Carnival Glory Drydock Update

Shaded Lady

May 27.... you will be fine. all construction should be completed in March, at least 2 full months before your cruise.

Great!. I was thinking it would be, but then I found all of the horror stories of cruises pre and post dry dock. I thought I would ask. I mean, keeping a ship that size in working order take constant maintenance. I routinely see guys repairing, painting, and all sorts of maintenance tasks, and that is great. I just didn't want my kids to be disappointed because the stuff was still being finished while we were sailing. I have never had a bad experience on Carnival. So, I doubt this cruise will be any different.

Money.

Every day the ship doesn't have passengers on it they lose money. If the rooms and all other amenities are available it is worth it for them to sail and give out 25 OBC (for example) to those who complain.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This isn't entirely accurate. While revenue certainly is a concern, generally the time allowed in dry dock depends on scheduling with the dry dock itself. Work takes place at the Grand Bahama Shipyard where many cruise lines have their ships dry docked. They are limited in space, resources and manpower to complete the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's both. While drydocks are a very limited resource, and scarce real estate, there is nothing stopping Carnival from either putting the ship at one of the "wet berths" at GBSY to do work that does not require time in the drydock. This is very common, and almost universal with cargo ships. But, as noted, with the ship empty, there is absolutely no revenue coming in. And if the work could be done in an additional 3-4 days (given no passengers and much more workers), they would still lose the full week for the additional cruise lost.

It's both. While drydocks are a very limited resource, and scarce real estate, there is nothing stopping Carnival from either putting the ship at one of the "wet berths" at GBSY to do work that does not require time in the drydock. This is very common, and almost universal with cargo ships. But, as noted, with the ship empty, there is absolutely no revenue coming in. And if the work could be done in an additional 3-4 days (given no passengers and much more workers), they would still lose the full week for the additional cruise lost.

I agree with your analysis. What Carnival should have done at a minimum was offer these cruises at 'construction discount' prices. And for folks that booked prior to any announcement of a dry dock, to offer cash back or the ability to change ships without penalty. I sailed the Freedom the last week before drydock some years ago. It was truly no big deal. Sure there was stuff staged but nobody could say it had impacted the cruise in any way. This is entirely different and the consuming public needs to keep close eye on it because these passengers got treated unfairly in the opinion of most.

I just saw this about the compensation. It also said that those on the Glory after drydock won't have Waterworks, so they are being offered a $200 per cabin OBC, or ability to cancel for a full refund or reschedule for a similar sailing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I just saw this about the compensation. It also said that those on the Glory after drydock won't have Waterworks, so they are being offered a $200 per cabin OBC, or ability to cancel for a full refund or reschedule for a similar sailing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks, Nicole! Where did you find the info for after drydock, please?

So Shadedlady, it sounds to me (correct me if I am wrong), the BIG slide is not going to be ready by the 18th, when I had just told my son, that it was going to be. What a disappointment that will be to my 3 sons.:(

Holy poop they just made it right!

I'm getting a 25% refund from this cruise and a 50% credit for my next.

Didn't even gather my thoughts to ask.

Hooray for proactive compensation and appreciation.

Did you get the same call I did telling you they made a mistake and would not be giving the refund or 50% credit? :mad: My Carnival PVP called yesterday to tell me all that they would be doing for me to "make things right" and then called back tonight to say he misunderstood an email.

Did you get the same call I did telling you they made a mistake and would not be giving the refund or 50% credit? :mad: My Carnival PVP called yesterday to tell me all that they would be doing for me to "make things right" and then called back tonight to say he misunderstood an email.

There are 2 different Compensation

Pre Dry Dock Cruises = 25% refund & 50% future cruise credit

Post Dry Dock Cruise = $200 per cabin OBC

We had four couples on the 2/11 sailing and we all received a 25% refund and 50% off a future sailing if used by 9/1/2018. This is limited to the cost of our original cruise price. It was a bit inconvenient to not have access to the part of the ship where the slide was disassembled but it was not something we planned on using anyway. I can tell you though there were quite a few children and parents on board who were not happy. The line at guest services was very long everyday with folks complaining.

Will they still be doing construction work on the April 1 cruise? The goccl.com website says that "Waterworks will be completed post-dry dock". The ship gets out of dry dock on 03/10 and the first sailing appears to be 03/25.

I guess I'm wondering why there's a "post-dry dock cruise" compensation.

Will they still be doing construction work on the April 1 cruise? The goccl.com website says that "Waterworks will be completed post-dry dock". The ship gets out of dry dock on 03/10 and the first sailing appears to be 03/25.

I guess I'm wondering why there's a "post-dry dock cruise" compensation.

The first sailing will be 3/11. The first cruise where the Waterworks will be completed is 3/25. So the 3/11 and 3/18 departures will get compensation.

HOW will we be compensated? Our cruise is the 18th, less than 2 weeks away. I haven't heard from anyone. Is that because I booked it through a travel agent here in KC, and not directly through Carnival, or how do I get compensated for not having (my older sons were really looking forward to the slide) the big slide they they are putting together, etc. to use?

Best information is that you will receive $200 in OBC. The slides will probably be installed but not yet operational on your cruise. The people who cruised before the dry dock had a full fledged construction site going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So Shadedlady, it sounds to me (correct me if I am wrong), the BIG slide is not going to be ready by the 18th, when I had just told my son, that it was going to be. What a disappointment that will be to my 3 sons.:(

Wow, how old are your sons? You told us in another post you turned 74 and recently retired from Starbucks and Frito-Lay there in Kansas City.

Got notice from carnival today after I emailed regarding post dry dock compensation believing that those on cruises without a complete ship should receive a fare reduction. 200 bucks per cabin ship credit didnt cut it and I didnt want to eat $950 in plane fare should I cancel. There are no other cruise options. Their reply was a form letter that did not address my concerns but did say that since I booked thru a travel agent that they could not talk to me, the customer and said that they could only talk to my agent. Talk about lousy customer service. My agent handled my booking, she didn't pay for my Cruise. Why won't they talk to me? So now mtpy agent is contacting carnival to say it's OK to deal directly with me. They don't really want to talk to passengers on the post dry dock cruises. I was told prior to my email to them that I could cancel it to the 18th, the sailing date. That also sound iffy as the guest service phone agent put me on hold after every question. Can't wait to see what shape the ship is in on the first sailing post dry dick.

Also of note, the cruise for 3/18 was not booked until the end of December 2016. I spoke with carnival directly prior to calling my Travel Agent and no mention was made of construction issues. When it was first announced that the ship would not be done for the March 18th sailing, Carnival did not contact me. They emailed my agent to tell me. They are truly afraid to speak with us, the customer.

That is bad customer service on the part of your travel,agent... CCL has a contract with travel agents that they cannot speak directly to you thus bypassing the TAs .... I would switch travel,agencies as it is THEIR job to notify YOU of changes... CCL notifies the person who booked, and according to them, your travel agent is the one who booked in your behalf.