Carnival Glory Drydock Update

Shaded Lady

I asked John Heald about this today. Here's his response:

"Yes, the work will be completed during the forthcoming drydock the ship will receive the wonderful and exciting waterworks. These three slides will add huge excitement and fun to the ship. Construction has already started which means unfortunately the current waterslide and forward pool are out of commission. However all the other pools , food services, Guys etc and all of the hotel services and entertainment and deck parties are in full operation and I'm sure you will continue to have a brilliant time. Thank you for your understanding and please let me know if you have any further questions."

Note: He didn't answer my question as to why the Carnival website says it will be completed after dry dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I asked John Heald about this today. Here's his response:

"Yes, the work will be completed during the forthcoming drydock the ship will receive the wonderful and exciting waterworks. These three slides will add huge excitement and fun to the ship. Construction has already started which means unfortunately the current waterslide and forward pool are out of commission. However all the other pools , food services, Guys etc and all of the hotel services and entertainment and deck parties are in full operation and I'm sure you will continue to have a brilliant time. Thank you for your understanding and please let me know if you have any further questions."

Note: He didn't answer my question as to why the Carnival website says it will be completed after dry dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Guess it's just another case of Carnival being consistently inconsistent. We'll find out what the real deal is after she comes out of dry dock.

As we are on the first cruise post dry dock (March 11th), it looks clear from carnivals wording that the waterworks will not be operational along with the whirlpool and smaller pool there. The best we are hoping for now is that the construction phase is complete and at the very least they can get rid of those hideous screens causing an eyesore across lido deck. Maybe they just need the 2 weeks after dry dock for stuff like hooking up the water systems, testing etc, rather than them actually constructing the 3 slides during those 2 cruises which would be not only an eyesore but I would imagine also a lot of noise and distraction

I've been looking for current posts from the glory and haven't been able to find any. can you tell me where you found this? thanks! :)

someone attached it to a question to John Heald on facebook when they asked about the construction works and the dry dock

People amaze me. They only get 2 weeks in dry dock. some upgrades need longer then 2 weeks and sometimes they need to start early and even finish after in order to make their ship as great as they are. They have to keep up with the times and add more features and build better features to keep up with the competition. Would you rather they keep the old stuff on board and not upgrade anything? just keep all the old 1990's stuff or early 2000 stuff? Gotta keep changing and upgrading when they can and that being dry dock. but some things cant all be done during dry dock and they need to start early. and finish after. My last cruise I booked on Splendor just after itsdry dock. I booked a balcony room on Lido deck towards the front and one reason being it was close to the forward "secret" deck at the front of the ship. While it was in dry dock someone posted pictures of the work they were doing and they added Scenic ocean view rooms above the captains deck where the Lido decks secret deck was. All well. nothing i can do about. I had a great location balcony room and just had to go 1 deck up or a couple decks down to one of the other forward decks. Didnt ruin my cruise any.

I'll be on Glory in April 2018, I might have to try the new water slides though but if it was shut down for some reason during our cruise still not going to ruin my cruise. somethings are just out of our control and Carnivals control. Carnival cant wave a magic wand and poof its built or fixed, everyone is happy.

People amaze me. They only get 2 weeks in dry dock. some upgrades need longer then 2 weeks and sometimes they need to start early and even finish after in order to make their ship as great as they are. They have to keep up with the times and add more features and build better features to keep up with the competition. Would you rather they keep the old stuff on board and not upgrade anything? just keep all the old 1990's stuff or early 2000 stuff? Gotta keep changing and upgrading when they can and that being dry dock. but some things cant all be done during dry dock and they need to start early. and finish after. My last cruise I booked on Splendor just after itsdry dock. I booked a balcony room on Lido deck towards the front and one reason being it was close to the forward "secret" deck at the front of the ship. While it was in dry dock someone posted pictures of the work they were doing and they added Scenic ocean view rooms above the captains deck where the Lido decks secret deck was. All well. nothing i can do about. I had a great location balcony room and just had to go 1 deck up or a couple decks down to one of the other forward decks. Didnt ruin my cruise any.

I'll be on Glory in April 2018, I might have to try the new water slides though but if it was shut down for some reason during our cruise still not going to ruin my cruise. somethings are just out of our control and Carnivals control. Carnival cant wave a magic wand and poof its built or fixed, everyone is happy.

You are missing the point. No one said they do not want to see the ship get upgraded. What people were mad about is that they book the cruise for their kids and the kids will be disappointed hearing that there will be no waterslide. That is something kids look forward to. I also agree with one poster that Carnival should have made that information public a long time ago so people could decide whether or not the want to book. I am sure they did not suddenly plan it on 2/1/17 when it was first made public. Vacations may not be ruined as a result of this but it will create a lot of anger.

You are missing the point. No one said they do not want to see the ship get upgraded. What people were mad about is that they book the cruise for their kids and the kids will be disappointed hearing that there will be no waterslide. That is something kids look forward to. I also agree with one poster that Carnival should have made that information public a long time ago so people could decide whether or not the want to book. I am sure they did not suddenly plan it on 2/1/17 when it was first made public. Vacations may not be ruined as a result of this but it will create a lot of anger.

I agree wholeheartedly. If it's just my DH & me on our cruise, I'd absolutely book a ship without a slide, and perhaps with reduced number of pools. Doesn't matter to me. But if I'm bringing my 8 YO grandson, you bet I wouldn't be happy to find out 30 days before our cruise that he won't have access to those things that he's been anticipating for ages.

Carnival doesn't decide these things last minute. (If they do, they need to hire me as their project manager to get a better handle on things! In my job if I was this slipshod in my planning I'd be unemployed in a hurry!) So assuming they knew 6 months ago that Glory was going to dry dock and based on their plans, they'd need to shut down slides & pools early, and might need to extend construction into the post-dry dock timeframe, they owe it to their customers to make them aware of it. Hotels do it all the time!

Well I know my "sons" will be disappointed in the slide being out. As this is their first time cruising, they were looking forward to it, as our cruise is 3-18. Two of the boys have their own pools, so that is why they were looking forward to this one.

Very happy there will be upgrades for future sailings! However, we just decided on and booked our Spring Break 3/18 cruise less than 45 days ago. Had we known there would be construction and no slide, we would likely have made a different (more informed) decision.

First time cruisers, so I'm still hopeful the completion date later than dry dock is inaccurate!

John Heald has just clarified on FB when asked about the conflicting information (Carnival state out of action until 25th March, yesterday he said to someone should be done by end of dry dock).

"Yes and sorry for the confusion. I will say that we hope to have it open after dry dock and as work progresses I will update you so please do stay tuned and I will keep you informed. Thanks so much and if you need anything please do ask me."

John Heald has just clarified on FB when asked about the conflicting information (Carnival state out of action until 25th March, yesterday he said to someone should be done by end of dry dock).

"Yes and sorry for the confusion. I will say that we hope to have it open after dry dock and as work progresses I will update you so please do stay tuned and I will keep you informed. Thanks so much and if you need anything please do ask me."

That's great news for those who will be on it directly after dry dock.