Cruising Christine turns 40 on the Fascination: a Belated Review

bakersdozen12

St Maarten

This was the last port on our cruise, and the only one in which I did not book an excursion for. I had figured that with a pre-cruise excursion, and four other excursions, we would be dead exhausted by the time we got to this port. In hindsight, I do regret not scheduling something for this day. We definitely could have handled it.

But, we did sleep in that day, which felt nice. And we woke up to quite a surprise too! The CD was announcing that we were docked next to the Vista!

Now, I always look up what ships are in port at the same time as us on any given cruise. I have no idea how I missed that we would be in port with the Vista that day. In any case, she was on her first US sailing that week, so it was kind of a big deal. So we quickly got dressed and while my husband was having breakfast on the lido, I snuck out to the deck to take pictures of the Vista.

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

I was literally drooling over those air bikes, and the lucky people riding them. Can't wait for my chance on the Horizon next year!

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1068_1.jpg

My son would have loved the Vista's Waterworks when he was little:

IMG_1070_1.jpg

IMG_1069_1.jpg

A couple shots of the Vista next to the Fascination from the dock:

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

Other than spending some time shopping at port, we didn't do much in St Maarten, regrettably. And we didn't spend too much time walking around either because it was beyond hot and muggy. For anyone worried that cruising to the Southern Caribbean in November is too late in the season: you have nothing to worry about. It is hot and perfect beach weather. I really should have planned a beach day on this day. In addition to now needed a do-over for St Lucia, I think we also need a do-over for St Maarten.

I mentioned previously that I like to collect carved parrots from the ports we visit. Most of the time, they are just the cheap, mass-produced kinds. But occasionally I find something special. In St Maarten I was able to find just this. There's a little cart outside, near the entrance of the port, where they sell carvings made from tagua nuts. They are unique and very pretty, and reasonably priced too. I recommend checking this cart out if you are looking for a nice souvenir. Lots of different carvings of various sizes, and with such a wide variety that most anyone can find something they like.

IMG_6271.jpg

Well, I think that's pretty much it for this review. I could not possibly recommend this itinerary more. For those who won't consider it due to the Fascination being an older ship, all I can say is that trust me, the ship doesn't matter. You are really not on the ship much. And, I think the Fascination is just fine anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to sail again on a Fantasy-class ship.

Next up will be my review of my Alaska cruise in a couple months. We will be on the first Alaska sailing of this year for the Legend, and I've booked a couple non-Carnival excursions for that one as well that I'm looking forward to reviewing. Counting down the days for that one!

A couple shots of the Vista next to the Fascination from the dock:

IMG_1061.jpg

This picture looks so odd to me. To see the Fascination beside the Vista and the shape...it looks like the Fascination is a straight building or hotel. So odd. :')

First let me say I'm so sorry for all of your losses, surgeries, and anything else that has happened along the way. You've had a lot to deal with lately. :(

DEFINITELY come in early (even days if you can) to PR and explore. I think this is what made it one of our favorite "extended" trips. There's just so much to see and do. The place is amazing!

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a little rough, but having cruises to look forward to always makes things better.

I'm definitely regretting not flying into San Juan early. And thanks for the tips about Coki Beach. Let's see, along with do-overs needed for St Kitts and St Maarten, if I add San Juan and St Thomas (for Coki)...I guess that means that I definitely need to do this one again someday! With all of my already booked cruises, I'm just going to have to find a way to sneak it in. :D

Great review! Did this cruise on the Liberty. My son is a freshman at college in NH too. Why did they pick that ? Lol. Miami would be better.

I know, right?! My son just doesn't share my love of beaches. I don't get it. If I were him, I would have chose someplace sunny like Florida. But oh well, I suppose him going to school in-state means that with all of the money I save on room and board, I can afford to travel more!

Great review! We are going on this cruise next weekend and I can't wait. Do you know if you can request a hair dryer for your room?

I'm not sure. I actually invested in a travel sized hair dryer just for this cruise. I'm probably going to take it with me from now on anyway since it works so well, and I sometimes find the ones that Carnival does have to be awkward to use since the cord doesn't reach very far.

This is what I bought, and it's a nice, small size but works as good as larger dryers:

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/15093664362150566997?lsf=seller:7815,store:1823731767987967495&prds=oid:7525613203053338246&q=travel+hair+dryer&hl=en&ei=pui8WN-rIIqUjwTC8go&lsft=gclid:CI3in6-IwdICFZGCswodi9QK9Q

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This picture looks so odd to me. To see the Fascination beside the Vista and the shape...it looks like the Fascination is a straight building or hotel. So odd. :')

Funny you mentioned that since my first reaction was "wow, the Fascination looks like a white slab of a wall next to the Vista. Then I also thought: "Are those cove balconies under the life boats?? That looks interesting!!"

It is odd! And the picture kind of makes it seem like there isn't much of a size difference, but trust me, there is. I wanted to get a look at the Havana area, so I walked allllllll the way to the front of the Fascination, but couldn't even get a peak at the back of the Vista because it's so much longer than the Fascination. It really is such a huge ship in person.

I remember commenting after your section on Barbados where one of your stops was Bathsheba and how it was cloudy...just like the day we were there on our Liberty cruise in 2015. You mentioned St. Lucia and the rain. Wow, you were right about buckets!!! I feel so terrible that happened. You definitely need a redo. :) Both times we were in St. Lucia and Jalousie Beach (same beach) we really lucked out with beautiful weather. On our Valor cruise, St. Kitts was our rainy day. We really couldn't see much and ended up back on the ship early. I was always saying we needed a "redo", especially after seeing so many beautiful pictures of St. Kitts in others' reviews. On our 2nd go around, on Liberty, we ended up with a beautiful day in St. Kitts. So glad the weather was nice for the rest of your cruise. St. Maarten...I had never heard of the Tagua nuts/carvings. I must have missed them. One of those is on my list for the next time, they are really pretty. Thanks for adding a picture of those.

I really enjoyed your review of our favorite itinerary and your pictures are just gorgeous! Thank you for taking the time to do a review.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

St. Maarten...I had never heard of the Tagua nuts/carvings. I must have missed them. One of those is on my list for the next time, they are really pretty. Thanks for adding a picture of them.

I really enjoyed your review of our favorite itinerary and your pictures are just gorgeous! Thank you for taking the time to do a review.

Those carvings really were awesome. I wish I had taken a picture of all of them. They really did have some unique ones, in all different sizes. I actually only took that picture so that I would remember what they were called.

Anyway, glad you liked the review! I was hoping that even though it was late for me to be writing it, that someone would at least find it informative because we did use some really great non-Carnival vendors.

Can anyone tell me why I can't see pics? Asked on bugs and glitches thread but never got an answer.

Hmm, not really sure. I sometimes have a problem where I can't see pictures if I'm using the app on my phone, but don't have the same problem on the computer. Although in this case I can see the pictures that I posted here in both the app and online. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge than me will have an idea. I know very little about computers and the like. Fortunately I'm married to an IT guy or else I probably would still be using dial-up internet. [emoji6]

I'm not sure. I actually invested in a travel sized hair dryer just for this cruise. I'm probably going to take it with me from now on anyway since it works so well, and I sometimes find the ones that Carnival does have to be awkward to use since the cord doesn't reach very far.

This is what I bought, and it's a nice, small size but works as good as larger dryers:

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/15093664362150566997?lsf=seller:7815,store:1823731767987967495&prds=oid:7525613203053338246&q=travel+hair+dryer&hl=en&ei=pui8WN-rIIqUjwTC8go&lsft=gclid:CI3in6-IwdICFZGCswodi9QK9Q

Thanks! :)

• 1 month later...

We are visiting St Kitts in Feb 2018 and already had planned on Grey's tours but then in Nov 2018 for my 60 bday and retirement cruise we are doing a 14 So Caribbean on the Breeze which I am SO excited about. One of the stops is St. Lucia but I haven't decided between Spencer Ambrose or Cosol. I like the idea of more beach time and less time on those winding roads, but if we get rain, not getting pelted to death would be nice too. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to write this review with all,the pictures. She makes waiting over 300 days easier!

We are visiting St Kitts in Feb 2018 and already had planned on Grey's tours but then in Nov 2018 for my 60 bday and retirement cruise we are doing a 14 So Caribbean on the Breeze which I am SO excited about. One of the stops is St. Lucia but I haven't decided between Spencer Ambrose or Cosol. I like the idea of more beach time and less time on those winding roads, but if we get rain, not getting pelted to death would be nice too. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to write this review with all,the pictures. She makes waiting over 300 days easier!

You are very welcome! You will love these ports. They are just gorgeous. And there so many options for non-Carnival excursions at these locations, so I'm sure you'll be able to find just want you are looking for. Hope you have a great birthday, and congrats on your impending retirement!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great Review Thanks for posting! I'll be on her in Nov and I see your cruise the Horizon too!

Nice! You will love the Fascination cruise. I typically try to book cruises that don't repeat ports if at all possible, but this is one I wouldn't hesitate to book again. The ports are incredible, and there is so much to do at each one of them! In fact, I'm fairly certain that we definitely will book it again some day. And this time, we will spend more time in San Juan either pre or post cruise.

That's awesome about the Horizon! I am so incredibly excited for that cruise. This will be a new experience for me because I have never flown overseas to Europe before, and Italy has always been the one country I have wanted to visit more than any others. I love how this one has four stops in Italy. If you count Sardinia. I'm still not sure how that one works. I think it's part of Italy, but not entirely sure. But the other ports...I'm drooling over them while planning on what to do at each one!!!

Wonderful review and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the review.

Glad you guys liked the review! I absolutely love writing them, mostly because I know that I get so much from other people's reviews here on Cruise Critic. I feel like my vacations have been so much better due to being able to go into them so informed about each port and what they have to offer, thanks to everyone who takes the time to share their experiences here in this forum.

IDK how I missed this when you first wrote it, but found it this morning and read beginning to end in one sitting! Thank you for sharing your journey and sympathy on your losses and health setbacks. We did a Pride Journey cruise last March and the BIG THING for me was a visit to St. Lucia. I have ALWAYS wanted to go there and I was so excited! I almost thought seeing the Pitons would be a let down because I have seen so many pictures and built it up so much in my mind, but I was blown away by the sight of them! We are not "excursion bookers" but I did splurge on Spencer, more from Pgsteelerfans aka Holly's recommendation and we were lucky to have a gorgeous day and I think this was the BEST day of my cruising experience. We also had lunch in that little "restaurant" even tho it was a sunny day. I know Holly's day they ate on the beach. Not sure why, maybe # of people on the excursion. Oh, and the ride BACK to the ship: yea, Spencer literally FLEW thru the water. He was actually having a race with his other boat/driver and my heart was in my throat and I was hanging on to all my other body parts! :eek:

Now, I am not a snorkeler. I usually just go in the water up to my waist and float around! But I have always been fascinated with the underwater pictures. Mitsugirly/Kim's pictures I just DEVOUR. We will be going to St. Tom again in January on another Pride Journey cruise. I wonder if going to Coral World would be a good idea. I could go "snorkeling" without going in the water lol. I had kind of planned on going to Sapphire Beach, but Coki looks like a great option.

Love your quote on your lamp shade. I will share ONE of my favorites: "The secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

Thanks again for the share and happy cruising to you!!

IDK how I missed this when you first wrote it, but found it this morning and read beginning to end in one sitting! Thank you for sharing your journey and sympathy on your losses and health setbacks. We did a Pride Journey cruise last March and the BIG THING for me was a visit to St. Lucia. I have ALWAYS wanted to go there and I was so excited! I almost thought seeing the Pitons would be a let down because I have seen so many pictures and built it up so much in my mind, but I was blown away by the sight of them! We are not "excursion bookers" but I did splurge on Spencer, more from Pgsteelerfans aka Holly's recommendation and we were lucky to have a gorgeous day and I think this was the BEST day of my cruising experience. We also had lunch in that little "restaurant" even tho it was a sunny day. I know Holly's day they ate on the beach. Not sure why, maybe # of people on the excursion. Oh, and the ride BACK to the ship: yea, Spencer literally FLEW thru the water. He was actually having a race with his other boat/driver and my heart was in my throat and I was hanging on to all my other body parts! :eek:

Now, I am not a snorkeler. I usually just go in the water up to my waist and float around! But I have always been fascinated with the underwater pictures. Mitsugirly/Kim's pictures I just DEVOUR. We will be going to St. Tom again in January on another Pride Journey cruise. I wonder if going to Coral World would be a good idea. I could go "snorkeling" without going in the water lol. I had kind of planned on going to Sapphire Beach, but Coki looks like a great option.

Love your quote on your lamp shade. I will share ONE of my favorites: "The secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

Thanks again for the share and happy cruising to you!!

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review! I agree, the Pitons are amazing to see in person. There's just something so majestic about that beach, with the Pitons to the left, and more mountains and cliffs to the right. You just feel like you are in a little private paradise that's hidden from the rest of the world. Something that you would see in the movies. If I ever do this cruise again (and I think I will), having a redo of St Lucia will be the main reason. I really want to go back and enjoy it again, but with nice weather.

Coral World definitely exceeded my expectations. I had pictured the place being small, but there is so much to see. And for people that don't want to go snorkeling in the ocean, it gives you a chance to view below the ocean without actually getting wet. It really is cool.

And I know what you mean about Mitsugirly's snorkeling photos. I drool over them! Someday I think I'm going to invest in a better underwater camera and maybe if I'm lucky, I can get some photos that are almost as good as hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review! I agree, the Pitons are amazing to see in person. There's just something so majestic about that beach, with the Pitons to the left, and more mountains and cliffs to the right. You just feel like you are in a little private paradise that's hidden from the rest of the world. Something that you would see in the movies. If I ever do this cruise again (and I think I will), having a redo of St Lucia will be the main reason. I really want to go back and enjoy it again, but with nice weather.

Coral World definitely exceeded my expectations. I had pictured the place being small, but there is so much to see. And for people that don't want to go snorkeling in the ocean, it gives you a chance to view below the ocean without actually getting wet. It really is cool.

And I know what you mean about Mitsugirly's snorkeling photos. I drool over them! Someday I think I'm going to invest in a better underwater camera and maybe if I'm lucky, I can get some photos that are almost as good as hers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy cruising and good luck with your underwater adventures! I feel EXACTLY the same way about the Pitons! When I was in the boat and saw them for the lst time standing tall in the purple blue sky I was just amazed at the singular beauty of them. Okay, I am off to research Coral World. So glad I found your review with that great idea! ;) And I am going to look for those "nut sculptures" in St. Martin too. We were there on the last Journey cruise and had an excursion that we were late getting to, so we rushed thru the port. Going again in January so I will be sure to keep a look out! They look like fun gifts to bring home.