This upcoming 3-night coastal will the shortest HAL cruise I will have taken out of five thus far, and I'm going with a friend who has never sailed HAL before in lieu of a getaway weekend on land. It makes me wonder a bit why HAL offers these short cruises if they stop serving the good stuff and lock away the fine china?

Thank you all! I have seen that HAL is now offering a four day coastal next year as well as several one and three days that all look appealing. If I go for one, I will probably go for a longer one unless I don't have that option in which case I will take the one day one to get my foot in the door so to speak and take a longer one in the future.

Thanks for sharing the above, Jacqui. It's all very ponderous.

This upcoming 3-night coastal will the shortest HAL cruise I will have taken out of five thus far, and I'm going with a friend who has never sailed HAL before in lieu of a getaway weekend on land. It makes me wonder a bit why HAL offers these short cruises if they stop serving the good stuff and lock away the fine china?

They only offer them because some people want to get off in San Diego (in our case). HAL actually offers the full cruise for just a couple of dollars more than R/T San Diego as a lost leader to try to keep the same passengers on board. Our 33 day cruise was literally $1 and change more than the 30 day last time.

I don't know if all the coastals are this way. Just my experience with the two we did. I was warned by those that had done them before that once the coastal segment started I would see a "change". They were right.

I don't know if the change would be noticeable to those embarking for the coastal or to someone who had not sailed HAL, but it was certainly noticeable to those of us that had been on previously.

Hi all, looking at HAL's website, and was curious about the one night Pacific coastal cruises. Has anyone ever been on them? What are they like? Is it a good way to sample Holland America for those on a budget? Thanks!

We took a 4 day coastal last fall and are taking another one in April. We are 3 days short of 4 stars and experienced cruisers. We saw no difference at all in food and services and would be amazed if we had. And never saw a change at the end of a long cruise when people boarded for a few days . How strange that would have seemed! Why would HAL do that?

There was probably a partial change in crew and entertainers after the 30-day segment.

Obviously a 3-day repositioning cruise is not the same as a 30-day feature cruise. The original poster is not interested in a 30-day cruise at this time, so why berate the point? Let them enjoy their first cruise.

igraf

They only offer them because some people want to get off in San Diego (in our case). HAL actually offers the full cruise for just a couple of dollars more than R/T San Diego as a lost leader to try to keep the same passengers on board. Our 33 day cruise was literally $1 and change more than the 30 day last time.

I don't know if all the coastals are this way. Just my experience with the two we did. I was warned by those that had done them before that once the coastal segment started I would see a "change". They were right.

I don't know if the change would be noticeable to those embarking for the coastal or to someone who had not sailed HAL, but it was certainly noticeable to those of us that had been on previously.

i don't know if all the coastals are this way. Just my experience with the two we did. I was warned by those that had done them before that once the coastal segment started i would see a "change". They were right.

I don't know if the change would be noticeable to those embarking for the coastal or to someone who had not sailed hal, but it was certainly noticeable to those of us that had been on previously.

Exactly!

I have done 4-5 Pacific Coastals and have mixed thoughts on them. We like the 5 day ones as the shorter ones do not make the travel we have to do worthwhile, even if we add a stay for 2-3 days before or afterward.

Pros - Cabin prices normally are very reasonable and we often can get a Neptune Suite for a good price (need to book as soon as they open as these go quickly). We can take carryon luggage instead of full size suitcases. Seems to be more excitement (like party vibe) from passengers, who are generally younger than on a longer HAL cruise.

Cons - the service levels (even in a Neptune) do not seem to be as high as on a longer cruise and the crew seem to be less informed than normal. I expect that this is due to the unusual route for them and being so short it is harder to set up a routine. The seas can be a bit rougher than most other HAL cruises (in North America). The shortness of the cruise makes it feel like you are getting ready to debark shortly after you embark.

Are these Coastals worthwhile for new cruisers to experience HAL? I would say yes, as long as they remember that the service (and some other things) will likely not be as good as on the longer cruises (7 days or more).

We took a 4 day coastal last fall and are taking another one in April. We are 3 days short of 4 stars and experienced cruisers. We saw no difference at all in food and services and would be amazed if we had. And never saw a change at the end of a long cruise when people boarded for a few days . How strange that would have seemed! Why would HAL do that?

I have taken 5 Pacific Coastals, all 3-4 days. I haven't ever seen any difference in food or services either! Granted I didn't want a spa appointment, but we had no problem getting Pinnacle reservations, and our stewards treated us as well as they have on our longer cruises. (4-star). Food was just as good IMO.

I took my best friend on a 4-day to acquaint her with cruising (letting her know that a longer cruise would give her a better idea) ;). I would have been embarrassed if the quality had been lacking.